The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

Hi,
    I found this odd Music Man amp. It is different from most I've seen, it has more pots and different chassis. It looks as if it was modified, chassis looks incomplete. What do you guys think? It is worth buying and investing in repair?
    Attached Images Attached Images Music Man 110 RD - worth repairing?-images-1000x700-2-jpg Music Man 110 RD - worth repairing?-images-1000x700-3-jpg Music Man 110 RD - worth repairing?-images-1000x700-5-jpg Music Man 110 RD - worth repairing?-images-1000x700-4-jpg Music Man 110 RD - worth repairing?-images-1000x700-jpeg 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Er...I don't think that's actually a Music Man 110 RD amplifier. The Music Man was a hybrid, solid-state preamp/tube power amp design.

As you point out, the layout of the amp is incorrect--controls, etc. Also, the basic construction of the amplifier doesn't look, to my eye, like the work of Music Man. I'm not saying that the amp is crummy--it might sound good--but I don't think it's actually a Music Man product.

For some reason, it would appear that someone attached a Music Man-style badge and model plate to the front baffle of the amp.

Funny, I've seen people put Fender and Marshall badges on copies of iconic amps like the '59 Bassman, or the Marshall 1959SLP, but I don't believe that I've seen people fake other amps before. New one on me.

Ok, I have found one that looks similar with 12" speaker, - Infrequent Sound technology: Music Man RD series (112RD-50 ??) + Celestion G12S-50

it looks like the amp I posted has messed up chassis

User Info Menu

Yes, I'm wondering where is the pair of power amp tubes?

User Info Menu

Looks like somebody did a DIY science experiment on that amp.

I'd look elsewhere

User Info Menu

I had a Music Man 1-10 RD, and repaired it , which was not easy. The tubes ran near class B, and if the bias drifted ( as it did in mine) it sounded terrible.

However, as other have said, that is not a music man rd 50 amp. Nothing remotely like it.

However, the badges ARE genuine!!!!

User Info Menu

I wouldn't buy that myself -- you really don't know what you're getting there.

User Info Menu

I had a Music Man 112 RD and letting it out of my sight was one of the biggest equipment mistakes I ever made. The amplifier pictured is however, not genuine. I would take a hard pass on that one. Good luck in your amp quest.

User Info Menu

Music Man 110 RD - worth repairing?-musicman-210hd-inside-jpg

For the sake of comparison, here's the back of my Musicman. It's built like a tank.
    Also, my amp has silver grill cloth, beefier toggles and bigger corner protectors.
    Maybe a different generation?

User Info Menu

One possibility is that there may have been, or at least was rumoured to have been, a revival of the MM brand amps in the early 000's, according to the now defunct Musicman forum. I seem to remember that they were being made in Italy, but could well be wrong.

As everone had said, it's not an original 70s/80s Music Man amp, or if it is, it has been modified beyond recognition.

User Info Menu

Ernie ball (The owner of the Musicman brand) has reissued Musicman amps in conjunction with DV Mark. The new reissues are lightweight and built in Indonesia. But the amp in this thread does not look like the new reissue (though it is possible that it is an earlier attempt at a reissue). I would stay away without further info.

Music Man 112-RD Fifty 50 Guitar Amplifier Review

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Longways to Go
    For the sake of comparison, here's the back of my Musicman. It's built like a tank.
    Also, my amp has silver grill cloth, beefier toggles and bigger corner protectors.
    Maybe a different generation?
    The 210HD 130 is an AWESOME amp. But "kinda" heavy.

User Info Menu

i had a musicman rd50 110 for years, it was great, i don't think that is one...
    you can still get used for 5-600 dollars

User Info Menu

My 210 130 was awesome. It was stolen out of my car after a gig in the early 90s. I would still have that amp almost 30 years later. I know that.