The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 42

User Info Menu

Has anyone played one of these?

Ibanez AM153?-am153_all-jpg

Not a lot of info from jazz players online with regards to this guitar. I know Ibanez Art... guitars are generally well regarded for the money. I'm considering adding a semi hollow to my rotation and I like the smaller body size and block inlays.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I was at GC asking about this guitar in comparison to the AS153 this past weekend and here's what I got out of it.

The Am uses a softer wood for the body compared to the AS series giving it softer tones. Might be more preferable for Jazz apps. Since both the AS and AM have the Tri-tone switch you should be able to get whatever you want out of either.
    Aside from the body wood material the guitars are identical. I believe they are both out of the same factory (Korea), if wrong please correct.

If you want an upscale of the 153 series, AM or AS go for the John Scofield signature model. It comes from the Japanese factory and per the manufacturer rep who was on hand, is a better made piece, hence the additional 1200$.

There also might be differences in the series pickups used, you would have to check the Ibanez website spec sheets for that.

Beyond that you're pretty much looking at the same instrument. There are some pretty good Youtube videos of various people playing the AS and AM models. Might help you choose. the one by Nico Schliemann is a good start as he goes thru all the various tone combinations using the Tritone switch.

hope that is of some help.

Al

User Info Menu

The differences between the AS and AM series has always been body SIZE, the AM being 14 and the AS at 16. Pickups might be the same, Super 58 CUSTOM, an Alnico V. Both made in China, which if you all know now is not a slight, but what matters is Hoshino goes to a factory with a couple samples and says "can you make this, we want X (thousand of them). The Chinese factories have been delivering some outstanding guitars for Hoshion (call them Ibanez if you will but it's Hoshino).

Both superb for the price. You want a really good Ibanez AM, find an early or mid 80s AM200, it'll have Super 58's in it (Alnico II)... Pretty hard to go wrong.

Thanks guys. I went ahead and ordered. I found a blemish model for only $630(down from $1,000). Seemed like too good a deal to pass up.

User Info Menu

Not sure about the pickups as the website does say they are the same as in the Metheny and Scofield models...

User Info Menu

Whatever it is, it's a nice looker!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by m_d
    Not sure about the pickups as the website does say they are the same as in the Metheny and Scofield models...

Lost In Translation

The pickups are Super 58 Custom.
    I say this here so much I'm getting sick of repeating myself.
    In fact I'm going to stop helping you guys, buy it.
    WHY would Ibanez sell a less than $1000.00 guitar (msrp price) with a set of pickups that sell for $150.00 each ?? Come on kiddies, wake up. They are Super 58 CUSTOM, Alnico V.

Nice guitar and if you look around hard you can find a mid 80s AM200 for about $1000.00 which does have Super 58s (alnico II). I use this old ad for my buddy HodckeyDad's AM200

https://reverb.com/item/119711-ibanez-am200-1988-mij

User Info Menu

Well, you just got lucky, BigMike; you can stop repeating yourself and wake us kiddies up:

The Super 58 Custom is no longer called Custom. Ibanez now (from 2014 or -15 on) names this pickup just Super 58. It still has an Alnico V magnet but it is wired differently. It sounds fuller and not as bright as the Custom and looks like the Japanese built Super 58 because it no longer has the printing/engraving S 58-N / S 58-B.

I just bought a Yamaha SA2200 online. A beautiful instrument in every way. Sounded fantastic with the Alnico V humbuckers that Yamaha uses for their high end line made in Japan. I recorded the guitar on my home studio before shipping it back.

I was sorry to send the guitar back; just too heavy for me and it also had tuning issues. I ordered the new Ibanez JSM10 instead for almost half the price (costs $1100 in USA). I could not believe the quality of this Chinese made guitar, incredible smooth playing and flawless "classy" looks.

My biggest surprise, however, was when I layed down the same track in my studio and A/B'd it with the Yamaha. There was virtually no difference in the sound (full neck humbucker).

I learned never to under estimate a Chinese built guitar ever again. I realize, of course, that there is a difference in quality, especially in the hardware and electronics like the potmeters. But after all, the people who build mass produced guitars are not luthiers be it in Japan, USA or ... China.

Here's a lesson for you: Get used to Chinese made high end products, even luxury items.

And here's the biggest digression on this site ever:

I bought a pair of the most expensive Ray Ban sunglasses (no fake, serious eye glass vendor from Europe). They cost the equivilent of $220 and when I saw "Made in China" on them and checked that Made-In-Italy-Ray-Ban actually moved their top line production to China, I almost returned them. That was until I checked the quality of the glass, every little screw and hinge, just to find out that it was better than my old "Made in Italy" ones.

