The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

I have an Ear Candy 1x8” speaker cab. I’ve been thinking about running a tube head through it. I see an old Bassman head in CL. Is that likely to work?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Could be a nice match. It sure is a nice amp head to own.

User Info Menu

Make sure the amp's impedance is compatible with you cab.

User Info Menu

And check the power rating on the speaker.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bach5G
    I have an Ear Candy 1x8” speaker cab. I’ve been thinking about running a tube head through it. I see an old Bassman head in CL. Is that likely to work?
    Sure, why not?!
    The other comments are correct, though: check the Ohms, and check the watts.

[The last EC cab I owned had the wrong speakers at the wrong Ohms than what I had ordered, so please don't trust what's written on the back of the cab -- open it up and see for yourself!]

Have fun -- the Bassman is a great amp! Of course, through most 1x8's it won't be a huge sound, but still cool!

User Info Menu

If this is a 50-watt silverface Bassman, it wants to see 4 ohms. Your speaker is probably 8 ohms.

User Info Menu

The Earcandy 1x8 is only as good as the speaker in it so first open up the back of the cab and see what's inside. Some of these shipped with a speaker that could only be generously described as "inappropriate". I had one and upgraded from something that looked like it came from a Radio Shack home stereo cab to an Eminence Beta 8A. It went from unusable to really great.

It has an Eminence Beta-8A, which is rated at 225 watts.

User Info Menu

It has an Eminence Beta-8A, which is rated at 225 watts.
    That is not really a guitar speaker, only usable up to 4.5KHz (most guitar speakers are good up to about 6K); but, for jazz sound that might be OK. It's 8ohms, looks tough enough for the Bassman, which wants a 4ohm load, but 8ohms at jazz volumes should be fine.

User Info Menu

If the head puts out 4 and the speaker is 8 it could cause the head to overheat. posably blow a fuse or shut itself down when it gets to hot.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JaxJaxon
    If the head puts out 4 and the speaker is 8 it could cause the head to overheat. posably blow a fuse or shut itself down when it gets to hot.
    The head does not "put out 4", that is the load it is designed to drive. Fender output transformers will drive an impedance mismatch up or down one step - wanting to see 4ohms it will be fine seeing either 8 or 2. That applies for loud rock and roll.

Impedance matching is most important when delivering power; in this case, using the rig for jazz, the amp may not be delivering more than about five watts.

I have a RE NY8 style clone ( 8" cab with an eminence beta 8 and two ports) and have used it with big 100w tube heads with great results. The Eminence Beta 8 is actually a great speaker which is very even sounding so don't let the marketing fool you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hans halmackenreuter
    I have a RE NY8 style clone ( 8" cab with an eminence beta 8 and two ports) and have used it with big 100w tube heads with great results. The Eminence Beta 8 is actually a great speaker which is very even sounding so don't let the marketing fool you.
    Completely agree. I loved my NY8.