The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

Hello all,
    The Gibson bag that was included with my Gibson ES-139 is pretty ratty at this point, and I need a replacement. I've been all over town trying bags and not one store has stocked anything which fits well. I might have to order it online.
    Has anyone got any good suggestions? I'll take anything, although it'll be even better if it's cheap!

I don't know if leather would be a good idea, lots of rain and snow here.

A case is out of the question. I don't have a car and use bicycles a lot between locations as it's quicker and more comfortable than the trolley.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

How wide is the lower bout, and what is the total length?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    How wide is the lower bout, and what is the total length?
    Not sure, when I inquired with Gibson all I got was that it's a differently appointed ES-339 (single-cut, no f holes, single ctrls, etc)

User Info Menu

I'm a big fan of the Mono line of gig bags which are really more like soft-shell cases. Some are pretty darn tough, especially the "Vertigo" models. I'd suggest seeing if one of those would fit. My Collings Eastside LC Jazz 15" guitar just barely fits into their "electric" size Vertigo model - so almost certainly your 339 would fit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coolvinny
    I'm a big fan of the Mono line of gig bags which are really more like soft-shell cases. Some are pretty darn tough, especially the "Vertigo" models. I'd suggest seeing if one of those would fit. My Collings Eastside LC Jazz 15" guitar just barely fits into their "electric" size Vertigo model - so almost certainly your 339 would fit.
    +1 for Mono bags. Well thought out and well made. They'll respond to on-line questions about fit for various models.

My bag has a lot of nice details. Pouch that fits strings in boxes perfectly. A pouch for pics. Those long slender pockets for pencils. A broader small pocket that fits my ear plug case. A big pouch which will fit, I think, a Boss GT-1 and some cables. Lots of ways to pick it up and carry it. Shoulder straps are comfortable.

User Info Menu

Maybe go ahead and get a hard case for protection, then modify a backpack to hold the case (a layer of foam inside for your back)... with the head end of the case sticking out the top... backpacks have external pockets.

Or, get one of those child/pet carry trailers behind the bike and you would have room for both an amp and a hard cased guitar.

User Info Menu

Another vote for Mono Bags I use a Les Paul size Mono for my ES-339.

User Info Menu

I recall that Johnny B. Goode used a gunny sack for his guitar.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Mono Vertigo or Reunion Blues Continental Voyager.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Only a Gibson is good enough:
    That's a neat bag. If only it didn't have the huge logo on it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr quick
    Not sure, when I inquired with Gibson all I got was that it's a differently appointed ES-339 (single-cut, no f holes, single ctrls, etc)
    What am I missing here, can't you just measure it?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr quick
    Hello all,
    The Gibson bag that was included with my Gibson ES-139 is pretty ratty at this point, and I need a replacement. I've been all over town trying bags and not one store has stocked anything which fits well. I might have to order it online.
    Has anyone got any good suggestions? I'll take anything, although it'll be even better if it's cheap!

I don't know if leather would be a good idea, lots of rain and snow here.

A case is out of the question. I don't have a car and use bicycles a lot between locations as it's quicker and more comfortable than the trolley.
    If you're not planning on falling off your bike, I'd recommend a Road Runner RR1 bag. I use the acoustic guitar size for my archtop. It's somewhat protective, comfortable to carry, has very well designed pouches, and is cheap. That would be a loose fit for your 139, but they make other sizes. You should measure both bouts, thickness and length and compare that to the specs on the Road Runner site.

I also have a Mono M80, a Reunion Blues Continental, and a Reunion Blues Aero for other guitars. All are more protective than the RR, but a lot more expensive and heavier. I've had Mooradian cases in past, which but they fell apart.

John

User Info Menu

What am I missing here, can't you just measure it?
    ps - I've never seen this model before. A quick google says it was made for, and sold only by GC. Is that true?
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 05-16-2019 at 10:07 AM.

User Info Menu

Have a look on Amazon-they have quite a few hard and soft cases-many with 2 shoulder straps for carrying.

User Info Menu

I have a Gibson Johnny A. Which I believe is the same size as the 339. I bought a Reunion Blues RBCE1. It works well.

User Info Menu

ps - I've never seen this model before. A quick google says it was made for, and sold only by GC. Is that true?
    I was looking through my old threads and this one I had forgotten.
    Thanks for all recommendations, I actually ended up with the leather Gibson bag posted above:

However, I came about it in a roundabout way. A junkie stole an SG from the store right under our noses a while ago, and after we sort of realized that we were unlikely to ever see that one again, I got to take the bag. My needs have changed since I made this thread though, so now it's just for storage. Works nicely, though. The original bag was in such a state of disrepair that I just put it out on the curb outside my (then) apartment, it was gone within minutes.

To answer the question about the origin of the model, what I've found out is that it was made only in 2013 and supposed to be a Guitar Center exclusive. However, somehow two of them ended up in a store in western Norway, where I bought it new in March 2015. I assume that it didn't really sell well in USA, and then the scandinavian importer for Gibson got their hands on them for cheap so that Gibson USA could make way for new models. Nothing but speculation, but it's my best guess. I also was never able to find the guitar in their catalogue, but I inquired with Gibson about it and got the spec sheet.

Thanks for all the suggestions in the thread.

User Info Menu

+2 for Mono
    Some years ago my guitar instructor fell on ice in the parking lot for the store he teaches at. The guitar in his Mono bag was his prized 1983 Gibson ES 335, natural, that he used while attending the Berkeley school of music. He went down and the bag fell out his hand. The bag went sliding along in the parking lot. Fortunately nobody ran it over. Got the bag in the store and not a scratch on the guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    +1 for Mono bags. Well thought out and well made. They'll respond to on-line questions about fit for various models.

My bag has a lot of nice details. Pouch that fits strings in boxes perfectly. A pouch for pics. Those long slender pockets for pencils. A broader small pocket that fits my ear plug case. A big pouch which will fit, I think, a Boss GT-1 and some cables. Lots of ways to pick it up and carry it. Shoulder straps are comfortable.