The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 61

User Info Menu

Doo dah !!!

Well, after a suitable amount of time to break in my ear drums to what a Campellone sounds like with the Special I heard this little voice calling to me on eBay, "Mikey.... Mikey..." and I made an offer on this Standard that was ending in an hour... The seller accepted with about 5 minutes before auction's end, it does say BEST OFFER... and he's a great guy. Got the guitar to UPS where "his guy" packed it and off it went...

Now how can you not like this one. 25 inch scale, 3 inch body depth, upgraded woods package for the back, sides and neck and macassar ebony fingerboard, bridge, tailpiece and headstock overlays and tuner buttons. Beautiful Cedar Creek case. Has a custom one off Pete Bilitoff custom rolled full sized humbucker on her. She's as loud and shimmery as the Special I got last week.

Camptown Ladies - Campellone Fan Thread-bc6c351e-6dbe-42a0-a280-d33db4a033e5-jpgCamptown Ladies - Campellone Fan Thread-96c18c03-4fd6-451f-a7de-e21f1e1a16b8-jpgCamptown Ladies - Campellone Fan Thread-5a069f74-d952-4fe5-aba3-0acbec8281c4-jpgCamptown Ladies - Campellone Fan Thread-1be2621a-f48b-4a3e-bdf7-73f345d612fb-jpgCamptown Ladies - Campellone Fan Thread-b7ff0c6f-fa79-4a2a-9062-466d2df203e4-jpg
    Last edited by BigMikeinNJ; 05-04-2019 at 11:22 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Bet my money on a bob tailed nag

Camptown Ladies - Campellone Fan Thread-296d2e05-b557-42f3-b930-f61ba187fd00-jpgCamptown Ladies - Campellone Fan Thread-06244fac-13c6-49ff-98ae-2182fd3f77f0-jpgCamptown Ladies - Campellone Fan Thread-2b32f28c-44f4-4a05-aa15-f03488696e0e-jpgCamptown Ladies - Campellone Fan Thread-30660789-c797-4c48-900d-0e4c23e22b63-jpg

User Info Menu

Somebody bet on the bay

Serial Number 4950616 made in 06/16...
    RIGHT HAMMER ?????????????????????????

Camptown Ladies - Campellone Fan Thread-fb886791-c6d6-480a-9700-2b15226bbb9a-jpgCamptown Ladies - Campellone Fan Thread-b39863d0-f90e-4667-be1b-0d8c56b930bc-jpgCamptown Ladies - Campellone Fan Thread-739c2bd2-0033-42f5-887e-db481bc70646-jpgCamptown Ladies - Campellone Fan Thread-f9f528c3-5286-42d9-b976-2527eaa3503e-jpg
    Last edited by BigMikeinNJ; 04-30-2019 at 11:40 AM.

User Info Menu

Everything is just right . . .

Does it sound as good as it looks?

User Info Menu

I told Mike it looks like a guitar that you can just Play, Play, Play and play some more.
    Simplicity at its best. The closeups show attention to detail that is in my opinion, unsurpassed.
    This one might be the one you reach for most frequently. It is approachable, probably sounds incredible and even though its understated, it will inspire you to play more. Then you get better and make albums..
    Love it Mikey.

Guys, When it arrived yesterday, Mike said the guitar was cold. So he gave it some chicken soup.. Lucky Guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeinNJ

Somebody bet on the bay
    Indeed! You cracked the super-secret code, I see.

The same guitar was sold on ebay @ a year ago.
    At that time, it didn't have the matching Macassar ebony tuner buttons or the waycool Biltoft pickup. It had a Kent A mini-humbucker on a Macassar ebony pickguard. It was advertised as having a 25 1/2" scale and a 1 3/4" nut.
    Attached Images Attached Images Camptown Ladies - Campellone Fan Thread-s-l1600-0-jpg 

User Info Menu

Yeah I had my Ovaltine Secret Decoder Ring which I used to crack the code...

Most interesting seeing it with a macassar ebony pick guard because I wondered why it never had one, well IT DID...
    LOL...

Joe was right too, this is a guitar I'll likely play many more times than the Special. Less scary playing one not quite so fancy. They both sound pretty much the same.

