The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 89 of 89

User Info Menu

My son has a line 6 spyder amp and although he’s not really a jazzer, he gets some lovely clean tones out of it, in fact I’ve been tempted to try my 175 through it (when he’s not around!)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

All good advice here. I would not overlook your pick. Get a nice, thick guitar pick. Not a thin Fender one or other similar brand. Those are rock picks. I highly recommend the Dunlop Ultex Jazz III.

User Info Menu

Evidently the OP has ghosted. Joined in December, made one post, vanished.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Well, a 4 day absence doesn't really count as ghosting completely, but I got a feeling you're right.

User Info Menu

While we're talking a nice black face tone..

All very helpful thanks so much!

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    With modeling amps, I tend to get the best "classic" jazz tones by using the crunch channel and setting the gain low, so that only the very hardest hit notes have a little "grit" to them.

As for EQ, Generally I boost mids and cut highs a bit. Bass is always "to taste," depending on the room. I usually keep the tone all the way up on my guitars, but run the volume a little short of all the way up.

What kind of strings are you using?

I wouldn't give up on that amp just yet. I've gotten a lot of good jazz tones with simple modelling gear. This is with a tiny little Roland Microcube, for example.

I've actually just recently upgraded to a Yamaha THR amp...it seems to record as well as the Microcube, but sounds better and fuller to me "in the room." So yeah, if I can get jazz tones out of those little things, I think you can get it with that Line 6. I guess my biggest advice would be to focus on sounding "good," and don't chase "exact tones."

Hi, thanks for the response, what would gain be on mine?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MiaHatesJazz
    Hi, thanks for the response, what would gain be on mine?

drive and chan volume....set your overall volume with master volume..and tweak your distorted tone with drive and chan volume

luck

cheers

User Info Menu

Mia,

You'd have to set that by ear. Keep turning it ("drive") up until just the absolutely hardest stuff you hit "breaks up." Then adjust channel volume/master

User Info Menu

... what would gain be on mine?
    Looking at the picture of the amp you posted there is no scale. If this is the amplifier you have, you have to follow the recommendations given above and judge by yourself. It doesnt really matter that much anyway. What matters is what and how you play, all alone or along with others in interaction. Here, there and everywhere.
    Last edited by teeps; 01-03-2020 at 06:29 AM.

User Info Menu

All very helpful thanks so much!
    Hi! I"m so glad I was WRONG about you ghosting us. It happens and it's disappointing, but I'm glad you're still here!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    You must allow for the fire hose effect. Posting a "how do I" question is opening the floodgates, so to speak. It's one of JGO's most endearing qualities.

User Info Menu

i got a used vox pathfinder for like $60, i get a pretty good jazz tone from it, with a 339, though i prefer my princeton
    there are a lot of great cheap amps that have a nice sound, and most jazz players don't spend a ton on the amps they play
    you should be able to get a pretty good tone with what you have, but most guitarists could use rhythmic sensibilities way more than 'tone' lol
    practice a lot, and notice how much better the 'tone' gets, when you play better music

User Info Menu

When I was looking for an amp last year they showed me those modeller things with headphones, and one (clean) tone after the other was so good I went "yep, that's it" every minute. But then an older salesman showed me a Fender Musicmaster Bass amp from the 1970s(?), only volume and tone (which hardly works), and turned it to just loud enough to overpower my acoustic sound (thin-line hollow-body Ibanez), and bingo! Lots of imperfections, buzz, hum, and now it seems to be having a serious problem, but at least it's an honest sound with lots of whooompf, that reminds me I'm playing _electric_ guitar! It also gives me that Wes Montgomery burpy tone if I turn it up to about 1/3rd - like on the records with Jimmy Smith. I play with my fingers, but a thick plectrum would get you the same drive, as someone already said. Real valve amps are great!