The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 102

User Info Menu

I'm aware this is probably not the right place, but the gear section generates most of the forum traffic. The link says it all.

Fundraiser by Katherine Goodrich-Burrell : Support Kenny Burrell

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Since I did this for a living Kenny Burrell would have Medicare and while not covering everything it would not cause medical bills that high. Lots or Medicaid available, i am not trying to be a jerk but be careful this has a wrong ring to it.

User Info Menu

First all Mrs Burrell should apply for Medicaid in the State of California all the medical providers would help her and probably require she did that for treatment. He would have social security income and his wife s minimum. Would think he has many other royalties and pension to boot.

From someone who once discussed business side with of being a musician with KB, KB s comment was, “i made a lot of money and I kept it, I have no bad habits.”

My problem with these go fund me things is fraud and deceit.....lots of it going around. It could be legit but I am a Medicaid consultant and if true I tell how to proceed free.

User Info Menu

The Go Fund Me for Kenny Burrell appears on his Facebook "Community" page. Nothing mentioned on other FB sections however.

Any way to confirm its legitimacy??

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    First all Mrs Burrell should apply for Medicaid in the State of California all the medical providers would help her and probably require she did that for treatment. He would have social security income and his wife s minimum. Would think he has many other royalties and pension to boot.

From someone who once discussed business side with of being a musician with KB, KB s comment was, “i made a lot of money and I kept it, I have no bad habits.”

My problem with these go fund me things is fraud and deceit.....lots of it going around. It could be legit but I am a Medicaid consultant and if true I tell how to proceed free.

Plus he has been teaching at the university level for several years (decades?) And a uni prof gets paid quite decently. (UCLA?)

User Info Menu

I contributed anyway. They've already raised 20k in two hours!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpguitar
    The article about his son’s passing from 2006 does NOT state that Kenny’s wife’s name is Lora. It states that the son’s mother is Lora. That sort of thing happens!

If you simply Google Katherine Goodrich-Burrell, you can find the address of her and Kenny’s apartment. Seems like a legitimate plea and not fraud to me.
    Yeah, I was skeptical, but Googling Katherine Goodrich-Burrell does yield and address in Westwood that she shares with Kenneth E Burrell. So it might be legit.

Also, yes he is a professor at UCLA, but profs don't get paid as handsomely as some think, especially if he is only teaching a class or two, rather than a full load each semester.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doug B
    Plus he has been teaching at the university level for several years (decades?) And a uni prof gets paid quite decently. (UCLA?)
    Yep, UCLA, but he is 85 now.

It also said that he was injured and has some other financial difficulties to boot.

User Info Menu

If this is true it's beyond sad! Kenny has put out a bizillon albums and is a teaching professor and he's broke?? Hard to understand.

User Info Menu

Legit or not I funded anyway,
    The thought of a giant like mr Burell being in this kind of trouble is too disturbing...

We all owe Kenny !

User Info Menu

Hold fire for now guys. JazzTimes magazine, who first shared details of the fundraiser, just Tweeted:

We now have reason to doubt the legitimacy of that supposed GoFundMe page for Kenny Burrell we posted about earlier today. If you've been thinking of contributing, please hold off until we can get the full story.”

User Info Menu

heard from his wife katherine who moderates his official facebook page that this is legit

User Info Menu

Couple of points seem in order.

Adjunct professors are paid by the course. Most artists teach courses as adjunct faculty and have a performance career.

The economics of jazz is such that the entire catalog of jazz artists sold fewer records together than Miles did. Miles made millions. The rest _split_ millions.

Thus, even household names in jazz could be a few hospital bills from foreclosure.

It is very plausible that the site is legit.

User Info Menu

No disrespect to KB but the number of Americans in financial distress due to outrageous medical expenses is staggering. My wife and I have both had cancer, surgeries and procedures costing many thousands of dollars, yet we’ve never considered putting our hand out and just asking for people to just give money to us. Is celebrity status an entitlement to having all of your needs met and problems resolved? I suspect many of us know people and families in far worse hardship living in a significantly lower economic bracket than KB. I am not indifferent to his plight but I just don’t see why I should pay the bills of someone who has made more money than me, while I have my own medical bills because he’s a great guitar player or has some level of celebrity?

User Info Menu

Kenny Burrell needs help-kb-jpg

User Info Menu

He was an inspiration. I listen to and teach his music. Yes I bought his CD's but I didn't spend much on them and I'm sure I have watched and listened to plenty of his stuff from free streaming sources over the years too.

User Info Menu

JazzTimes has confirmed that it's real.

Kenny Burrell needs help-screen-shot-2019-05-10-10-50-43-am-png

User Info Menu

When Barney Kessel was ill, many great jazz guitarists got together and did several benefit concerts for him. Perhaps, if this is all true, some concerts need to happen.

When Joe Pass was ill, one of his D'Aquistos was sold to pay for medical expenses. Perhaps this also needs to happen here?

It is sad that great artists are not compensated as they should be (have they ever been in any society?) and that American health care (and immigration policy among other things) is in need of structural reform, but due to the extreme polarization of American society, such reform will not be happening any time soon. IMO, the polarization is due to uncompromising extremists from both ends of the political spectrum.

I hope that the truth of this matter surfaces soon. And that things work out OK for one of the legends of jazz guitar.

User Info Menu

I do hope the Burrell family can live this part of their lives with some measure of comfort and dignity.

User Info Menu

I just received an e-mail from Vintage Guitar promoting Kenny Burrell's GoFundMe page.

User Info Menu

Sad for him. I sent my donation, Mister Kenny Burrell is the one who took me to the jazz guitar world !

User Info Menu

An elderly couple is facing foreclosure and homelessness? What kind of fuckin heartless society allows this to happen?

User Info Menu

I have donated and so should all of you. Our passion for jazz guitar exists in part because of this living legend. Even a 5 dollar contribution helps. This is not a scam.

User Info Menu

If I'd only heard his solo on Jimmy Smith's "Flamingo" it would have been enough for me to contribute, check it out sometime. First time I heard him and still my favorite solo.

It's already over 60k in 24hrs!
    I'm hoping a well heeled fan or two puts it way over the top. It would be cool to see him and the missus live somewhat comfortably in their golden yrs.

User Info Menu

God Bless Kenny Burrell.

But for the grace of God goeth I.