I have run into a small problem that I told Joe about... I've got my hearing aids and MAN it's great having them. BUT they're not perfect. One example is for the first time since I got them I've plugged in 3 guitars: the GB5, the Special and the Standard. And on each amp (in my office) I get some sort of "farty" sound. On the GB5 is was the low E string, on the Special too though the Tremorverb. Plugged into the Texas Flood which is closer to where I sit when I'm on the computer the B string has a dissonant tone that is only there plugged in. It's my damn hearing aids. The ear buds have these little speaker like diaphrams and they're interacting with the amp speaker. In a day or so I'm gonna try my old Deluxe which is next to my practice couch and hopefully that takes care of THAT...

Big

QUOTE=Hammertone;950973]Indeed! You cracked the super-secret code, I see.

The same guitar was sold on ebay @ a year ago.
    At that time, it didn't have the matching Macassar ebony tuner buttons or the waycool Biltoft pickup. It had a Kent A mini-humbucker on a Macassar ebony pickguard. It was advertised as having a 25 1/2" scale and a 1 3/4" nut.[/QUOTE]

What a score Mike. Gotta love the flame on a natural blonde. Thanks for posting those amazing pictures. I am right with you singing 'OH DI DO DA DAY'.

User Info Menu

... this is a guitar I'll likely play many more times than the Special. Less scary playing one not quite so fancy. They both sound pretty much the same. ...
    The extra bling has no meaningful effect on the sound or playability.
    The Campellone Standard / Deluxe / Special use a similar approach to the bling relationships between, say, Gibson's old L-7P / L-12P / L-5P. Here's a new Campellone Standard at Murch/L&M in Cambridge, Ontario, for anyone inspired to get a new one. Probaby built at the same time as the Standard that Mike just got:
    Attached Images Attached Images Camptown Ladies - Campellone Fan Thread-campellone-standard17-back_3989-jpg Camptown Ladies - Campellone Fan Thread-campellone-standard17-front_3990-jpg 
    Last edited by Hammertone; 05-02-2019 at 01:43 AM.

User Info Menu

Somebody bet on the bay

Camptown Ladies - Campellone Fan Thread-b39863d0-f90e-4667-be1b-0d8c56b930bc-jpg

Congratulations, Big Mike. I own 4930616, two numbers before yours, although I assume part of the same run. Mine is a 16" thin line standard with a built-in Lollar humbucker and a 25" scale, and was commissioned from Mark a retirement present to myself a couple of years ago. These are lovely guitars, even without the added bling.

User Info Menu

Camptown Ladies - Campellone Fan Thread-cbfb7bf3-6952-46af-91d7-434a335806f7-jpgCamptown Ladies - Campellone Fan Thread-9cf30c4c-96e4-47bb-83c4-c9c7481f1955-jpgCamptown Ladies - Campellone Fan Thread-10fbab19-5a05-42cd-9044-c920660be3f8-jpgWell a quick note to Bill Coleman, the seller, produced glorious results. He ordered the tortoise guard specially from Mark to accommodate the Custom Rolled pickup and he's sending me the original Macassar Ebony guard with the Kent Armstrong pickup... How cool is that.

Photos of the fingerboard from different angles. Lovely wood...

Big
    Last edited by BigMikeinNJ; 05-01-2019 at 12:17 PM.

User Info Menu

BMW2002

Like they say at Disneyland "It's small world after all..."

Post some photos of yours here man, you know we're all gear whores. Why not ???

Big

Quote Originally Posted by bmw2002
    Congratulations, Big Mike. I own 4930616, two numbers before yours, although I assume part of the same run. Mine is a 16" thin line standard with a built-in Lollar humbucker and a 25" scale, and was commissioned from Mark a retirement present to myself a couple of years ago. These are lovely guitars, even without the added bling.

User Info Menu

I keep telling Joe a Campellone trumps a L5 but he won’t listen. Congrats Mike on another Campellone masterpiece.
    I will sent this post to Mark to get the build date.

User Info Menu

Thanks Vinny

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    I keep telling Joe a Campellone trumps a L5 but he won’t listen. Congrats Mike on another Campellone masterpiece.
    I will sent this post to Mark to get the build date.

