The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 42 of 42

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Franz 1997
    I'd recommend you try before you buy; you can borrow this one if you like.

They are good amps, but since I have both polytone and mambo 8" amps, I'm not using it as much as I expected to
    Was thinking more like Seymour duncan powerstage or a quilter power amp. I don’t have any money atm so it’s a moot point haha.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Just a personal take on this and other small amp offerings. Of the different ones I've owned over th past years,Quilter Aviators have been the most reliable and best sounding guitar amps for the size and power.

Also with the dual channels I've been able to use the 2nd channel for either a michrophone,synth,etc. along with my regular electric in the main channel.
    Another plus is the direct out sounds great as well.

Not sure what more one could ask for in a small 5 lb package. Oh yes Jack Z. It also has a great reverb!

User Info Menu

Reverb is for the weak ;-)

Actually in all seriousness I really like the sound of my 175 through my AER with no reverb. The guitar also sounds very good through PA weirdly.

I’m probably going mad.

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Reverb is for the weak ;-)

Actually in all seriousness I really like the sound of my 175 through my AER with no reverb. The guitar also sounds very good through PA weirdly.

I’m probably going mad.
    I don't like reverb either ...
    i like my 16" laminate through a flat amp or PA too

you are not going mad .... Dry is fly
    hey a Sax doesn't have reverb
    a snare drum doesn't etc

User Info Menu

My Wu almost makes its own reverb. I have a reverb pedal, and a couple of amps that have it, but I seldom use any. If I do use reverb, it's set so that I can barely detect it. Any more than that sounds cheesy, no matter what reverb it is, pedal or amp, even on my Vibrolux Reverb. But different strokes...

User Info Menu

Yeah.... I think I’d prefer to have reverb as a colour not a default. Actually I use delay when I want a more ambient or modern tone, but I have to say for the majority of the music I perform - straightahead, swing etc - little or no reverb is best.

With acoustic I am often using verb to compensate for the lack of resonance in under saddle piezo pickups. Not ideal, but it’s a trade off against feedback.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by newsense
    Not sure whether you were serious about the Hotone, but with the one I bought, every time I switched it on, the power transients rebooted my PC. I suspect it wasn't the fault of the amp, but that the separate power supply was very poorly designed. It went back to Amazon for a full refund.
    Ho Tone, aptly named. I bet your PC ain't complaining about the power transients turn on. That is a good reboot to start its day-got it all lit up. That good, huh? Pity your PC; I bet it wished you had kept it.

A pedalboard full of 'Ho-es with janky power supplies, playing at the next dive near you...
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 07-26-2019 at 04:37 AM.

User Info Menu

A late addition to this thread, just to add another possible choice for Euro members. I've been trying out the French GSS 100W guitar head ( 2 x 100W with ext) with my 8" cab, and have been quite impressed. Far more important, my alto playing friend was so impressed that he commented on how great it sounded. Sax players don't usually do that kind of thing, they talk about reeds. Considering I'm a serial mambo fanboy, that caught my interest. I was only taking it to that gig to see if it worked as a mambo back-up setup, but it's a real alternative with a very good sound. It will fill a big room, with an 8" cab. It's a much bigger sound than the tiny GSS jazzcat combo of PG fame, not surprisingly.

The head is about the size of a large box of matches, and 1 lb. So small it's hard to believe it's 100W, but it really is. I found the tone less sterile than the AI, and less coloured than a Polytone. The upsides are extreme portability, an eq section that is geared towards jazz gtr., a very reasonable 159 Euros (I think it's around that), and great, balanced, non-sterile ( warm? over-used I think) tone on 5/5/5 settings. It won't do fender scoop. The power supply is separate ( so you have to carry that too, making a hefty 1.5lb.) No reverb, though not sure if that is a downside: it sounds great without, always a good sign.

Anyway, there we are, yet another alternative small class guitar D head. I rate it, especially for the money. But it needs an 8 ohm cab, so it might not work with every cab, just with most.

PS Also trying out a barefaced 'jazz' guitar cab soon. They offered, which is nice..

Boutique

User Info Menu

I've thought about GSS amps, but the huge external power supply and the proprietary speaker cable connector are deal breakers for me. The GK MB200 isn't much larger, weighs about the same, needs only a standard AC cable, and has a Speakon connector. I'll stay with that. But more options can only be welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Franz 1997
    A late addition to this thread, just to add another possible choice for Euro members. I've been trying out the French GSS 100W guitar head ( 2 x 100W with ext) with my 8" cab, and have been quite impressed. Far more important, my alto playing friend was so impressed that he commented on how great it sounded. Sax players don't usually do that kind of thing, they talk about reeds. Considering I'm a serial mambo fanboy, that caught my interest. I was only taking it to that gig to see if it worked as a mambo back-up setup, but it's a real alternative with a very good sound. It will fill a big room, with an 8" cab. It's a much bigger sound than the tiny GSS jazzcat combo of PG fame, not surprisingly.