User Info Menu

Birgh4444, so are you saying you had the Sa2200 Those were/are great but darn heavy.

Surely you're not preaching to me about the incredible quality of Chinese goods ?? LOL.
    I own Apple's iPhone 6 Plus, the iPad Air, a 27 inch iMac and not ONE of my guitars is made in America.
    They're all made in China with the exception of an older Greco RG800 (Rickenback 360 clone).

As for the Super 58 debate, Ibanez sort of muddied the water by removing the engraving on the pickup covers. Look at any number of current catalog pages for them and there's conflicting specs all over the place. My one argument still stands: why would any company intent on making a profit put a set of $300.00 pickups in a guitar that sells for less than $1000.00 ?? They would not. Having now owned 4 of the MIC AS103 models in burled maple or spalted maple I can attest that the Customs have a decent tone, BUT they are not the sweet old PAF tone the Super 58s have. I've had AS200s in house at the same time I had those gorgeous 103s, there's a very strong and
    noticeable difference in tone. But if you are budget minded cat many of those MIC guitars are fantastic values. The one AS103 in burled maple I now have had been totally rewired with CTS pots, caps, switches and output jacks and Gibson Classic 57s. WOW...

Can you believe the fretwork on these instruments ?? Love it. Have a great day

Big
    Last edited by BigMikeinNJ; 02-04-2015 at 09:21 AM.

User Info Menu

The main blurb on the Ibanez site still calls them Super 58 Customs.

Pickup swaps aren't a big deal for me although I'm sure I'll be fine with the customs. Worst case scenario I pickup a gisbon PAF just for the neck as I won't be using the bridge pickup.

User Info Menu

drbhrb,

All along I've been touting what great hand built guitars are coming out of China, yeah their one downside is the electronics are not that great. Eastman seems to have caught on and now use Duncan Seth Lovers or 59's in many of their models, placing those instruments into another strata of quality (I own an Eastman T186 that now has Seth Lover 4 wires and Duncan Triple Shot switches, my AS103 with Classic 57s).

Get the guitar, play the heck out of it, if you really bond with it (pretty hard not to) as far as the feel and comfort goes then next time you have a little walking around money get a SET of decent pickups and have the wiring gutted and replaced too. You'll be quite glad you did.

I wish we could sit down on my back deck in warmer weather and run some of these upgraded instruments thru my Fuchs amp so you could hear it for yourself. In the meantime I am very excited for you and the NGD you'll soon be enjoying.

Big

User Info Menu

DRBHRB, I'm pumped for you man, you will be blown away by the overall quality of these Ibanez guitars, especially the fretwork

Birgh4444

I have not played the AS153, and I got the AS103 with Classic 57s already installed by someone two owners before me. The 103 does NOT have a tri sound switch. It's plenty great the way it is. Getting Duncan Seth Lover 4 wires and the Triple shot switches gives you such a palate of pickup sounds. Frankly I think the Classic 57s, the Duncan Seth Lovers and the Ibanez Super 58s (the Alnico II versions) all sound pretty much alike. I've never seen the Classic 57s with 4 wires, you'd have to have a talented tech do that for you. The Seth Lover 4 wires really nail that creamy woman tone PAF sound (like the Classic 57s and Super 58s do).

A for comparing the JSM10 and the 153, if I remember my specs right the JSM10 has an all mahogany neck, I believe the 153 is a 3 ply of maple and mahogany. Get out on YouTube and watch videos describing and playing them. You'll find the info you need.
    Last edited by BigMikeinNJ; 02-04-2015 at 12:30 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeinNJ

Birgh4444

A for comparing the JSM10 and the 153, if I remember my specs right the JSM10 has an all mahogany neck, I believe the 153 is a 3 ply of maple and mahogany. Get out on YouTube and watch videos describing and playing them. You'll find the info you need.
    Thanks again BigMike for useful info.

The funny thing is that there is not one single review (video or written) out there on the JSM10. The guitar came on the market August 2014 if I'm correct.

I guess that it is not selling very well either. This may be due to the fact that, like myself (initially), players have a problem with understanding why John Scofield would be part of and associate (his signature on the headstock) with a product in this price range.

I think that's the perfect price range for a signature model. If I'm paying many thousands of dollars for a guitar I don't want some other guys signature on it(Bob Benedetto nonwithstanding). ~$1,000 attracts fans of the genre and artist.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Birgh4444
    Thanks again BigMike for useful info.

The funny thing is that there is not one single review (video or written) out there on the JSM10. The guitar came on the market August 2014 if I'm correct.

