The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

My current amp rig is a Quilter 101 Mini Reverb into a Fender Bassbreaker 1x12. I bought it thinking I didn’t want to bother with the downsides of a tube amp. But every time I visit a shop and plug into a Princeton or a Deluxe, I feel like I’m missing something at home.

I could just take a Princeton or a Deluxe home with me (after emerging from the 65 vs 68 rabbit hole), but it seems like I ought to be able to put my Fender cab to better use. Anyone able to recommend a small to medium-size tube head that can get the tone of a Princeton or Deluxe?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

David Allen's Accomplice is more or less the deluxe reverb with some extra tricks. Available as a head. Best I know of is the Pure 64 Mean Streets Classic, in the DR class of watts/basic sound, but far more flexible. (I have one for sale locally BTW ...)

I know Headstrong and Vintage Sound make a Princeton class amp, not sure on the head. David Allen's Sweet Spot would be a good choice too, and that does come in head form. Same goes for David Gries' Gries 12.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Jim Frenzel -- best bang-for-the-buck on a hand-wired amp!

User Info Menu

i would not recommend the allen. Allen makes "improvements" to his heads which get away from the classic fender sounds. I have a fargen blackbird and morgan RCA35R which both get that fender princeton/deluxe tone and used are reasonable

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JCM
    Anyone able to recommend a small to medium-size tube head that can get the tone of a Princeton or Deluxe?
    If you're lucky, maybe you can find one of these used.

User Info Menu

What a great looking head! It seems Mesa Boogie comes out with something new and exciting each year or so.

I've read the reviews on this latest Mesa creation, and most are very positive.

User Info Menu

Headstrong amps makes a Princeton clone, head version also available. Probably a bit expensive...I have the combo version since ~2009 and it never failed me.

User Info Menu

Ibanez TSA15H. 15watts of 6v6 tube goodness.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    Ibanez TSA15H. 15watts of 6v6 tube goodness.
    These are only $300. So... are these actually decent? Kinduva deal.

User Info Menu

I liked the tones of my 18 watt Fender Champ II so much, I had it converted to a head. Sounds awesome through a 1x12 cab!!

User Info Menu

Here's my current favorite tube head! I"m playing it through a Yamaha G100-210 cabinet. Dual 6L6 tubes (original 1960's Silvertone tubes) and no negative feedback loop. Even clean this thing tracks in some dirt on the carpet.

Tube head recommendation-silvertone-1484-head-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410
    These are only $300. So... are these actually decent? Kinduva deal.
    I have the 5-watt combo (TV legs) version. They are indeed indecently decent. I use the TS side rarely, mostly for laughs, but the clean side is de-liciously, wickedly, Luxe. The all-tube signal chain and built-in spring reverb perform their duties well at mic-friendly volumes with plenty of knob left for lease-busting, should it come to that. Happy camper here.
    Last edited by citizenk74; 04-09-2019 at 01:12 PM. Reason: addition