The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 34

User Info Menu

How freaking cool is this amp? It's an EH 185 with a master vol, made by Michiel Helsloot in the Netherlands. I always wanted one but the cost to ship was prohibitive. Anyway, I found one used for a solid price and ordered it. It underwent some minor shipping damage, so I had to take it to the local amp wizard, Chris Barnett, whom I STRONGLY recommend for anyone in the bay area. Anyway, while he had it on the bench, he sent me a text "Do you want me to put a field coil in it? I've got a 40's Rola if you want." I said "Are you f**ing kidding me? Do it!" So he did. The result is just amazing.

Elektra 185 with a vintage 40's field coil-screen-shot-2019-04-19-9-53-57-am-jpgElektra 185 with a vintage 40's field coil-screen-shot-2019-04-19-9-54-17-am-jpg

Here's a clip of an arrangement I'm messing around with of Eric Dolphy's "Serene". For you swing purists, I apologize for desecrating your amp with flatwounds. You're probably also wondering why I got something like this to play Dolphy. And you may be wondering why I'm wearing a DEATH t shirt.

The pickup on this tele is made by the one and only TK Smith.

And a followup to my other question about recording devices. I got a Shure MV88 that I just plug into my iphone so that I can record easily without thinking about it. Makes live more fun so I can focus on just playing and recording occasionally rather than having it be a big ordeal. I think the sound came out pretty good.
    Last edited by omphalopsychos; 04-19-2019 at 01:20 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Sounds great!! It has that old school thick mids thing going on! I like it a lot!

I think Michiel is a member here, so he can chime in, but I know from his Facebook posts that he spent a lot of time looking for the right speaker for his amp and I am sure if these field coils were still being made that would be his choice!

Congratz, you scored! Nice playing too, suits the amp!!

(And the amp suits the knobs on your tele, haha! ;-)

User Info Menu

WoW! That's way cool! Hope for more vids.

User Info Menu

Oh and I looked for Shure SV88..... don’t you mean MV88? (Looking for a good iPhone mic, the iRig Mic Field that I bought is a waist of money....)

But this aside.... great amp!

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    Oh and I looked for Shure SV88..... don’t you mean MV88? (Looking for a good iPhone mic, the iRig Mic Field that I bought is a waist of money....)

But this aside.... great amp!
    Yep, that's what I meant. Will correct my post. Thanks!

User Info Menu

"Do you want me to put a field coil in it? I've got a 40's Rola if you want." I said "Are you f**ing kidding me? Do it!"
    That is great, love it!!

I went to great lengths to preserve the original Field Coil speaker in my EH-125. I had to re-glue and re-center the field-coil, and also repair a damaged voice coil.

Attached Images Attached Images Elektra 185 with a vintage 40's field coil-loose-field-coil-jpg 
    Last edited by icr; 04-21-2019 at 09:44 AM.

User Info Menu

Oh that tone!
    I’m afraid of old amps. Shockophobic?
    Last edited by TedBPhx; 04-19-2019 at 04:25 PM.

User Info Menu

Sounds great (as I mentioned on facebook).
    I'm gonna be playing in Heidelberg 5/31-6/2, so this reminded me to hit the Elektra guys up in case they're close enough to meet up.
    Super nice guys for sure.

Do so and give him my regards! Michiel is the man. I didn't even buy my elektra from him (got it used from a shop in Spokane) but when I told him I had some issues he found time to chat with me for hours over WhatsApp to try to diagnose the issue.

Thanks for the comments guys. With the new recording setup I'll be trying to put up more content. And yes, this amp (and that TK tele) has THE tone. Super happy with this setup.

User Info Menu

Holy cow, that sounds just perfect! Teriffic picking too.

You're a mad genius omphalopsychos. I can't think of a better upgrade - this is the ultimate combination!

I'm so glad the amp found its way into your hands.
    Did you get the certificate of ownership with the amp? Otherwise I'll send you a new one with my official stamp of approval on the FC speaker mod.