The head is about the size of a large box of matches, and 1 lb. So small it's hard to believe it's 100W, but it really is. I found the tone less sterile than the AI, and less coloured than a Polytone. The upsides are extreme portability, an eq section that is geared towards jazz gtr., a very reasonable 159 Euros (I think it's around that), and great, balanced, non-sterile ( warm? over-used I think) tone on 5/5/5 settings. It won't do fender scoop. The power supply is separate ( so you have to carry that too, making a hefty 1.5lb.) No reverb, though not sure if that is a downside: it sounds great without, always a good sign.

Anyway, there we are, yet another alternative small class guitar D head. I rate it, especially for the money. But it needs an 8 ohm cab, so it might not work with every cab, just with most.

PS Also trying out a barefaced 'jazz' guitar cab soon. They offered, which is nice..

Boutique
    thats really good to know ...

im very much looking forward
    to see what you think of the barefaced cabs

genuinely innovative tech
    i believe ....

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    I've thought about GSS amps, but the huge external power supply and the proprietary speaker cable connector are deal breakers for me. The GK MB200 isn't much larger, weighs about the same, needs only a standard AC cable, and has a Speakon connector. I'll stay with that. But more options can only be welcome.
    yeah nice amp the GK ...
    i nearly got one for myself
    (ended up with a Bam200
    which i also like a lot)

having a a micro amp and
    a couple of different cab options is a good way to go
    i think ...

the Barefaced cabs look great
    for the louder end of things

they even said they could load their 10” cab with their proprietary 200 watt 10” bass speaker

that should be one lightweight LOUD speaker !

User Info Menu

Since this thread keeps lingering on alternatives to the subject matter, I'll chime in again. If reverb is no issue, then G+K MB 200, Trace Elliot Elf and TC Electronic BAM200 are very close contenders as compact jazz guitar amps. I have all of them. Their build quality is excellent. For bass, I still prefer the MB. Deep bass end, contour switch and four-band eq are its plusses. With guitar, BAM has a warm, dynamic and tube-like tone. On the kitchen scale, it weighs 738 g / 1.63 lbs, i.e. significantly less than the stated 2 lbs. The Elf (at least the 240V version) is way heavier than stated. Many micro-amps are lighter still than this trio, but they have external power units which add weight and clutter just as much as an external reverb does. The BAM is my current fave as a TOOB demo/gig amp. The Elf has found a role as an occasional keyboard amp, hooked to a 10" TOOB bass cab.

PS Forgot to say that, for 133 euros at Thomann, the BAM is a steal.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    Since this thread keeps lingering on alternatives to the subject matter, I'll chime in again. If reverb is no issue, then G+K MB 200, Trace Elliot Elf and TC Electronic BAM200 are very close contenders as compact jazz guitar amps. I have all of them. Their build quality is excellent. For bass, I still prefer the MB. Deep bass end, contour switch and four-band eq are its plusses. With guitar, BAM has a warm, dynamic and tube-like tone. On the kitchen scale, it weighs 738 g / 1.63 lbs, i.e. significantly less than the stated 2 lbs. The Elf (at least the 240V version) is way heavier than stated. Many micro-amps are lighter still than this trio, but they have external power units which add weight and clutter just as much as an external reverb does. The BAM is my current fave as a TOOB demo/gig amp. The Elf has found a role as an occasional keyboard amp, hooked to a 10" TOOB bass cab.

PS Forgot to say that, for 133 euros at Thomann, the BAM is a steal.
    You are saying the BAM doesn’t have an external power unit?

Sounds like a great shout if so. I have a reverb pedal, and the fly rig for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    You are saying the BAM doesn’t have an external power unit?

Sounds like a great shout if so. I have a reverb pedal, and the fly rig for that matter.
    Guitar Sound Systems (GSS) Amps-f915d441-ad78-4ebf-9710-a836096f38a5-jpg

User Info Menu

I would be very interested in the BAM if I didn't already have the MB200. But I can't justify yet another mini head. I tried the Trace Elliot head when I jammed with a bassist who had one. I was not impressed.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    Guitar Sound Systems (GSS) Amps-f915d441-ad78-4ebf-9710-a836096f38a5-jpg
    Cor!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    I completely agree with you, all the extra stuff is a PITA. I'm not trying to push the GSS head particularly, just another option, but just want to make the point that the only reason I'll put up with these slight nuisances is because I like the sound so much. I don't understand the logic of having a separate power supply either, unless it's cost. You have to give GSS credit for at least putting a jazz demo video with an actual jazz guitar player on their site. That certainly makes a change.

I've had enough experience with class D amps to know that they just don't all the sound the same, and you've got to find a sound that you're happy with. One example (for me) is that I've had a couple of AI amps before these other choices became available, and tried hard to like them but couldn't get over what to me was a rather sterile sound. Fortunately they sold easily and quickly.

Maybe the TC BAM amp is an exception - at that price, it's almost worth a punt without hearing it first.