The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 30 of 30

User Info Menu

1974 Alvarez by K Yairi YC140-ef09295b-fd18-4471-9eb4-3a34d4a510a8-jpg1974 Alvarez by K Yairi YC140-1d848bc6-3a38-4c6b-8175-c2603c15f034-jpg1974 Alvarez by K Yairi YC140-dbc82bd5-c78d-44fd-b7fd-8733bd1a9c37-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

One can easily see the level of craftsmanship that went into it. I assume it plays as good as it looks?

Curious what kind of strings you're using on it as well.

User Info Menu

First thing you notice about the guitar is it is far lighter than my other, a CY140 from the 80s. It's also quite delicate. Have not tuned it to pitch yet. I never tune them to pitch when I first get them. I give them all a chance to acclimate. She's in the open case and we're getting heavy thunderstorms so I will position her on a padded chair near the screen door so she can humidify a little too... (can't replicate Patrick running a hot steamy shower for his guitars).

Sauced those ribs, finished the rice, ate, cleaned up aud it's nap time now... Tonight I'll be playing her.

As for strings hell I'm no expert and the kid put new strings on her so I have a bit to decide what's gonna fly. Do you have any ideas, they'd be gratefully accepted.

It's gonna be a nice relaxing night now that I got all that hump day stuff out of the way. Big intense storm too. Cool...

Hope you guys have enjoyed reading my info on AY guitars.

Big

After a nap and some coffee I decided I'd tune her up. Man I am not used to a classical neck - but once I started bringing this to pitch I realized how loud and full she sounds. Far, far nicer than my other full sized classical, the CY140.
    I'm real glad all this is done and I'm gonna let my hair down and smoke a cigar tonight...
    Last edited by BigMikeinNJ; 05-08-2019 at 05:47 PM.

User Info Menu

I think I have always used Augustine strings red label. But that's mainly because they are easy to get. I'm not a good one for changing strings often, even though the brightness wears off very quickly with these. I play through an amp mostly and just turn up the treble a little as the brightness wears off. ;-)

I hope the action is good. I had a Goya 1970 which was a very nice guitar--the same guitar that Mason Williams used to record Classical Gas as I recall, and the neck started bowing and it became very uncomfortable to play, at least jazzy barre chords up the neck. I was gonna reset the neck, but ended up giving it to my ex-wife for no good reason. (Maybe cause I knew it would be hard to play...) The lack of a truss rod in these guitars can cause problems if they have not been properly cared for--and my Goya was exposed to 95% humidity in Atlanta for 7 years...

User Info Menu

It’s gorgeous, Mike! I’ll bet it sounds every bit as great as is looks.