The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 42 of 42

User Info Menu

An Ibanez nomenclature idle curiosity? AF is a hollow body, AS is a semi-hollow, what is AM?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TedBPhx
    An Ibanez nomenclature idle curiosity? AF is a hollow body, AS is a semi-hollow, what is AM?
    Smaller size AS.

User Info Menu

Thanks Gary.

rlrhett - admittedly, no. I did play a bunch of guitars when I settled on my Taylor 114CE, including two or three Martins, and at my price point, the Taylor was the best fit for me. Still have it and still love it, at least for my limited acoustic playing.

I have looked at the reviews and specs of the 153 compared to the other Ibby semi's, I like the tri-bridge toggle, the fact that it has a bone (not plastic) nut and that it comes with a case. My Epi came un-played as well, and did need a good setup, but I am happy with it. I'm not an equipment connoisseur (does it show?)

I do have a return policy, so the way I look at it, all I'm risking is the hassle of a re-box and shipping/insurance cost. Not nothing, but not alot.

Do you think that's irresponsible?

User Info Menu

There are two used Ibanez AS93s on craigslist nearby - one for $600, the other for $395, both with HSC. The cheaper one is violin, the other dark sunburst. The cheaper looks like it's had a rough life. The other looks mint, but the seller doesn't say too much about it and the pictures are crappy. I've been tempted to contact the guy with the $600 one.

But that new AM153 just won't let go....

Either way, the mortgage gets paid and the dogs get fed.

User Info Menu

I own an Ibanez JSM10 and an AMV10A. I owned an AS93 and an AS153 in the past. I am a huge Ibanez fan. For me, the neck on all their guitars is very comfortable and the quality is great. The Artstar line has a special fret treatment that is very cool. You will like your choice.

I think there is something to be said for trying the actual instrument that you want to buy. The guitars that I spent extensive time with in the store are still with me. Others are gone. The AMV10 is a good example. I played about 10 guitars in its basic price range. I kept going back to it and knew it was the one. I still love the guitar. Same with my Cordoba Orchestra CE.

The AS153 that I owned was used from Guitar Center. It was in bad condition so I returned it after about 30 days. I am still kicking myself over selling the AS93. I had to cull the heard.

User Info Menu

Thx Knuckles - I was kinda/sorta considering the JSM10 as an alternative to the AM153.

My guy at Sweetwater told me that the 153 arrives to stock this coming week - but they've moved the date back twice so far, and the other online retailers I've look at all say July.

Which is fine - gives me more time to dither.

User Info Menu

Well, it looks like the Ibanez-retailer supply chain agrees with my skeptical friends in this post - the AM153 is not in, and probably won't be until August, by which time the NGD fever will have broken and I'll likely have come to my senses.

S'all good. I still have a very nice Epi ES-339 at hand to burnish my mediocrity.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigBear
    Well, it looks like the Ibanez-retailer supply chain agrees with my skeptical friends in this post - the AM153 is not in, and probably won't be until August, by which time the NGD fever will have broken and I'll likely have come to my senses.

S'all good. I still have a very nice Epi ES-339 at hand to burnish my mediocrity.
    Big Bear

You will not regret your choice and waiting. I own one actually....and looking at it is like a piece of art...but playing it makes you create art.
    Jazz, Blues and probably any style is accessible with that axe.

It can have a soft soft mellow tone...and can growl like a Gibson LP..

Hope you get it soon man...I for one hate waiting.

Take care

User Info Menu

In my opinion the wait is worth it
    The AM153 is in the upper range in the Ibanez catalog, and they are always stellar.
    One alternative would be to search a used AM205, but they are pretty scarce in my experience
    They sometimes appear at very good prices, I once saw a new one from the Prestige line at 1250€ and that was a huge deal..
    But you can't go wrong anyway with high end Ibanez semi hollows.
    In the small factor semi hollows, the very first Es339 style semi hollow way before Gibson, there is the AS50. Great great guitar.. They appear sometimes at good prices under 1000€
    It's always such a pleasure to be in the search phase, can drive you nuts sometimes, don't go too fast would be my advice.

User Info Menu

The 80's old ones are also very good, AM50, AM80, AM100 (if I remember well the model numbers.. Just be sure they are made in Japan)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jx30510
    The 80's old ones are also very good, AM50, AM80, AM100 (if I remember well the model numbers.. Just be sure they are made in Japan)
    After buying my Ibanez AF55 unseen (something I hadn't done before), I must say I have a lot of respect for Ibanez' quality control! The AF55 is their cheapest archtop and made in Indonesia, but everything on that guitar was perfect: fretwork, trustrod, adjustment, intonation, top nut depth, fit and finisch... it even was perfectly tuned to pitch when I took it out of the sturdy cardboard box. And that for a $250 guitar! And the 21K views of the little movie I put of it on YouTube seem to agree ;-)

User Info Menu

I know no one's losing sleep waiting for the next episode of BigBear's New Guitar Adventure....but I cancelled my order.

