The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

Hi folks, newbie here.

I have a Gibson ES175 from approx 1974 and I'd like to date it from the pots, as the serial number gives me a 1973-1975 range. I bought a small endoscope camera/light to look into the guitar body, and instead of seeing pots I can see that they are enclosed in metal covers. Does anyone have experience in removing one of these or advice they could help me remove one then replace it ?

Thanks

David

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The harness in my '81 Epi Emperor T had the canned pots as well. When I rewired it I didn't put them on the new harness.

I'm not home at the moment to confirm, but if I recall correctly, the "lid" of the can was soldered on at a couple points.

Even if you could get in at it and it's not soldered, you'd have a dickens of a time trying to get it back on, fishing thru an F hole.

When I get home I'll snap a pic or two of the Epi harness (I left it intact when I pulled it). Don't know if Gibby did the same and how helpful it will be for you, but....

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Why do you need to know the exact year? Isn't the range good enough?

I was sold a "new" Gibson ES=175D in 1973. for all these years I assumed it was on of the Harmony - Gibsons.

Last year I looked up the SN and discovered it was nearer to 1968. I was sold either a new old stock or used.

Now I know why it didn't come in a Gibson case. I was just a dumb kid then.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David Craig
    Hi folks, newbie here.

I have a Gibson ES175 from approx 1974 and I'd like to date it from the pots, as the serial number gives me a 1973-1975 range. I bought a small endoscope camera/light to look into the guitar body, and instead of seeing pots I can see that they are enclosed in metal covers. Does anyone have experience in removing one of these or advice they could help me remove one then replace it ?

Thanks

David
    You have to pull the harness to get to those pots. A huge PITA, and not worth doing just to check a pot code. Also, bear in mind that you could have a pot code that says 1974 and still have a 1975 guitar. It is a very un-exact science. Call Gibson customer service and see if they have a shipping date in their records.

User Info Menu

Pots could have been a few years old when they were installed, especially in a Gibson. Dating by pots is by far the most inexact way of dating a guitar, because of the additional uncertainty about whether they might have been changed, and it's very easy to change them.

User Info Menu

Show us a pic and I'll tell you the basic year it was made.

Dating a Gibson ES-175-img_20190505_115918-jpgDating a Gibson ES-175-img_20190505_115938-jpgDating a Gibson ES-175-img_20190505_115929-jpgDating a Gibson ES-175-img_20190505_120000-jpg

Here you go, thanks.

User Info Menu

Can you post a picture of the back of the guitar and the back of the headstock?

User Info Menu

They are just pressure fit together. You would have to remove a pot to be able to take the bottom off though. If you think there is enough lead on one to do it, and your up to it wouldn't be too hard. Those are tough years to date accurately.

Quote Originally Posted by David Craig
    Hi folks, newbie here.

Thanks

David

Back photos as requested, thanks

Dating a Gibson ES-175-img_20190505_143514-jpgDating a Gibson ES-175-img_20190505_143456-jpgDating a Gibson ES-175-img_20190505_143505-jpg

User Info Menu

Here's the harness from my '81 Epiphone. The lids are soldered on. Again, I don't know if Gibson did/does the same, but you should have similar in the 175...Dating a Gibson ES-175-20190505_103333-jpgDating a Gibson ES-175-20190505_103344-jpg

User Info Menu

1) 2) Your guitar looks just like my first ES-175, which I bought used in the early '80s. You have got a terrific instrument for playing jazz (or very nearly anything else that doesn't require heavy distortion or stupid volume levels*). It is likely more jazz has been played on ES-175s than any other single model (ICBW, and would be happy to be corrected). Congratulations, and play it in good health!

*The shopkeeper where I got mine told me the previous owner had purchased it in order to "do a Nugent." I guess he quickly found out that an ES-175 is not a Byrdland . His loss, my gain. $350 USD.

User Info Menu

David based on your photos, I think your guitar is a 1977-1979 ES-175D.

I have never seen an example with a TOM bridge (though that could be non original, a lot of the wood bridge saddles get swapped out), a maple neck, a brown sunburst, and sunburst sides and neck on a pre 1977 ES-175. The tuners on your guitar indicate pre 1977, but tuners also get replaced.

Again, I would call Gibson (I have had them check their records on a few guitars by serial number. They are good about doing so, but their records are incomplete). I would be surprised to find out your guitar is as early as you think (1973-1975) based on the serial number. Value wise, a Norlin made 175 with a volute is about the same no matter the year. And having owned one (a 1977), I think they are great guitars.
    Last edited by Stringswinger; 05-05-2019 at 12:52 PM.

User Info Menu

These look identical. The ones I've had my hands on were not soldered. Either way, shouldn't be too hard to unsolder if that's the case. Getting the pot in and out is probably the larger part of the job. Plenty of room in the pickup hole if the lead will allow. Not really sure why this is important, dating is sketchy during the period that's pretty accepted. One or two years either way won't change the value.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B
    Here's the harness from my '81 Epiphone. The lids are soldered on. Again, I don't know if Gibson did/does the same, but you should have similar in the 175...Dating a Gibson ES-175-20190505_103333-jpgDating a Gibson ES-175-20190505_103344-jpg

Thanks to all who have replied. BTWI'm not doing this to find out what value the guitar is worth, I simply hate uncertainty !

The serial number is difficult to read but is F924026, which according to one serial number dating website is 1973-1975, and another which states "Your guitar was made at the Kalamazoo Or Nashville Plant, USA in 1974 - 1975. Production Number: 924026"

I'm pretty certain its not after 1975 as Gibson changed their serial numbers to an 8 digit format from 1975, so at some time in 1975 they started using a prefix of 99. According to one site:

• Gibson Serial Numbers, 1975-1977.
      • All models, decal, 2 digit prefix followed by 6 digits. The decal can also state the model name/number.

• Prefix Year------ ---

• 99 1975

• 00 1976

• 06 1977

So my best guess is 1974, though possibly late 1973 or early 1975. If anyone can improve on that from the photos that would be great, thank you.

As far as I am aware its all original except the bridge. I bought it last year from a guy who'd had it since 1981 - he told me that was the last time he'd put new strings on it
    !

User Info Menu

By the by, for future readers and reference;

When I rewired the 81 Epi, I had every intention of leaving the original harness intact, and read up on the pot cans wondering if I should get a 2nd set for the harness I was building.

I searched for them and found a couple sets on fleaBAY.... Holy Cow they go for some serious $$ O.O

If you have them, don't throw 'em out.

User Info Menu

I once dated an ES-175, but she broke my heart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro