The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 48

User Info Menu

I've had a Henriksen Bud for awhile now, and I really like it - it's very clean, it works well with an archtop and an acoustic and probably many other instruments that I don't play. But every once in awhile I feel the need to become tan pants and blue shirt Blues Engineer (like a Blues Lawyer but with a pocket protector).

So on a whim I got a Joyo American Sound (JF-14), and it works great! In line, in front of the amp, it makes the Bud sound as close to a Deluxe as I could want. For US$40, it was a winner!

I'm always a bit late to the party on this sort of thing, but just in case somebody living in a cave somewhere hasn't tried it, I recommend this.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dconeill View Post
    I've had a Henriksen Bud for awhile now, and I really like it - it's very clean, it works well with an archtop and an acoustic and probably many other instruments that I don't play. But every once in awhile I feel the need to become tan pants and blue shirt Blues Engineer (like a Blues Lawyer but with a pocket protector).

So on a whim I got a Joyo American Sound (JF-14), and it works great! In line, in front of the amp, it makes the Bud sound as close to a Deluxe as I could want. For US$40, it was a winner!

I'm always a bit late to the party on this sort of thing, but just in case somebody living in a cave somewhere hasn't tried it, I recommend this.
    haaa man i must live in a cave, sometimes it feels like it here int he desert, what the hell is Joyo?

User Info Menu

Joyo is a pedal company.

User Info Menu

Love mine. Cost me about as much as some folks here would pay for a pack of strings. Great tone shaper. It seems to put all the eras of Fender Deluxes at your fingertips. My only complaint is the hisssssssssss after about noon on the gain. Keeping the gain no higher than 11 o'clock is the trick for me. Not a problem in a jazz context. Works great for my little Champ style amps that lack a tone stack.

User Info Menu

Plus 1 for the JAS. Though I do want to get the SansAmp pedal of which it is a copy.

User Info Menu

I have one, and haven't used it more than a half-dozen times. I'm just not a Fender fan. But if that's your preference, the JAS is an economic option.

User Info Menu

I have a Joyo Ac Tone that I used with my Bud. They went very well together. I’d like to try an American.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

I'm playing clean through a Compact 60
    Im deffo gonna get one of these and see what happens
    might work !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dconeill View Post

Hello fellow troglodytes -- I too was unaware of this Joyo JF-14 pedal. Thanks dconeill for the heads up! After I saw this thread, I got one from Amazon and I'm happy as a clam with it. I'm connecting it up to a Bud as well and will take it to a band practice Monday. Based on what I'm hearing now, I think life will be very copacetic. BTW, I'm setting mine with low, mid and high at around noon, level at 2 o'clock, voice at noon, and drive at 9 o'clock. I haven't noticed the hssss that darkwaters mentioned, but once I get to practice and turn the Bud to gig level, I'll know if it's an issue or not.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by archtopeddy View Post
    Hello fellow troglodytes -- I too was unaware of this Joyo JF-14 pedal. Thanks dconeill for the heads up! After I saw this thread, I got one from Amazon and I'm happy as a clam with it. I'm connecting it up to a Bud as well and will take it to a band practice Monday. Based on what I'm hearing now, I think life will be very copacetic. BTW, I'm setting mine with low, mid and high at around noon, level at 2 o'clock, voice at noon, and drive at 9 o'clock. I haven't noticed the hssss that darkwaters mentioned, but once I get to practice and turn the Bud to gig level, I'll know if it's an issue or not.
    With the drive at 9 o'clock you should be fine. For me, it starts to be an issue at 12 o'clock. I'd be interested to hear back about your experience.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by darkwaters View Post
    With the drive at 9 o'clock you should be fine. For me, it starts to be an issue at 12 o'clock. I'd be interested to hear back about your experience.
    Hi Darkwaters -- just to be clear (I think you understand but I just want to make sure I'm saying this right...) By 9 o'clock I mean around a 1/4 turn of the knob from zero, or about half way up to noon. It means the white line on the knob is pointing horizontally to the left (whereas for noon, the white line would be pointing straight up).

I'll let you know how it sounds after my practice tomorrow. Also, I've used the JF-14 at home with a Strat, a Tele, and my Greco Barney Kessel (with humbuckers). Each sounded differently as would be expected, but they all had a nice "shimmery" sound vs the Bud alone. I'm really not looking to use this pedal for jazz tones so much as to see if I can get more versatility out of Bud for rock, blues, reggae, etc., gigs.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by archtopeddy View Post
    Hi Darkwaters -- just to be clear (I think you understand but I just want to make sure I'm saying this right...) By 9 o'clock I mean around a 1/4 turn of the knob from zero, or about half way up to noon. It means the white line on the knob is pointing horizontally to the left (whereas for noon, the white line would be pointing straight up).

I'll let you know how it sounds after my practice tomorrow. Also, I've used the JF-14 at home with a Strat, a Tele, and my Greco Barney Kessel (with humbuckers). Each sounded differently as would be expected, but they all had a nice "shimmery" sound vs the Bud alone. I'm really not looking to use this pedal for jazz tones so much as to see if I can get more versatility out of Bud for rock, blues, reggae, etc., gigs.
    Yep. That's what I meant... Some people remark on the hiss (like me), others don't. Could be a variance in parts/construction. The "shimmery" sound could be the speaker emulation. All in all it's a great pedal and a great deal.

User Info Menu

It's an amazing little pedal and it saved my a$$ once when my Twin broke down during a gig: I used the Joyo and a powered monitor as my amp and it sounded more than good enough to finish the gig! So now I always carry it as my backup device.

