The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 61

User Info Menu

Mark Campellone is a total class act in every way. I LOVE the guitar he made me.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Mark Campellone IS a class act! And, I'm glad I got to play Vinny's. Furthermore, I love mine too!
    Congratulations on the NGD BigMike! Some serious Campellone love going on here. It's a beauty.
    When I read your post this morning, It inspired me to give mine a cleaning and new set of strings. So, today, you are my inspiration! Not the only one, but one nonetheless!

Thank you!
    Camptown Ladies - Campellone Fan Thread-20190503_112933-jpg

User Info Menu

Camptown Ladies - Campellone Fan Thread-59483321_10156393327562239_3508460214602956800_n-jpgCamptown Ladies - Campellone Fan Thread-59273946_10156393327627239_1230540802120220672_n-jpgCamptown Ladies - Campellone Fan Thread-59940695_10156393327652239_7120494677945483264_n-jpgCamptown Ladies - Campellone Fan Thread-59203775_10156393327587239_6342105776227614720_n-jpg

That's a real beauty... You feel like sharing what the backside looks like ???

So today the
    pick guard arrived, I just got it. Here's a couple of shots of it on my trusty cutting board. Enjoy

Big

Last edited by BigMikeinNJ; 05-03-2019 at 06:03 PM.

User Info Menu

Sky, When I get one, it will be EXACTLY like that!
    That is a perfect guitar. Wow.
    Joe D

Quote Originally Posted by skykomishone
    Mark Campellone IS a class act! And, I'm glad I got to play Vinny's. Furthermore, I love mine too!
    Congratulations on the NGD BigMike! Some serious Campellone love going on here. It's a beauty.
    When I read your post this morning, It inspired me to give mine a cleaning and new set of strings. So, today, you are my inspiration! Not the only one, but one nonetheless!

Thank you!

User Info Menu

Mark can really do justice to a sunburst finish too. Not to mention it is like glass. No orange peel and the spruce on mine didn't suck in the lacquer like my Gibson's did. Mark uses a sealer first. Gibson does not. I really like the Standard too. Been thinking long and hard about a Standard but it would take me away from play time on the one I have and love already.

Steve yours has that great simple beauty like a fine violin. I would need the fretboard dot inlays though. All my life I either had dots or blocks. I would probably get lost without them. Where the hell am I .....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    ...I would need the fretboard dot inlays though. All my life I either had dots or blocks. I would probably get lost without them. Where the hell am I .....
    Dots are a no-charge item.
    Attached Images Attached Images Camptown Ladies - Campellone Fan Thread-campellone2310803-front_3965-jpg 

User Info Menu

BigMike you are a bad influence - and a great guy with some wonderful guitars. My good friend Larry Wexer brought this over yesterday. It came from a private collection - unplayed. Flawless workmanship and not a single mark anywhere. We had a fun a day of guitar playing. Larry is a phenomenal guitar player and we have a long history together. It’s a Campellone special with lots of Abalone - even on the tail pc. - and pearl tuners. I bought it and it’s a keeper - a real gift from my friend Larry.

Rich fat tone - a fantastic guitar with beautiful balance . I believe this one has all European woods - it’s labeled E series special.

To everyone who posted - enjoy your Campellone’s - they are the best value in an American made Archtop guitar. For those on the fence about buying one - if you can swing it - it’s a no brainer. Oh - and I love the volute -

User Info Menu

I have posted pictures of my Special before, but I wanted to join in on this thread and express my respect for Campellones again.
    Keith
    Camptown Ladies - Campellone Fan Thread-6b515a7a-4ad4-43ac-a384-c182040074c1-jpgCamptown Ladies - Campellone Fan Thread-ac02adb4-2ed2-4083-bc11-2166461fa26e-jpg

User Info Menu

I found this gem on YouTube.

one of my favorite players out there. And a classy guy. A gentleman plays a guitar a certain way. Just like this guy.

QA, man you got yourself a real beauty there. You really know how to pick em. Gorgeous.

Joe D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    I found this gem on YouTube.

one of my favorite players out there. And a classy guy. A gentleman plays a guitar a certain way. Just like this guy.

QA, man you got yourself a real beauty there. You really know how to pick em. Gorgeous.

