Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Between a bunch of technical problems, a switch from Mac to PC, learning new software, and a whole bunch of geographic changes of the last several years, I've had a really miserable time trying get any quality recording done. A few months ago I decided to dive into Reaper and I asked for help here. The response was really a wonderful sign of the quality of this community. People went to remarkable lengths to help and it has helped. I've learned a bunch of new things and I'm continuing to improve because of your input.

    I recorded this today. I tried to incorporate a lot of what you've all taught me and I'm pretty happy with the results. So thanks to all for your effort and your patience. You've been hearing bits of this piece in several of my experiments and now here's the whole thing.

    My CD "Bare Handed" is available as a download at Bandcamp.com
    http://jimsoloway.bandcamp.com/album/bare-handed

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2

    User Info Menu

    Jim, we should be thanking you. You have been one of the long-standing pillars of this community for a long time and helped make it what it is. Class all the time and all the way. And your videos are a special treat for all of us, especially me!
    Thank you Buddy.
    PS this one is extraordinary. Great sound, great playing and you look OK too!

  4. #3

    User Info Menu

    I play that tune. How come it doesn't sound like that?



    . . . depression setting in.

  5. #4

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Klatu View Post
    I play that tune. How come it doesn't sound like that?



    . . . depression setting in.
    Me too.

  6. #5

    User Info Menu

    Thanks guys. There is method to all of it, arrangement, technique and expression. I'd be happy to explain any of it to anyone who has any questions.
    My CD "Bare Handed" is available as a download at Bandcamp.com
    http://jimsoloway.bandcamp.com/album/bare-handed

  7. #6

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Max405 View Post
    Jim, we should be thanking you. You have been one of the long-standing pillars of this community for a long time and helped make it what it is. Class all the time and all the way. And your videos are a special treat for all of us, especially me!
    Thank you Buddy.
    PS this one is extraordinary. Great sound, great playing and you look OK too!
    Thanks. I've had a lot of time to shed for the last year or so and I've been really obsessive about it. I've crossed a couple of conceptual boundaries and I'm feeling pretty good about the progress I've been making

    As for looking good ... thanks again. It took a while to settle in but life in Mexico is starting to really agree with both of us. We're living a really healthy life and weather is remarkable. We're settled for the first time in a couple years and it's really starting to feel like home. Now I think it's time to go out and find a couple gigs. There's probably 50 nice restaurants within easy walking distance so it shouldn't be too hard.
    My CD "Bare Handed" is available as a download at Bandcamp.com
    http://jimsoloway.bandcamp.com/album/bare-handed

  8. #7

    User Info Menu

    What a beautiful rendition of a great song!!

    Nicely done, Jim.

    Looking forward to more recordings from you.

  9. #8

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway View Post
    Thanks guys. There is method to all of it, arrangement, technique and expression. I'd be happy to explain any of it to anyone who has any questions.
    Please do!
    Beauty is as close to terror as we can well endure. -Rainer Maria Rilke

  10. #9

    User Info Menu

    One of my favorite tunes. Great arrangement and playing - thanks for sharing it. What tuning are you using there?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  11. #10

    User Info Menu

    Pssstttt, that's a solid body? Didn't you ever hear that you can't get THAT kind of sound from a "plank" ?

    Nice playing Jim!
    Regards,

    Gary

  12. #11

    User Info Menu

    Beautiful sounding performance, Jim.

    Is that a custom made guitar?

    Doug

  13. #12

    User Info Menu

    best sound you've gotten yet Jim! Using plugins after the fact maybe you could warm it up a little with some tape or slight compression/eq? Maybe a bit of room sound ambiance somehow using cabinet simulation......not really sure how people are doing that. I'm reading thru a thread on the TGP on different ideas on how to incorporate that. Some interesting ideas. Check it out Jim!
    Faking room tone | The Gear Page

    I like it how it is tho.

  14. #13

    User Info Menu

    Oh! Such beauty!

  15. #14

    User Info Menu

    Thanks to al for the kind remarks.

    Some answers about the guitar...