Would you be OK with it if I share that video on the Elektra FB page?

User Info Menu

Sounds great.

User Info Menu

That's the amp I want, for the 185 thing. You may have the only one in America.

I can't believe you found a real field coil speaker for it! Wow!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by campusfive
    Sounds great (as I mentioned on facebook).
    I'm gonna be playing in Heidelberg 5/31-6/2, so this reminded me to hit the Elektra guys up in case they're close enough to meet up.
    Super nice guys for sure.
    You're on Jonathan! We're finding a way to meet you there with an amp!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G930F met Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Michiel
    Holy cow, that sounds just perfect! Teriffic picking too.

You're a mad genius omphalopsychos. I can't think of a better upgrade - this is the ultimate combination!

I'm so glad the amp found its way into your hands.
    Did you get the certificate of ownership with the amp? Otherwise I'll send you a new one with my official stamp of approval on the FC speaker mod.

Would you be OK with it if I share that video on the Elektra FB page?
    I did not get a certificate of ownership. The amp is serial no 1803011. Thank you!

And I’m honored that you’d share this little vid. Go for it!

Thanks again for everything! When I saw this am on reverb I knew I was lucky, but didn’t know it would be filled with so much fortuitous goodness.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Michiel
    You're on Jonathan! We're finding a way to meet you there with an amp!

Too cool....

User Info Menu

Holy smoke, Omph, that sounds great! I love the amp tone _and_ I love the Tele. Wow!

User Info Menu

For the novices among us, what is a "field coil"?

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    For the novices among us, what is a "field coil"?
    Field coil loudspeaker - Wikipedia

Elektra 185 with a vintage 40's field coil-f4e48fda-2a5b-4ff9-9f62-90b8ea314686-jpgElektra 185 with a vintage 40's field coil-027030f3-5ce6-4400-80af-ebe5fcd140ca-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    I did not get a certificate of ownership. The amp is serial no 1803011. Thank you!

And I’m honored that you’d share this little vid. Go for it!

Thanks again for everything! When I saw this am on reverb I knew I was lucky, but didn’t know it would be filled with so much fortuitous goodness.
    Thanks much - just posted the vid on the Elektra FB page. Good stuff!

PM me your address and I'll put the certificate in the mail after Easter.

Thank you!! Sent you an email with my home address.

User Info Menu

Demoing a 1930's style amp by playing an Eric Dolphy tune is just about the hippest thing I've seen on this forum.

User Info Menu

Omph, what a lovely sound, and a true jazz tone, to my ears.

Quote Originally Posted by Klatu
    Demoing a 1930's style amp by playing an Eric Dolphy tune is just about the hippest thing I've seen on this forum.
    Lol! You might have dug this morning’s readings.

Elektra 185 with a vintage 40's field coil-32d95bd6-bcdc-466e-9b28-63cf897e188f-jpg

User Info Menu

Crazy great tone from the TK Smith CC neck pup and Elektra 185 with the 40s Rola field coil! All the right bleeps and bloops. Love that tone. Trying to imagine how the great Charlie Christian would sound today with that amp. (You should Kemper Profile it and offer the profile for sale although I doubt seriously if the Kemper PFA could "profile" that organic character.)

You are one lucky dawg, OmPsychos. Would love to hear your Trenier Jazz Special and DeArmond Guitar Mike C through that amp.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Crazy great tone from the TK Smith CC neck pup and Elektra 185 with the 40s Rola field coil! All the right bleeps and bloops. Love that tone. Trying to imagine how the great Charlie Christian would sound today with that amp. (You should Kemper Profile it and offer the profile for sale although I doubt seriously if the Kemper PFA could "profile" that organic character.)

You are one lucky dawg, OmPsychos. Would love to hear your Trenier Jazz Special and DeArmond Guitar Mike C through that amp.
    Sounds amazing, as if you couldn't have predicted. The DeArmond really makes this amp grind, which is wonderful. You can hear it in the double stops. I did some transcribing this afternoon and decided to record something with your suggestion.