User Info Menu

So how many Campellones does it take t.....................?
    Last edited by jads57; 05-01-2019 at 03:48 PM.

User Info Menu

Da**, that's sweet. LOVE the fingerboard and tail together.

User Info Menu

Yes, Vinny does tell me this, all the time.
    Ya know, if the Standard was in that Amber Burst Viceroy Brownish color, that would have been tempting..

I dont know what it is. When I was younger, I drank some Kool-Aid maybe.. I love Gibson. But I know, I really should get out more often..

JD

User Info Menu

That's a beautiful instrument, Big. Doo da day, indeed. Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

he's sending me the original Macassar Ebony guard
    That's awesome! Will certainly top it off aesthetically.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    That's awesome! Will certainly top it off aesthetically.
    It really will. That is cool.
    You know, I wonder what the difference between the pickups will be. My guess, the KA will be plenty good enough. The Biltoft will probably be amazing too. I wonder which one is a better match for a beautiful carved archtop though.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

BMW2002

Like they say at Disneyland "It's small world after all..."

Post some photos of yours here man, you know we're all gear whores. Why not ???

Big
    Here are a couple: one in Mark's shop as it was being completed (my guess is that your guitar is lurking somewhere in the background), and one with my (now sold) Gries 5 amp -- this was my "All New England rig" -- a Rhode Island luthier guitar and a Massachusetts made amp in our (now sold) 1748 Connecticut farm house.

Camptown Ladies - Campellone Fan Thread-img_3907_1-2-jpgCamptown Ladies - Campellone Fan Thread-l1040431-jpg
    Last edited by bmw2002; 05-01-2019 at 03:48 PM.

User Info Menu

Mike per Mark C. Your new Campellone was completed June 6 2016.
    Hammertone was correct. His 495th guitar.

User Info Menu

Yes the serial number scheme is very precise and sort of anal in a good way, much the way guys have described his shop: neat, orderly almost in a surgery room way and very together...

I'm excited to have the original pick guard and pickup assembly AND the one that is on there now. Always wanted a Pete built pickup... Hammer, you're gonna have to lay down some real money and have Mark make you a custom guard and pickup for YOUR guitar. I'm sure he'll accommodate you...

Big

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Mike per Mark C. Your new Campellone was completed June 6 2016.
    Hammertone was correct. His 495th guitar.

User Info Menu

A gorgeous piece... I have such a budding appreciation for masters like Mark, and Roger Borys and others. I say it again and again, you can learn a lot here but man this place gives me GAS big time...

Big

Quote Originally Posted by bmw2002
    Here are a couple: one in Mark's shop as it was being completed (my guess is that your guitar is lurking somewhere in the background), and one with my (now sold) Gries 5 amp -- this was my "All New England rig" -- a Rhode Island luthier guitar and a Massachusetts made amp in our (now sold) 1748 Connecticut farm house.

Camptown Ladies - Campellone Fan Thread-img_3907_1-2-jpgCamptown Ladies - Campellone Fan Thread-l1040431-jpg

User Info Menu

I called Mark today and had a very lengthy conversation with him. I'm sure its not often some dude calls to bubble and gush on about how he bought TWO of his guitars within a week... We were laughing and carrying on, he is just a great guy PERIOD... I told him I was real curious about the specs on the Standard after having Hammer "correct me" on my stated specs... He said he started keeping accurate records but thought the Standard was made before he had detailed specs in his ledger.

About five minutes later he called me back complaining he'd had a sort of senior moment about his record keeping and HE DID have the specs on the guitar in detail. It was a batch of guitars made for a music store and they ALL had the 25 inch scale on them... SO, from the Master's Book it's a 25 inch scale...

We got talking more about gear I have and he looked up the Super Patrick I had once owned and saw the American Eagle I took in trade for it from Marty Grass and then I told him about the Unity's and the George Benson's I own. It was a lot of fun. He'd be a great guy to share a pizza with and swap stories...

I'm really glad I do this, it's so satisfying to own something so beautiful and talk to the builder who's a very special man indeed...

Big