    Yes it's a custom guitar. For those of you who don't know, I was in the guitar building business for a number of years and this is a guitar we built specifically for me. It looks like a solid body (and it is a plank) but it's actually a chambered body, much like a Tele thin line. It has what we called "fingerstyle spacing" which means a 1 13/16 nut width and a 2 3/16 bridge spacing. This particular guitar also has the chunkiest neck we ever built, so it plays very much like a classical. Like all of our necks, it's loaded with a pair of graphite rods. That makes it both very stable and almost impervious to climate changes.

    The guitar is strung with flat wound D'Addario Chrome 10's and tuned town to Db standard pitch. The combination of the light strings and the lowered tuning means there is incredibly low tension on the strings. It works for the way that I play but I suspect most people would find it close to unplayable.
    My CD "Bare Handed" is available as a download at Bandcamp.com
    http://jimsoloway.bandcamp.com/album/bare-handed

  16. #15

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by callouscallus View Post
    best sound you've gotten yet Jim! Using plugins after the fact maybe you could warm it up a little with some tape or slight compression/eq? Maybe a bit of room sound ambiance somehow using cabinet simulation......not really sure how people are doing that. I'm reading thru a thread on the TGP on different ideas on how to incorporate that. Some interesting ideas. Check it out Jim!
    Faking room tone | The Gear Page

    I like it how it is tho.
    Thanks. That's definitely a missing piece for me. Very useful.
    My CD "Bare Handed" is available as a download at Bandcamp.com
    http://jimsoloway.bandcamp.com/album/bare-handed

  17. #16

    User Info Menu

    Jim, thank you for the post. It's good that things have settled a bit and the recording is getting sorted out. I enjoyed the video. It sounds great and makes me wonder about string gauge and tone in a completely different way, not necessarily positively correlated. Great work!

  18. #17

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by skykomishone View Post
    Jim, thank you for the post. It's good that things have settled a bit and the recording is getting sorted out. I enjoyed the video. It sounds great and makes me wonder about string gauge and tone in a completely different way, not necessarily positively correlated. Great work!
    It's always good to hear that my results encourage people to challenge their beliefs but as you ask the questions you should also bear in mind that what I'm doing is a lot more than just using lighter strings. Somehow I have developed an entire approach to playing that is very different from the norm in a lot of ways. I play further forward than usual, both on the body and the fingerboard. I play with fingers only with a method that is self-taught and unconventional. I play with an absurdly light touch that doesn't drive the strings very hard. The result is that I get very little acoustic volume so my volume on the guitar and the amp (or interface in this case) has to be cranked much higher than most people are used to. Because I'm playing so lightly, I also get a much narrower movement in the string. That really changes the way it sounds.

    The upsides to all of that is that I end up with a pretty consistent and identifiable tone and I can play some very big chords and stretches because of the lack of tension. The downside is that the whole setup requires a lot of discipline and consistency otherwise there can be problems with volume spikes, buzzing and intonation. It's a system that I basically evolved into when I was very young and it just kept moving in that direction over a lot of years. It works well for me but I'm not sure I would recommend it for anyone else. At the very least there would be a significant adjustment for anyone wanting to give it a try.
    My CD "Bare Handed" is available as a download at Bandcamp.com
    http://jimsoloway.bandcamp.com/album/bare-handed

  19. #18

    User Info Menu

    Jim, I finally got back to this post while in my studio. Sounds really great, and it sounds like your sound. Beautiful playing also.

    Reverb sounds great, what did you settle on?

    Are you able to monitor hearing this sound while recording the performance?

    Cheers,
    Attached Images Attached Images A special thanks to the members of this forum.-studio-jpg 
    B+
    Frank (aka fep)

  20. #19

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by fep View Post
    Jim, I finally got back to this post while in my studio. Sounds really great, and it sounds like your sound. Beautiful playing also.

    Reverb sounds great, what did you settle on?

    Are you able to monitor hearing this sound while recording the performance?

    Cheers,
    Thanks Frank. The verb is a blend of very light delay with an equally light reverb.

    As for whether I can monitor this while I'm playing, the answer is "absolutely not". What I hear is a very quiet untouched guitar from my monitors mixed with a huge amount of random street noise.
    Last edited by Jim Soloway; 05-02-2019 at 01:00 PM.
    My CD "Bare Handed" is available as a download at Bandcamp.com
    http://jimsoloway.bandcamp.com/album/bare-handed