I guess that it is not selling very well either. This may be due to the fact that, like myself (initially), players have a problem with understanding why John Scofield would be part of and associate (his signature on the headstock) with a product in this price range.
    u

When George Benson introduced the LGB30 he said it was to help cats that wanted his LGB300 guitar but could not afford it, thus the MIC LGB30. I have not seen JS say anything to that effect, but maybe that is the same thing Ibanez did with Pat Metheny's guitars, come out with a lessER but affordable artist model. See my train of thought there ??

User Info Menu

According to the Ibanez rep that was in the store at the time, that's exactly what they did.

Well, it showed up(incredible fast!). Per usual with blemish items I've bought in the past, I can't find a single thing wrong with it. Body size is perfect, fit and finish is spot on, and the neck is nice and clubby like I prefer. I feel like I ripped someone off only having spent ~$600 on such a nice guitar. Still need to get it set up with heavier strings but it's definitely a keeper.

User Info Menu

The Super 58 Custom is no longer called Custom. Ibanez now (from 2014 or -15 on) names this pickup just Super 58. It still has an Alnico V magnet but it is wired differently. It sounds fuller and not as bright as the Custom and looks like the Japanese built Super 58 because it no longer has the printing/engraving S 58-N / S 58-B.

RE: above
    I have two gold pickups (new) from an Ibanez dealer. They came in plastics bags with P/N tags 3PU1J158G1 and 3PU1J158G2. There's no numbers on the cover but on the bottom it's stamped SUPER 58 on both of them. I can't find any markings to determine which is which (neck or bridge) and the dealer says they are just the way they came from Ibanez. Ordered but not picked up. 2 questions?
    1- How can I tell which neck and which is bridge??
    2- These seem to be what you've discussed??

Thanks!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SPARECHANGETER
    I have two gold pickups (new) from an Ibanez dealer. They came in plastics bags with P/N tags 3PU1J158G1 and 3PU1J158G2. There's no numbers on the cover but on the bottom it's stamped SUPER 58 on both of them. I can't find any markings to determine which is which (neck or bridge) and the dealer says they are just the way they came from Ibanez. Ordered but not picked up. 2 questions?
    1- How can I tell which neck and which is bridge??
    2- These seem to be what you've discussed??

Thanks!!

1 - The one ending with G1 is the neck and G2 is the bridge.
    2 - These are not the China-made 58's that were discussed. These are the legendary 58's made in Japan. Models like the AS200 and JSM100 have these.

User Info Menu

Hey all - new guy here. I currently play an Epi ES-339, and like it quite a lot. It was gift last year from my wife for my 60th birthday.

I've been jonesing for an Ibanez AM153QA - my other functioning electric is a shredder Ibby (SZR520), and I also have an ancient 2350 LP copy that needs some help. The new 153 should be available in a few weeks, and my guy at Sweetwater is going to hold one for me.

I like Ibanez guitars and they do seem to have a good rep these days for their semi-h guitars.

Anyone here have one, and can recommend, or....?

User Info Menu

BigBear, welcome! You will probably lose sleep just waiting for that email notification that it has shipped! If it's anything like my Ibanez AM-83 LTD, you will very likely smile each (and every) time you pick it up for practice! Keep us updated.

User Info Menu

You are basically just looking at the Ibanez version of the guitar you already own. Why?

User Info Menu

Thanks all.

Mr gumbo....you do raise a fair question, and without spinning too deep into the "I want/I need" thing that conflicts some guitar players and their equipment acquisitions, I'll just say that I think the Ibanez has a better build quality and may be better suited to what I aspire to play. I haven't fully committed to the purchase - unlike some, I'm not made of money - but I'll confess to a little "shiny new toy" affliction, and after a year of some financial challenges from which my wife and I are just emerging, I'd kind of like to treat myself.

Is that a great answer? Not really....

While we're on the subject, this guy has some thoughts on the matter.....cheers!

User Info Menu

Hey @BigBear, have you played that AS153 in particular? If you have and it spoke to you BUY IT!!! Finding a guitar that fits you is an opportunity not to pass up. 25 years ago, with my first real paycheck, I bought a Martin D18. I played maybe a dozen others at two storeswhen one just was "right". I still have that guitar. I have probably played dozens of friends' D18s over the years and still pick this old guy up and can't believe how magical it is.

If it is just the model or Brand you are interested proceed with caution. There is quite a bit of variability within a model line. I've said this before, but guitars are not like cars. One Ford Focus is pretty much going to drive just like the next one of the same model and trim. You can have two AS153's and wonder if they are even from the same factory (hint, the probably aren't). Because I make guitars as a side business I make it a point to go in and try whatever arch top or semi I find in any music store or GC I happen to be passing. I have played Epi's that are sublime and Gibson's that are an embarrassment. Ibby's that felt underpriced and ones that made you wonder if someone didn't spill a bucket of poly on it or mistakenly grab a neck out of the reject bucket.