I also once recorded with it directly into the recording console. While it was intended as a guitar-guide track for the bass and drum recordings with the intention to record the guitar later separately, it actually sounded so good that we decided to just use the tracks, which saved a lot of expensive studio time ;-) (Luckily the recording engineer had the wits and foreseeing eye to record the guitar guide track as well).

Lastly I use it to turn my AER Alpha into a Deluxe amp. Works like a charm!

User Info Menu

There used to be much howling in this forum on how this was a direct ripoff of the Tech21 Blond. Of course, there were no copyrights or trademark issues, just howling. That and over time frequency graphs and such have debunked the question of a direct copy. Seems Joyo always deserved more credit for their hard work and great prices. They may not have the best components but mine has held up well.

User Info Menu

I've got one that I don't use as much as I hoped I would due to its limited headroom. If I could increase that headroom to work as a completely clean tone shaping machine, I'd be all over it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Klatu View Post
    I've got one that I don't use as much as I hoped I would due to its limited headroom. If I could increase that headroom to work as a completely clean tone shaping machine, I'd be all over it.
    Hmm. I have no headroom issues? I assume that you know the voice knob also sets the headroom? Not only a matter of keeping gain low, adjust the voice as well!

User Info Menu

This thread inspired me to dig out my Joyo American and play with it. You can get a nice, natural clean sound by leavin gain about west aka left aka 9o'clock, maxing out level, and bringing voice up just enough to get the volume you want. Tone controls as desired. Too much voice gives a very compressed, boxy sound. Also, a bad battery will cause a lot of hiss and noise. I don't use my Joyo much because I like the Princeton amp model on my Mustang Floor. These Joyo pedals are a real steal, though.

User Info Menu

I purchased one a couple of months ago. A short test run showed me how versatile that pedal is (yes - coniderable hiss at higher gain settings). When I wanted to do another test the next day all I got was a lot of noise out of it and no matter what I tried (swapping cables and such) it didn't help. Got my money back but the ebay vendor didn't want me to return it (at his cost of course) so I have it sitting here idling away.
    I'll probably get me one from thomann (Harley Benton branded) sooner or later...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO View Post
    I'll probably get me one from thomann (Harley Benton branded) sooner or later...
    My guess is they are exactly the same ;-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay View Post
    My guess is they are exactly the same ;-)
    Oh yes - just rebranded.

User Info Menu

I've never noticed much noise from mine, but I rarely use an internal battery. I tend to use an adapter or an external battery, because it's easier. I have some already made up for my HOF Mini, which doesn't have room for a battery inside, so external is the only possibility.

User Info Menu

I just picked one of these up. Had some Amazon Prime points built up, so it cost next to nothing. So far, I've only tried it in front of an amp (Fender Champion 20, on the Deluxe Reverb setting), but have gone through the full sweep of all the controls, and have gotten a pretty good sense of how it sounds. I'm not sure how useful I would find it for shaping clean tones because it's only clean over a pretty small portion of the gain and voice controls' ranges, but I haven't really put it to that test yet. As an overdrive pedal, though, it sounds really, really good IMO. I was able to get a very nice, singing, edge-of-feedback blues tone with my D'Angelico semi-hollow at a sane bedroom volume, with a more authentically amp-like tone than I can typically get out of of an OD pedal under those conditions. It also has way more OD/Distortion available than most of the reviews and demos led me to believe. This thing can be set to really wail/scream, more so than, say a Tubescreamer type pedal, maybe even more than my Fulltone OCD. I've been using the OCD for a long time, and I've liked it better than any other OD I've ever tried (and I've tried a lot), but the JAS may be its equal. I'm going to try it on a blues/R&B session this weekend, which should be a good test.

John

User Info Menu

I like mine. Mostly used through my little mixer into little Micca bookshelf speakers or headphones. I also have a Joyo Extreme Metal pedal which works well...but that's another story for another forum...

Well, just to show that I've read the thread I started, here are the Joyo American Sound settings I seem to have settled on. Settings are relative to an analog clock face (12 vertical up, 6 vertical down, and so on) and fractional settings are roughly the distance between two hour settings; e.g., 3:45 is three-quarters of the way between 3 and 4 o'clock.

Low: 1:30
    Mid: 11:45
    High: 7:00
    Level: 3:15
    Voice: 12:10
    Drive: 8:05

This is with a Henriksen Bud set flat with tweeter off, Heritage Sweet 16 or Gibson ES335.

User Info Menu

I read through many threads about the Joyo American Sound. I have a 1949 or 1952 15” Fender TV Front Pro and an early 80s Polytone Minibrute. Both sound gorgeous, particularly the Fender. It’s the best sounding amp I’ve heard.

I recently acquired a DV Mark Little Jazz. Already it sounds very good and balanced without pedals. I always play clean. It sounds slightly more tube-like and closer to my Fender amp if I use the Boss Fender ‘59 Bassman FBM-1 set at the clean settings described in their manual.

Based on glowing reviews, I tried the Joyo American Sound. As described above for clean sounds, if I set the voice all the way to the left, drive at 9 o’clock, and adjust the level to the desired volume, I can get a similar Fender sound. But it seems the amount of options are limited for clean sounds. As also noted, the more the voice control is turned up, the more boxy and compressed it sounds.

Further, there is not much of a difference with my Boss pedal for what I am trying to accomplish. What am I doing wrong or missing?