The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 89

User Info Menu

I don't think you're missing much. I also have one of those, and it almost never gets used. I'm not a fan of the Fender sound, but I bought it mostly for use as a light boost. At best it's meh, for me. It's probably a nice pedal if you're playing rock and want an overdriven sound, but I'm not, and don't. For boost, my old Boss GE7 equalizer works well enough.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

So, I've gotten to try the American Sound pedal out at a couple of sessions, and I hate to say it, but the bloom is kind off the rose. Playing it with a band, I had trouble dialing in a tone that made me happy, and it doesn't really clean up much when I turn the guitar volume down. In contrast, I can leave my OCD pedal on and pretty much regulate the level of distortion from the guitar's volume, and the color of that distortion from the guitar's tone controls. I have yet to try the Joyo as a DI/amp simulation, and maybe it will be good for that, but I now think that as an OD, it's not as good as I initially thought

John

User Info Menu

Still a huge fan (I have an American and a tech 21 blonde, virtuallyidentical). Never have trouble staying clean...but then again, my definition of clean might be a little different

Heres the worst demonstration in history, by me, pre-coffee, post bedhead.

Last edited by mr. beaumont; 11-12-2019 at 09:16 PM.

User Info Menu

My favorite pedal to put in front of a solid state amp is the Fairfield circuitry barbershop.

User Info Menu

The sound of the Joyo is relatively neutral to me with the voice at about noon, or mid sweep, and the drive at about halfway between 9 and 12. The level goes to whatever volume needed. I tend to have the tone controls set flat. That works as a boost, but it's more trouble than it's worth to me. I just tried my Joyo, JR Barnyard, and GE7 for use as a boost, and the GE7 sounds the best to me, with the sliders all flat and the volume up just about 1/8" or so. None sound bad, but the Joyo is big, and the Barnyard introduces treble, and an overall tone I'm not quite in love with. I can shape the tone quite a lot with the EQ pedal if necessary, either as a boost or as a volume cut. Everyone's taste is different, though, so there are many, many pedals on the market, something for everyone.

User Info Menu

Nice demo, Jeff. I particularly liked the tone about half-way through the vid and then later that taste of Cinnamon from that Almond Heritage. Yum!

It's interesting to me to learn of the various applications people have tried with this pedal.

When I got it and adjusted it, my goal was only and entirely to condition the sound coming out of a completely clean Bud to sound a little more bearded (whatever that means ... warmer, I guess). At low settings as listed previously I was able to do that. Consequently I can use the Bud, get the benefits of a low weight amp, and with minimal extra gear I can get either a pristinely clean sound or a warmer sound, at will. For that, it was $40 well spent.

I never really tried it as a distortion box. I'm not much of a user of distortion, so that aspect of the pedal is lost to me. It works well for what I'm using it for, and that's all I meant to communicate. I did enjoy Jeff Matz's fragment of Cinnamon Girl, though.

User Info Menu

I was using it more as a dirt pedal, through some different tube amps (so far, my PR*, a DR**, a Supro, and some and a Mesa Boogie, an), as well as my Fender Champion 20 cheap-o modeling amp. It actually sounded really good through the C20, but I wasn't loving it so much through the others. I need to try it at its intended purpose (DI and/or Fender-sounding front end to something with less character), but haven't had a chance to get to that yet.

John

*Abbreviated so that you can't tell whether I'm talking about an amp or Puerto Rico
    **Abbreviated so that you can't tell whether I'm talking about an amp or the Dominican Republic

User Info Menu

I also have the GE7. I experimented with the settings described in this thread. I guess if you don’t already have the FBM-1, the Joyo American Sound will also produce a similar Fender tweed tube sound at cheaper price using a DV Mark Little Pro. But it’s large in size and the construction isn’t as durable as the Boss pedal. The button is noisy compared to the Boss pedals.

I don’t understand its popularity while the FBM-1 is unpopular and discontinued. For clean tubelike Fender sounds, they are very similar. I noticed that Joyo has additional sounds with the voice control turned further right. I think they call it Mesa Boogie, but for clean, straight ahead jazz, it sounds too boxy and compressed to be useful. Both pedals can be used for some distortion, but I always play clean.

For more uncolored gain, I can also just use the
    GE7. I returned mine. Thanks to everyone for your information and input.

User Info Menu

I kept picking up radio on my two units. Otherwise they were excellent.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77 View Post
    I kept picking up radio on my two units. Otherwise they were excellent.
    Bug or feature? Joyo JF-14 American Sound

User Info Menu

I have one with the Harley Benton badge (29,90 €) and it is a great emergency tool too, as you can plug it into a DI-box and straight into PA if your fender amp lets you down. I've done whole shows with it and it does the job well – good monitoring is crucial. It can also provide a bit of overdrive but I didn't use it that way yet – only as a fender amp sim. Always carry it in your gigbag. ;-)

User Info Menu

My Unit also picks up Radio stations, which makes it useless for me. But the tone is nice. Got a Tech 21 Fly Rig to replace it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ronstuff View Post
    My Unit also picks up Radio stations, which makes it useless for me. But the tone is nice. Got a Tech 21 Fly Rig to replace it.
    Me too - a little compressed perhaps but sounds great.