Joe D
    Joe:
    You’re embarrassing me man!
    Keith

User Info Menu

Mark builds some of the finest Gibson derivative archtop guitars out there bar none...

Over the last 30 years, he has found a way to keep a value price point across his range of guitars by locating his shop on his property, limiting custom the options, building in batches, use of a duplicarver and fixturing to make his construction processes efficient. He also has maintained a small network of retailers to supplement his direct commission sales.

Congratulations on your two new guitars...

User Info Menu

Keith,
    It more special when somebody else posts your videos.
    you know I only mean well. And I only speak the truth.. you are an outstanding player.
    And my pal too!
    JD

Quote Originally Posted by floatingpickup
    Joe:
    You’re embarrassing me man!
    Keith

User Info Menu

I'm gonna have to rename my thread CAMPELLONE ADMIRATION SOCIETY...

SKY,
    Your guitar is so beautiful. There's something so amazing about the gorgeous simplicity of these Standards....
    Love it !! You should be right proud...

Big

Quote Originally Posted by skykomishone

Thank you!

User Info Menu

Hammer,

Is this yours ??? I ask because when talking to Mark I mentioned you and he said he thought you had one of his more PreWar old style 16 inch L5s... An area I have not dabbled in yet but from what the guys that have them state something to really consider... It's a lovely guitar...

Big

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    Dots are a no-charge item.

User Info Menu

After getting the Standard and knowing how amazing the Specials are I was seriously going to call Larry and ask him about the HOLD status on this one and could I buy it. At the price he had it for it's a stupid amazing deal. BUT I see you got it and man that is soooooooo freakin' great !!! What a lovely guitar... Yeah.

Lucky you buddy, play it in good health. It's really the bomb...

Big

Quote Originally Posted by QAman
    BigMike you are a bad influence - and a great guy with some wonderful guitars. My good friend Larry Wexer brought this over yesterday. It came from a private collection - unplayed. Flawless workmanship and not a single mark anywhere. We had a fun a day of guitar playing. Larry is a phenomenal guitar player and we have a long history together. It’s a Campellone special with lots of Abalone - even on the tail pc. - and pearl tuners. I bought it and it’s a keeper - a real gift from my friend Larry.

Rich fat tone - a fantastic guitar with beautiful balance . I believe this one has all European woods - it’s labeled E series special.

To everyone who posted - enjoy your Campellone’s - they are the best value in an American made Archtop guitar. For those on the fence about buying one - if you can swing it - it’s a no brainer. Oh - and I love the volute -

User Info Menu

Floating...

Oh man, this is so pretty, I'm at a loss for words here guys. These Campy's are just KILLING IT !!! Why buy a damn Gibson when you can have something SOOOO MUCH MORE for less money is beyond my comprehension...

Congrats !!

Big

Quote Originally Posted by floatingpickup
    I have posted pictures of my Special before, but I wanted to join in on this thread and express my respect for Campellones again.
    Keith
    Camptown Ladies - Campellone Fan Thread-6b515a7a-4ad4-43ac-a384-c182040074c1-jpgCamptown Ladies - Campellone Fan Thread-ac02adb4-2ed2-4083-bc11-2166461fa26e-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeinNJ
    After getting the Standard and knowing how amazing the Specials are I was seriously going to call Larry and ask him about the HOLD status on this one and could I buy it. At the price he had it for it's a stupid amazing deal. BUT I see you got it and man that is soooooooo freakin' great !!! What a lovely guitar... Yeah.

Lucky you buddy, play it in good health. It's really the bomb...

Big
    BigMike,
    I just couldn’t pass it up. The pictures don’t do it justice . The guitar is brand new with extraordinary workmanship. These are the finest Gibson L7/L5 equivalents being made. In light of Gibson’s “ custom order “ only status of higher end Archtops- it’s a prudent decision to pick up Campellone’s when they come to market.

Congrats on your two - and I apologize if I hijacked your post - but I wanted to share with all about how excellent a value these Campellone’s are compared to current market offerings.

Stay well !

User Info Menu

Best bang for the buck for a premier high end archtop of the highest quality period.

