Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13
    This may be the wrong place to ask this. If so, feel free to delete it (or move it).
    I want to buy some speakers for this audio stereo I got.
    Recently, I found myself near some speakers that made it clear: I am missing a lot.
    Would anyone care to make a recommendation.
    My budget is flexible but why don't I say $500 USD.
    One of the pairs I heard recently were $6,000. Magnificent sound but out-of-budget.
    Thanks!
    I love this site. I love this site.
    Nice people. All one could ask for.
    Thank you
    I guess my fantasy is that somebody is just crazy about some new speakers that are an amazing value.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Neat Alpha Iota

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coolvinny View Post
    Neat Alpha Iota
    I had a pair of Neat Petites. Great speakers in the British School of PRAT. No, that's not an insult. Drove them with the Naim Nait or the 72/140 with a Regaplanar 3.

These days, I opt for active speakers and the Audioengine A5+ ticks all the right boxes.

A5+ Wireless Speaker System — AudioengineAudioengine
    Great Deals with Great Folks: max52 (Guild-Benedetto Artist Award); prickards (Ribbecke GC Halfling); Cincy2 (Comins Concert)

User Info Menu

I upgraded my speakers to a pair of Klipsch RB-81 about a year ago and couldn't be happier. They sell for about $500 a pair and I saw a pair for $425. Most of the other speakers in this price range have 6.5" speakers. I got these because they had the 8" speaker. I sold audio equipment in the 1970's and always thought a larger speaker was needed. Technology has made improvements and smaller audio and guitar speakers produce good sounds. The 8" speaker in the Klipsch puts out plenty of undistorted bass and they are also very clear in the higher range.

User Info Menu

If you have your own favourite amp and are looking for passives I have always loved and respected anything from Bowers + Wilkins; the B+W 606 is in your budget. Don't pay the suggested retail of $800, of course.

They are a little bright but keep the grilles on and do not toe them in towards your ears and you should be fine.
    Great Deals with Great Folks: max52 (Guild-Benedetto Artist Award); prickards (Ribbecke GC Halfling); Cincy2 (Comins Concert)

User Info Menu

What kind of "audio stereo"?
    How big a room?
    "Bent my ear to hear the tune and closed my eyes to see."

User Info Menu

Don't wish to bust your budget but the Magneplanars are great if you have the room for them. They are thin panel speakers but they require space around thdm to make them perform at their best. The smallest Maggies are about $1400 a pair, Suggested Retail. Check them out anyway. Magnepan

I had a pair of SMGa when I was a student. $495 a pair way back when...

Good question!
    I should have begun by telling that.
    the room is 12’ x 25’.
    The tuner is a Denon-685.
    I do not think this a terrific tuner.
    If my situation is such that I need to upgrade my tuner, just tell me.
    Thanks

User Info Menu

I just recalled these recommended by an audiophile friend of mine: Klipsch Reference Premiere 600M, the Audiophiliac Speaker of the Year - CNET

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarStudent View Post
    Good question!
    I should have begun by telling that.
    the room is 12’ x 25’.
    The tuner is a Denon-685.
    I do not think this a terrific tuner.
    If my situation is such that I need to upgrade my tuner, just tell me.
    Thanks
    The Denon-685 is a receiver, which means it contains both a radio tuner and an integrated amplifier (both pre-amp and power amp). A tuner is what you call a separate component that has the radio tuner but must be connected to a separate amplifier, because it does not contain one itself.

Cnet's reviewer Steve Guttenberg says it "sonically clobbers equivalently priced A/V receivers" here.

Within your budget there are lots of speakers that will "match" the quality of the receiver, meaning neither will show too much of what the other might lack. In other words, there are more expensive speakers that will reveal that the Denon is not the best possible, and the Denon will reveal that there are inexpensive speakers that are not the best possible - so you work with what you have and look for "balance" where neither the Denon nor the speakers are showing any shortcoming with the other.

So what I'm suggesting is that to move up to a significant improvement in sound, you may likely find that both speakers and the Denon ultimately would need to be replaced with more expensive stuff, maybe quite a bit more expensive. Best way to tell for now is to get some speakers within your budget and live with the system for a while. This gives you time to adjust and compare speaker placement within your room space listening to lots of different kinds of music, etc... so if you eventually decide to upgrade, you can make a much more informed decision on future gear, and have some time to save up for it.

Might want to also hang out at places like these to learn more:

AudioKarma

AudioAsylum
    "Bent my ear to hear the tune and closed my eyes to see."

What a wonderful, helpful post. Thank you.
    Now my task is to choose speakers that will “trade-off” well (I.e. good value) with the fine, but bot-stellar Denon 685.
    Your post was very helpful.
    Thank you again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Totem bookshelf speakers are amazing. I have a pair (rainmaker). They can be had in 1000-2000 dollar range. They have incredibly detailed and engaging sounds. They have more expensive floor speakers as well:
    High Fidelity Speakers - Totem

User Info Menu

I've been quite happy with a pair of Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 ($300 pair). I've had them for about 10 years, at the time of purchase they were the darling of the audiophile world's budget categories because of the combination of price/performance. I'm sure there's been many new flavors of the year since then, but I'm still pleased - I do use them with a small sub, but they sound great without it, too.

Ascend Acoustics - Quality loudspeakers Made Affordable Via Direct Sales

If you really want to see how cork-sniffing crazy the audiophile world can get, go to the Stereophile website:

https://www.stereophile.com/

I'm sure all those speakers with five-figure price tags sound great, but..............