Gibson L-5 Strings-1747945_800-jpg

Flat Wound String Set

• George Benson signature
    • Gauges 013-018-026w-036w-047w-056w
    • Polished (flatwound) strings
    • Authentic sound from 50's and 60's

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I don't know the answer but I thought it best to start knowing something about the construction. Were you able to determine if l5 string core was round or hex? I was not able to determine that.

Which particular string set are you trying to replace? (gauges?)

User Info Menu

John Pearse pur Nickel or Thomastik bebop

User Info Menu

ok lets break it down..the gibbys were a pure nickel wrap on a hex core...thats pretty common...

what gauge you prefer would help...

but i'd recommend checking out ghs pure nickels

GHS Nickel Rockers Wound 3rd Pure Nickel Rollerwounds Electric Guitar Strings

or

GHS Burnished Nickel Roundwound Pure Nickel Electric Guitar Strings

it's been rumored that ghs is oem for gibby

cheers

User Info Menu

How did you determine hex core? I could not find that. Do we assume hex if they do not specifically state round core?

User Info Menu

d-om--

gibson blurb-

Gibson Strings reinvented the modern guitar string by going back to the days of using only the finest pure nickel wire and slowly wrapping it over the highest quality Swedish steel hex core for maximum strength and stability

cheers

User Info Menu

Gibson told me the ES175 '59 VOS model comes with GHS nickel rockers. The Pyramid true vintage seem to give more thunk, while the GHS seem more resonate (makes sense - flat versus round). Personally like both of these over their TI counterparts.

User Info Menu

Personally, I like D'Addario pure nickel strings. They actually make the strings for a number of brands. There are a limited number of string winding factories in the world, which provide strings to many brand names.

User Info Menu

My favourite round-wounds for electric guitars are the John Pearse Archtop strings. Round core, pure nickel. They are only available in .11 and .12 sets (both with wound G). They are very inexpensive too.

User Info Menu

John Pearse Pure Nickel Wound 2900 Heavy (013, .017, .026, .036, .046, .056) and 980M (.013, .017, .026, .035, .045, .057) are almost the same thing.

User Info Menu

John Pearse sells single Pure Nickel Round Wound strings in exactly the gauges of the Gibson L5 strings: 25w, 34w, 44w, 56w.

http://www.jpstrings.com/brstring.htm#Singles

User Info Menu

I use them on my Super 400 CES. Name your price and I'll buy every set you have.
    Thank you.
    John Thornburg
    10093 E. Lake Dr. Englewood CO 80111
    303-956-4505

Quote Originally Posted by rsclosson
    Going through my long neglected drawer of miscellaneous parts and stuff I found several sets of the now discontinued L-5 strings. I am thinking about trying them on my archtop guitar. Normally I use my TI Flatwound 13s but I hate to see strings go to waste.

I am kind of afraid that I will like them too much and my finite supply will spoil me.

Anyone out there have experience with these strings? Any thoughts or opinions?

Thanks in advance.

Just did a search and I’m finding them on several sites. Could it be that Gibson is offering them again?

User Info Menu

These are/were steel is that correct? I tried them once a long time ago.

I much prefer TI Benson strings, night and day difference.

User Info Menu

I was unaware that Gibson makes any strings. I had assumed that they simply purchase them on an OEM basis from one of the existing string manufacturers. Does anyone here know more?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    I was unaware that Gibson makes any strings. I had assumed that they simply purchase them on an OEM basis from one of the existing string manufacturers. Does anyone here know more?
    d'addario is supposedly oem for gibson..as they are for fender...and many others!

cheers

User Info Menu

Interesting discussion.

I really like the sound of the "Gibson" acoustic strings that come with their flat tops too. Very sweet at first.
    But they crap out so fast and so bad that I moved on.

FWIW, Fender branded acoustic strings sound really good for the price too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Longways to Go
    Interesting discussion.

I really like the sound of the "Gibson" acoustic strings that come with their flat tops too. Very sweet at first.
    But they crap out so fast and so bad that I moved on.

almost all new acoustics come with bronze phosphour strings..bright and alive when new, but they "mellow" quickly...try replacing with old school 80/20 bronze strings...not as lively out of the gate, but maintain sweet tone longer

kinda like pure nickels vs stainless steel on the electric strings

cheers

User Info Menu

It was my understanding that Gibson did make there own strings for many decades, but changed over to the D'Addario deal a few years ago

My old favorite round wound for archtops were the Gibson Sonomatics. IIRC the L5 strings were repackaged Sonomatics. They seem to have rebranded them a few times.

They still have their facility in Elgin, Illinois were the strings were made … at least the local Chamber of Commerce still has them listed.

I still have some L5 strings and even some complete Sonomatic packages around here somewhere

The other question is if D'Addario is making strings for Gibson … are they just rebranding D'Addario strings as Gibson strings or is D"Addario actually using the classic Gibson formulas to make the Gibson branded strings?

User Info Menu

Hello
    what brand of string and tension suiting your wes montgomery L5?
    What kind of setup do you have on it (relief, bridge action etc)
    regards

User Info Menu

Thomastik-Infeld JS113 Jazz Swing Flat 0.013-0.053 gauge strings.

These have great feel, reasonable tention, beautiful sound, and they don't feel wimpy. Nothing fouls up an L5 quicker than a skinny set of .010-gauge strings.

User Info Menu

I've owned a couple of L5s but not at the moment, as I switched to LeGrands.

Dimensions are almost the same (scale length, head stock, neck, body - although slightly thinner).

I have always gone for a straight, flat fret board with action "as low as it can go without buzzing". For strings I use Thomastik Infeld George Benson roundwounds 12-53 or I may substitute a few strings with slightly lighter gauges. juststrings.com has individual Thomastik Infeld strings so that you can build a custom set. I should have done that a long time ago.

User Info Menu

seems to be too dull with thomastik js113.
    In my opinion thomastik has left their quality during the years.
    Maybe I would try a fret job and recrowning.

User Info Menu

Yeah, flat wounds are inherently dull. That's fixed, a given, non-negotiable - relative to round wounds.

The trade-off of course is finger squeaks, but a lot of that (not all) can be managed with technique.

User Info Menu

L-5s seem to do quite well with thomastiks. Gb-112 seem to work about the best on mine. Used to use the JS-113 change out b-e to 12-16 but the GBs although stupid money work well. I've tried all of the makers strings, I like nickel best and always end up with thomastik on a L-5