User Info Menu

Hammer,

....when talking to Mark I mentioned you and he said he thought you had one of his more PreWar old style 16 inch L5s... An area I have not dabbled in yet but from what the guys that have them state something to really consider... It's a lovely guitar...

Big
    I've been seriously considering exactly that - having Mark build me pre-war old style 16 in. L-5. Does his gallery have a photo of it ? Not sure I saw it.

I think I'd better get going on this - - I'm not getting any younger......
    Last edited by Dennis D; 05-04-2019 at 12:07 PM.

User Info Menu

Hammer, Is this yours ??? I ask because when talking to Mark I mentioned you and he said he thought you had one of his more PreWar old style 16 inch L5s... An area I have not dabbled in yet but from what the guys that have them state something to really consider... It's a lovely guitar... Big
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D
    I've been seriously considering exactly that - having Mark build me pre-war old style 16 in. L-5. Does his gallery have a photo of it ? Not sure I saw it.
    Yes, that's one of mine. It does have a raft of subtle custom details related to pre-Advanced 16" L-5 guitars, at the request of a customer who owned a couple of 16" L-5 guitars, but I consider it a modern acoustic archtop guitar.

Here's one from 2017 (#5161217), that also tips its hat to the pre-Advanced 16" L-5 , and is in his Gallery. As you can see, Mark is not building a repro, like some current builders, but is referencing the past within the envelope of his own design. And, yes, that is one hell of a piece of wood:
    Attached Images Attached Images Camptown Ladies - Campellone Fan Thread-campellone-16-17-5161217_6100-jpg Camptown Ladies - Campellone Fan Thread-campellone-16-17-5161217_6121-jpg Camptown Ladies - Campellone Fan Thread-campellone-16-17-5161217_6118-jpg Camptown Ladies - Campellone Fan Thread-campellone-16-17-5161217_6067-jpg Camptown Ladies - Campellone Fan Thread-campellone-16-17-5161217_6074-jpg 
    Last edited by Hammertone; 05-05-2019 at 04:59 AM.

User Info Menu

Yes, that's one of mine. It does have a raft of subtle custom details related to pre-Advanced 16" L-5 guitars,

Here's one from 2017 (#5161217), that also tips its hat to the pre-Advanced 16" L-5 , and is in his Gallery. As you can see, Mark is not building a repro, like some current builders, but is referencing the past within the envelope of his own design.
    Thanks HT.
    Does Mark offer the usual nut width and scale length choices ? And if so, given I'm used to both a pre- and post-war L-7, how exactly should I configure this ? I'm thinking wide nut and long scale. And what would the depth be ? The size would be 16 in.
    Are his standard frets ok ? I have never played one of his but I'll bet I'd already own one if I had. In the US midwest, we just don't see a lot of archtops.

Thanks.

User Info Menu

Dennis, most of your answers are here:

Models | MCampellone.com
    "All models are constructed using North American spruce and maple tonewoods and are offered with the following options:
    Body: 16” or 17”
    Rim Depth: 3” or 2.25”
    Nut Width: 1&11/16” or 1&3/4”
    Fingerboard Scale: 24.6”, 25” or 25.5”
    Neck: one piece or laminate construction
    Finishes: natural, antique natural, amber sunburst, chestnut sunburst, bright or dark cherry sunburst, vintage sunburst, blueburst, wine red."

His Standard is probably the closest in overall vibe to a pre-Advanced 16" L-5, since you can get it with dot fretboard inlays, no f-hole binding, and relatively plain binding. Or get the Deluxe or Special - more money for more bling, zero difference in build quality, finish quality, or performance.

You can ask for Grover 18:1 openback, Waverly or Sloane tuners as opposed to his standard Rotomatics, for more of an old-school vibe. I don't know if he will do the snakehead, but you can certainly ask.
    Standard specs are here:
    http://www.mcampellone.com/standard-series/
    "Features:
    Venetian cutaway body with carved, hand graduated top of solid 3A spruce – carved, hand graduated back of solid 2A maple with matching solid maple rims, 3ply multi-bound top, single-bound back, fingerboard and peghead, single-bound tortoise-shell style pickguard, figured maple neck, ebony fingerboard with side dot position markers, ebony bridge with full contact base, Standard Series tailpiece of gold plated brass with ebony appliqué, gold Grover tuners with keystone buttons, floating pickup with pickguard mounted thumbwheel volume and tone controls, hard-shell case.
    Options:
    -Built-in humbucking pickup with body mounted volume and tone controls
    -
    Pearl dot position markers (no extra charge)
    -Substitute rosewood for ebony parts (no extra charge)
    -Wood upgrades (priced on request)"

