The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 28

User Info Menu

He creates minimalist spaces with strong tone and amazing feel

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'm thinking of him more as the contemporary Joe Pass of the guitar. He sees the potential of the instrument as a complete instrument. His solo work is unrivaled in any genre. And he plays with an uncompromising sense of beauty and expression.
    If you haven't yet, you've got to get his new CD Day After Day. 2 CD set, one of them unaccompanied solo guitar, the other trio, covering standards and new standards of show, pop and movie themes.

David

User Info Menu

Will have to check Ben out.

User Info Menu

I'm especially fond of his sideman work, like in Reid Anderson's "The Vastness Of Space" or Bill Mc Henry's "Rest Stop"

User Info Menu

Jiff is like the Elvis of peanut butter.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    Jiff is like the Elvis of peanut butter.
    Just cuz you read that on the "Jiff is like the Elvis of peanut butter" website doesn't make it true. I read the same thing and after reading the "Skippy is the best despite making bad peanut butter" website, Skippy has to be Elvis too. Thank you. Thank you very much.
    David

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by patshep
    Poppycock.

It’s clearly Mike Moreno

Seriously I think most of the modern jazz players who use lots of ambience are influenced somewhat by Gilmour.

I know I am (and also his friend who turned him onto delay, John Martyn. Also Johnny greenwood.)

Ben is a rock fan (including lots of extreme metal) so a direct influence would not surprise me. Think Kurt is more of a Rush and Zeppelin guy?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TruthHertz
    I'm thinking of him more as the contemporary Joe Pass of the guitar. He sees the potential of the instrument as a complete instrument. His solo work is unrivaled in any genre. And he plays with an uncompromising sense of beauty and expression.
    If you haven't yet, you've got to get his new CD Day After Day. 2 CD set, one of them unaccompanied solo guitar, the other trio, covering standards and new standards of show, pop and movie themes.

David
    He’s an amazing diverse multitalented musician and I suspect thinks of himself as much as a composer as an improviser, if not more so.

I find a lot of his compositions that I’ve heard are a bit too prog rock for me (it didn’t surprise me when Bowie used him, because he’s basically the heir to Robert Fripp if you ask me) but I really like that spooky American Art Song thing he does like Charlotte’s Song.... shades of the Samuel Barber songs....

And I have to listen to his new CD cos I like it when he plays songs.

Guy is influenced as much by modern classical as jazz and seems to check out much else beside. To call him a jazz player seems a bit limiting. It was interesting to me when he said he recorded that double CD cos he was fed up of touring his very difficult written music (he said he was never able to play right although I doubt any of us would notice, humble guy) and not doing any improv. I like to hear the improv.

User Info Menu

I got it - the modern Johnny Smith :-) those chords! Those chops!

User Info Menu

I don't think Bowie chose him, he chose Donny McCaslin (trough Maria Schneider), who then picked the rest of the band. But I might be wrong.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Poppycock.

It’s clearly Mike Moreno

Seriously I think most of the modern jazz players who use lots of ambience are influenced somewhat by Gilmour.

I know I am (and also his friend who turned him onto delay, John Martyn. Also Johnny greenwood.)

Ben is a rock fan (including lots of extreme metal) so a direct influence would not surprise me. Think Kurt is more of a Rush and Zeppelin guy?

Very cool interpretation of "Breathe". It prompted me to listen to the whole album, which is great. Thanks.

Regarding the original topic, I say Oldsmobile is the Cadillac of minivans.

John
    Last edited by John A.; 04-23-2019 at 12:27 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Very cool interpretation of "Breathe". I prompted me to listen to the whole album, which is great. Thanks.

Regarding the original topic, I say Oldsmobile is the Cadillac of minivans.

John
    I like that album a lot

User Info Menu

Don't forget that jazz already has David Gilmore.

User Info Menu

So, Dave Gilmore is the Dave Gilmour of jazz?

User Info Menu

Dave Gilmore is the Ben Monder of Ben Monder being the David Gilmore of jazz I think

User Info Menu

This should be in the Player section I think?

In any event, he is one of the best technical guitarists around these days. I find his more complex compositions very fascinating, though I wouldn't want to listen to such exclusively. It's just too dense.

Looking forward to exploring his new album--the few cuts I've heard are excellent.

On a side note, Bowie's songs are only as good as the riffs of his guitarist (sometimes Bowie himself--Rebel Rebel). If you can't make out the riff, the song ain't that great. (Though his last album is a freaking masterpiece--the summit of his entire career.)

User Info Menu

Here's a two degrees of separation gem for you.
    Lou Reed recorded his landmark song Walk On The Wild Side and Bowie was his sideman. Two decades ago Ben covered that song with a band in NY. He and Bowie got to record together just before he died. It's nice to hear Ben as the chameleon sideman, just adding the perfect touch and not getting in the way. He'd a bit like Bill Frisell that way.
    David

User Info Menu

Dave Gilmour's favorite band.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by patshep
    I find some of his music to be the opposite of minimal. He can sometimes overwhelm with his chops, both finger style and single note. Not things I associate with Gilmour. Hatchet Face is not exactly Comfortably Numb.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by djg
    well, the keith richards of jazz he aint

Oh dear.

Respect to all involved as better musicians than I can ever hope to be, but no.

I just can't get into Mike Moreno
    I listen and just don't feel it that much, he's a great player, but doesn't touch me really

User Info Menu

I think this has fantastic mood and space...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984
    I'm especially fond of his sideman work, like in Reid Anderson's "The Vastness Of Space" or Bill Mc Henry's "Rest Stop"
    Lol.

I was just thinking : ( not familiar with Monder's work - heard a Video or two possibly an Ibanez Semi) (?)...

But HOW could he be the David Gilmour of Jazz Guitar and also be the contemporary Joe Pass of Jazz Guitar ?

'Well Robert , he has a straight ahead no FX straight into Amp mode and another mode where he explores all kinds of EFX ."

That makes sense - is that it ?

Guess I should just listen but the funny post maybe says it best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Robertkoa
    Lol.

I was just thinking : ( not familiar with Monder's work - heard a Video or two possibly an Ibanez Semi) (?)...

But HOW could he be the David Gilmour of Jazz Guitar and also be the contemporary Joe Pass of Jazz Guitar ?

'Well Robert , he has a straight ahead no FX straight into Amp mode and another mode where he explores all kinds of EFX ."

That makes sense - is that it ?

Guess I should just listen but the funny post maybe says it best...
    No idea what to say, since I never made the Gilmour or the Pass argument, I don't agree with neither of them. I just pointed out the records.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984
    I don't think Bowie chose him, he chose Donny McCaslin (trough Maria Schneider), who then picked the rest of the band. But I might be wrong.

It seems very plausable.