Eyeing up the new Strymon Iridium, but I wonder if it actually sounds that much better?

User Info Menu

Found another use for my Harley Benton American Sound
    i plugged my guit into it and thence into to aux in on
    a Bluetooth speaker ....

It kind of of just worked for a battery powered rehearsal with my
    alto playing neighbour .... Just !

by the way ...
    Harley Benton PowerPlant Powerbank – Thomann UK

this looks good value on the battery power thing

User Info Menu

This was recorded with the American Sound straight into my Zoom R16 recorder. No issues getting a nice clean sound:

User Info Menu

Nice vid, Little Jay! Thanks for that!

User Info Menu

I just picked up a used Joyo American for $20+ on Reverb. I tried it along with a Boss RV-6 (reverb) into the effects loop on a Fishman Loudbox 100. Ordinarily, playing my archtop through the Fishman produced a sterile sound that just didn't inspire me.

However, using the Joyo produced nice results. I didn't like it that much plugged into the front of the amp. But in the loop, it was quite usable.

It does not come close to the sound of my tube amp, a Laney VC30-210; however the weight of the Fishman plus effects is about half of the Laney.

User Info Menu

Interesting this thread would come back.. I've gone from using the Strymon Iridium for a couple of years back to the Joyo American with a Joyo Cab Modeler. Joyo American does the preamp, the Cab Modeler does the power amp and speaker. As a bonus the Cab Modeler completely replaces a full function EQ pedal providing high cut, low cut, 5 band graphic or 4 band para. Very happy with the tone I'm getting with 1X10 Princeton, 1X12 and 4X10 tweed, 2X12 Matchless, 1X15 with a 6L6, and, oddly, 8X10 with a 6L6. All original Joyo IR's so far. Will try with 3rd party IR's at some point. Can also go with EL84 power amp and a ribbon mic for something crispier. In all these cases the Joyo American with it's analog Fender black face preamp sound works quite well. The pair runs under $200.
    Last edited by Spook410; 03-26-2024 at 03:09 AM.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Spook410;1325794]Interesting this thread would come back.. I've gone from using the Strymon Iridium for a couple of years back to the Joyo American with a Joyo Cab Modeler. Joyo American does the preamp, the Cab Modeler does the power amp and speaker. As a bonus the Cab Modeler completely replaces a full function EQ pedal providing high cut, low cut, 5 band graphic or 4 band para. Very happy with the tone I'm getting with 1X10 Princeton, 1X12 and 4X10 tweed, 2X12 Matchless, 1X15 with a 6L6, and, oddly, 6X8 with a 6L6. All original Joyo IR's so far. Will try with 3rd party IR's at some point. Can also go with EL84 power amp and a ribbon mic for something crispier. In all these cases the Joyo American with it's analog Fender black face preamp sound works quite well. The pair runs under $200.[/QUOTE

Very interesting. Is that the "Joyo R-Series R-08 Cab Box"?

Does it get a lot closer to a a "real" tube amp sound?

User Info Menu

Curious as well, which Joyo Cab modeler?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by charleyrich99 View Post

Does it get a lot closer to a a "real" tube amp sound?
    I have a 81 Fender Concert, I've played the Strymon Iridium for awhile, and have a lot of hours on the Joyo American.

They don't sound the same. They all sound good.

There are so many variables it will always be apples/oranges. Even in the Fender family, a DeLuxe doesn't sound just like a Twin and neither sound like my Rivera era Concert. Even more oranges is that a modeler will be running an Full Range Flat Response (FRFR) speaker so it's just not going to sound the same. And then there is the responsiveness of tubes that modelers don't always get right.

Of course, I'm fine with how a good solid state emulation of a blackface or tweed sounds (e.g. Quilter, Roland Artist) so maybe I'm not so picky. Just like what I like.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay View Post
    Curious as well, which Joyo Cab modeler?
    With mixed emotions.. this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

The DI output on my first one died after 3 months. No response from Joyo on a fix or replacement. It also has an unbalanced out so I use that.

So.. in spite of that aggravation.. I bought a second one (one for big pedal board in practice space, one for small pedal board for grab and go). They sound really good to me, the controls are very good, and there's a boatload of IR's. The features fit very well with what I want. Particularly the excellent and easy to use EQ. For $150, it's amazing tech. You do have to model a preamp in front of it. The Joyo American is a good match. I keep meaning to try the Strymon Iridium as preamp (you can turn off the IR) just to see.

User Info Menu

I used the Joyo American sound for sooooo many uses during my tenure as a professional musician. It works great for recording, to make a crappy backline amp sound better, as an EQ pedal, as an overdrive pedal, a phone stand, and if accosted on the bandstand by hostile musicians with no option but to fight for your life, a good self defense tool.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzerEU View Post
    I used the Joyo American sound for sooooo many uses during my tenure as a professional musician. It works great for recording, to make a crappy backline amp sound better, as an EQ pedal, as an overdrive pedal, a phone stand, and if accosted on the bandstand by hostile musicians with no option but to fight for your life, a good self defense tool.
    Lots of bang for $20-25. It kind of highlights the silliness of the guitar pedal marketplace.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 04-04-2024 at 02:44 AM.