His frets work just fine on any of the Campellones I've ever tried, and I've never thought about
    them beyond that. You can call and ask him about his frets. As far as neck depth goes, you can sort that out with him as well. He's easy to reach here:
    Contact | MCampellone.com
    M. Campellone Guitars
    5 Mapleville Road
    Greenville , RI 02828
    Phone: 401-949-3716
    E-mail:
    mcgtr@verizon.net
    www.mcampellone.com

Last edited by Hammertone; 05-06-2019 at 03:03 AM.

User Info Menu

Dennis, most of your answers are here:

Models | MCampellone.com
    "All models are constructed using North American spruce and maple tonewoods and are offered with the following options:
    Body: 16” or 17”
    Rim Depth: 3” or 2.25”
    Nut Width: 1&11/16” or 1&3/4”
    Fingerboard Scale: 24.6”, 25” or 25.5”
    Neck: one piece or laminate construction
    Finishes: natural, antique natural, amber sunburst, chestnut sunburst, bright or dark cherry sunburst, vintage sunburst, blueburst, wine red."

His Standard is probably the closest in overall vibe to a pre-Advanced 16" L-5, since you can get it with dot fretboard inlays, no f-hole binding, and relatively plain binding. Or get the Deluxe or Special - more money for more bling, zero difference in build quality, finish quality, or performance.

You can ask for Waverly or Sloan tuners as opposed to his standard Rotomatics, for more of an old-school vibe. I don't know if he will do the snakehead, but you can certainly ask.
    Standard specs are here:
    http://www.mcampellone.com/standard-series/
    "Features:
    Venetian cutaway body with carved, hand graduated top of solid 3A spruce – carved, hand graduated back of solid 2A maple with matching solid maple rims, 3ply multi-bound top, single-bound back, fingerboard and peghead, single-bound tortoise-shell style pickguard, figured maple neck, ebony fingerboard with side dot position markers, ebony bridge with full contact base, Standard Series tailpiece of gold plated brass with ebony appliqué, gold Grover tuners with keystone buttons, floating pickup with pickguard mounted thumbwheel volume and tone controls, hard-shell case.
    Options:
    -Built-in humbucking pickup with body mounted volume and tone controls
    -
    Pearl dot position markers (no extra charge)
    -Substitute rosewood for ebony parts (no extra charge)
    -Wood upgrades (priced on request)"

His frets work just fine on any of the Campellones I've ever tried, and I've never thought about
    them beyond that. You can call and ask him about his frets. As far as neck depth goes, you can sort that out with him as well. He's easy to reach here:
    Contact | MCampellone.com
    M. Campellone Guitars
    5 Mapleville Road
    Greenville , RI 02828
    Phone: 401-949-3716
    E-mail:
    mcgtr@verizon.net
    www.mcampellone.com

Thanks again HT! When I had knocked this around last year, Mark had answered some of these questions. I just missed these particulars on his site this time around.
    We'll see.

User Info Menu

NP. I'd ask him for deeper rims as well. Among the specs for my 16":
    -X-bracing
    -3 1/4" rims
    -16" width
    -19 3/4" length
    -24 3/4" scale

User Info Menu

NP. I'd ask him for deeper rims as well. Among the specs for my 16":
    -X-bracing
    -3 1/4" rims
    -16" width
    -19 3/4" length
    -24 3/4" scale
    Ebony or rosewood fb ? Nut width ?
    What do you mean by 'length' ?
    Did you ever think of having him kerf the bracing ?
    I'm thinking of a trapeze tp, gold old style single tuners, so i end up with a look like a 29 L-5, or L-12. Thx H
    Camptown Ladies - Campellone Fan Thread-l-12-jpgCamptown Ladies - Campellone Fan Thread-l-5-w-pic-frame-inlays-png