I have managed to dither my way into a "at my skill level, I really can't justify a new $1000 guitar, even if they had one, and they don't" mindplace, which kinda makes some sense, and kinda doesn't, but after taking a run through McErlain's True Fire course on using the half-step/whole-step diminished scale against the IV chord in a 12 bar blues....I'm thinking my Epi will be plenty of guitar for me for the time being.

GAS swells, and then recedes. So it goes.

Thanks for tuning in.

Hey i picked up a AM153QB about seven months ago it is a wonderful guitar ''But''I had to put a lot of work into the set up. Ill try to make this quick. I think i was sent a floor model, that's the only thing i can figure out as to why it had unmarked bridge(which was bad news cheap).. So to make the guitar perfect i invested $40 bucks into a decent Gotoh bridge and $65 into new locking Gotoh tuners(there tuners weren't very good they slipped sometimes.. i spent a lot of time doing a very detailed set up including leveling and crowning the frets I let you know about this because the guitar is great just mine had problems that stemmed from the dealer not Ibanez. on the positive the ebony neck is very nice and the feel of the neck is nice in between a 50's and 60's LP c shape, the 58 specials are a little different from the older ones but still sound GREAT! One other important thing i should let you know , the neck is put together in a way so as you need to use 10 to 52 strings i found that if you try to move to a normal gauge (10/46,11/50) it messes with the neck and the whole set up goes out of whack. now as far as playing it is a dream sound is great perfect for jazz Blues Rock,and it really have it's own feel..people tell me it sounds like a early 80's LP which is probably do to the ebony fretboard. if you have any other questions feel free to ask.

User Info Menu

I had experience with Ibanez Super 57 pickups.
    They were descent and good pickups.
    I don't know however about Super 58.
    But Super 57's were cool.

Edit:

Sry for disinformation.
    58s were in guitar. I needed to google it.
    I had a chance to try 1970s AR Ibanez. It looked like 1970s version of AR 420.
    It was amazing guitar.
    I wouldn't be sorry if I owned that one.

So Super 58s from Ibanez do get thumbs up from me.
    Last edited by Mecena; 01-25-2020 at 11:18 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by razzax9@gmail.com
    Hey i picked up a AM153QB about seven months ago it is a wonderful guitar ''But''I had to put a lot of work into the set up. Ill try to make this quick. I think i was sent a floor model, that's the only thing i can figure out as to why it had unmarked bridge(which was bad news cheap)..
    Thanks !

I sort of put this purchase on hold, due to some other financial considerations (don't ya hate it when Real Life gets in the way of GAS ??? I suppose you could argue that guitars ARE Real Life...but that's another subject, isn't it ?)

zZounds still has two AM153QA's that are 'blemished', presumably demo's. The $$$ savings make them tempting, but no warranty. In any case, if I bite on one of those, or a new one, it'll have to be later in the year. We have a two week trip to the UK this summer that'll soak up a bunch of my available resources, and for now, my Epiphone ES-339 is keeping me humble.

I appreciate the feedback, and your story about the work you put into it makes me lean toward opting for a new one, rather than a demo.

User Info Menu

I recently did a tone comparison of these guitars. When listening live, I like the JSM10, but on reviewing recorded tracks the AM153 has the sweetest sound (I know, not very descriptive). Very refined jazz tone. It has the 58 Customs with the stamped pickups (2013 I think). In my opinion the ACH humbuckers on the AMV10 hold up very well and are arguably the most well balanced (bass through treble). To be honest, there is not a huge tonal difference between these. All guitars had the same strings, same settings, and through the same amp.It is not really fair to put a Les Paul in this group with regard to a tone comparison. It is like a wild animal next to the Ibby's. The Burstbucker pickups are literally twice as loud as the Ibby's. I am wondering if this is true of the classic 57's as well. Overdrive is just nasty. I have always been a huge Ibanez fan for the playability and quality, and that hasn't changed. However, this Les Paul is really impressive for the money (~$700 used). I really like the neck with the 50's thickness and low frets. I find myself compelled to try a 339.

User Info Menu

Per my last post, I recently did a tone comparison of the JSM10, AM153, and AMV10, along with a 2008 Les Paul faded with Burstbucker Pro pickups. As an update, I took back the AM153 since it was very similar to the JSM10. I hold that the ACH humbuckers are nearly as good as the custom 58's. For context, I am of the opinion that the Gibson pickups are in another league. I am amazed at the range of sounds that I can get just with the volume and tone on the guitar. I typically play with the volume between 5 and 8, but it can be rolled back to as low as 2-3, which gives a really sweet jazz tone. I rarely adjust the volume and tone on my Ibby's, mostly because it doesn't seem to make that much difference.

Shout out to Mike in New Jersey, who regularly posts on the difference in quality between Chinese pickups vs. premium pickups from Japan or the US. I get it now. A side by side comparison really shows the difference.

As far as the construction of the guitar and other hardware, I think the premium Chinese guitars are constructed very well and you get a lot of bling for the money. The bling seems to be the major difference. I like the tuners on the Gibson somewhat better, but the Ibby's work well enough. In fact, if I am sitting on the couch without amplification, I like the AMV10 and Gibson about equally.

I am about to order an ESS-339 with Classic 57's. Curious to put this into the comparison. I would love to compare the Japanese Ibby pickups if I could find a set.