The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 63 of 63

User Info Menu

That damaged label would concern me. There may be an innocent explanation. I would bring a mirror with and examine the inside of the guitar for water damage myself.

That said, labels do fall off and it is possible that it somehow got damaged outside of the guitar. Ask the seller when you have the guitar in hand, before forking over the cash. Good luck!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger View Post
    That damaged label would concern me. There may be an innocent explanation. I would bring a mirror with and examine the inside of the guitar for water damage myself.

That said, labels do fall off and it is possible that it somehow got damaged outside of the guitar. Ask the seller when you have the guitar in hand, before forking over the cash. Good luck!
    Yes, that is the first thing the luthier did after purchase this morning. We saw the two glue points where the label came off. It all checked out with the luthier, tip top shape!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tomvwash View Post
    Yes, that is the first thing the luthier did after purchase this morning. We saw the two glue points where the label came off. It all checked out with the luthier, tip top shape!

Attached Images Attached Images Gibson L-5: Does the model year of a James Hutchins signed L-5 matter?-l-51-jpg Gibson L-5: Does the model year of a James Hutchins signed L-5 matter?-l-52-jpg 

User Info Menu

I have a 2002 ES-5N Switchmaster with a label that fell off. The dealers who had it left it unglued. Tom Gould was the first dealer who listed it on gbase. It remained unsold as Tom asked over $4400 for it. That was way above market price back in 2012. Tom Gould traded it in part to Dave's Guitars for the Super 400 Charlie Christian Natural and Super 400CESN Thinline Switchmaster. These latter two guitars found their way to two forum members here eventually. I bought the 2002 ES-5N from Dave's. Dave's had the Super 400CCN for sale priced at $8000 as a used guitar! I know because I nearly bought it from Dave's in 2012. The Super 400CES Thinline Switchmaster was higher priced at over $12500.

Sorry for the ramble. I wonder what kind of Gibson appropriate glue I could use to reattach the label. It is in a ziplock sandwich bag in the case.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
    I have a 2002 ES-5N Switchmaster with a label that fell off. The dealers who had it left it unglued. Tom Gould was the first dealer who listed it on gbase. It remained unsold as Tom asked over $4400 for it. That was way above market price back in 2012. Tom Gould traded it in part to Dave's Guitars for the Super 400 Charlie Christian Natural and Super 400CESN Thinline Switchmaster. These latter two guitars found their way to two forum members here eventually. I bought the 2002 ES-5N from Dave's. Dave's had the Super 400CCN for sale priced at $8000 as a used guitar! I know because I nearly bought it from Dave's in 2012. The Super 400CES Thinline Switchmaster was higher priced at over $12500.

Sorry for the ramble. I wonder what kind of Gibson appropriate glue I could use to reattach the label. It is in a ziplock sandwich bag in the case.
    Interesting story. Mine is in a ziplock now as well. I want it back on (inside), of course, but probably will have the luthier do it, along with a setup.

User Info Menu

They must be using some weak glue, the "Master Model" label in the only modern Gibson I own was floating around inside the guitar when I bought it. I never glued it back in, the next owner can if they please.

User Info Menu

It is this called resale value that concerns me: how much does an unglued or lost label affect the resale?

I am aware of the feigned conniption fits lowball buyers go into when the dastardly Gibson invention of the Noughties called the COA is missing. It is just a ploy to get a lowball price. My answer is that there was a time when Gibson issued no COAs with their guitars. Would they be any less authentic then? I hate the damn COA. Who knew that buyers would put a value on it?

Sorry for the ramble again.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
    It is this called resale value that concerns me: how much does an unglued or lost label affect the resale?

I am aware of the feigned conniption fits lowball buyers go into when the dastardly Gibson invention of the Noughties called the COA is missing. It is just a ploy to get a lowball price. My answer is that there was a time when Gibson issued no COAs with their guitars. Would they be any less authentic then? I hate the damn COA. Who knew that buyers would put a value on it?

Sorry for the ramble again.
    I figure that buyers who are ignorant enough to demand a COA for a guitar that never had one in the first place are too much trouble to deal with in any case.

An unglued or lost label should not affect resale value, but it can scare buyers who do not have the sophistication to determine if the guitar is real or fake. It is easy enough to reglue a label that has come off. Missing labels of some years can be found in reproduction.

User Info Menu

Hi
    could this be the signature of James D. Culberson?
    It's from a 2015 L-5 Lee Ritenour
    Thanx, Rainer

Gibson L-5: Does the model year of a James Hutchins signed L-5 matter?-gibson-lee-ritenour-l5-signatur-jpg

User Info Menu

If you can't read it, it probably is. It took me a while looking at guitar labels to decipher my label.
    Thanks John

User Info Menu

Just found this...

A Master Luthier's Desk (James D. Culberson?)

This video is quite reassuring regarding the Gibson Custom Shop.
    I was under the impression, they stopped building Archtops.
    I was wrong :-)
    Last edited by Rainer; 03-17-2024 at 05:08 AM. Reason: Video in wrong spot

User Info Menu

Thanks for posting the video- it did sound like he said “Doug Culberson’s desk”

I thought the Crimson Shop guitars were every bit as good as the Hutch period guitars and was mortified when they closed the Crimson programme (and when they closed Memphis too- those 59 R/I 175’s were often fantastic).

I fear that new Gibson archtops will be incredibly expensive though given their pricing on existing custom shop solid bodies and limited editions.

When they start to release these to shops, maybe it might at least cool the secondhand gibson archtop market prices, which have gone crazy in since Crimson closed.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ob Com View Post
    Thanks for posting the video- it did sound like he said “Doug Culberson’s desk”

I thought the Crimson Shop guitars were every bit as good as the Hutch period guitars and was mortified when they closed the Crimson programme (and when they closed Memphis too- those 59 R/I 175’s were often fantastic).

I fear that new Gibson archtops will be incredibly expensive though given their pricing on existing custom shop solid bodies and limited editions.

When they start to release these to shops, maybe it might at least cool the secondhand gibson archtop market prices, which have gone crazy in since Crimson closed.

There have been some new 2020 to 2023 Gibson L5s pop up on the forum here from members who bought them in the last year or two and I've seen a few for sale out on the internet.

The prices I've seen were around 9 or 10 thousand US.

Not as crazy as the list prices on the Crimson era guitars, but they were a little more than you would have paid when the dealers forced to buy the Crimson archtops were trying to get rid of them.

Not sure if there have been enough new ones recently to affect the prices of the old ones. They do seem to be rare or flying well under the radar since Gibson has yet to put archtops back on their website. Although, these factory tour videos certainly show them in production.

They also seem to be filling backorders so ordering one now may not be possible, yet.