Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 50 of 72

User Info Menu

Hi Guys,
    As promised, Here is a video with the Wineburst.
    I left a little air in the arrangement so you can really hear the guitar.
    What A Wonderful World, is my wifes favorite song. I love it too.
    I hope you like the video.

Joe D

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Beautiful playing Joe! That axe sounds like it's in the right hands!
    Doug Martin
    www.dougmartinguitar.com

"Live life and play music like it's your last day on earth. One day you'll be right" - Russel Malone

User Info Menu

damn Joe

It sounds really good

Hah Joe
    I went back and watched it on my iPad to see it again
    I read your lips at the very end

youre welcome

User Info Menu

Fantastic playing, as usual, Joe. Wow!

The string to string tones are very even. Low notes do not overpower the mids or high notes in your performance. All strings have equality..almost symphonic sounding.

Is that more due to the amplification, recording or room, or is that particular guitar that balanced tonally?

User Info Menu

hey joe D...so good to see you back with a friday night vid...wonderful, as always...

lookin good bro!

& big ups to big mike!!...in chi-town..hah

cheers

User Info Menu

Thanks for the clip, Joe! That guitar has just a wonderful low voice and still sparkles at the high end. And your playing is always an inspiration!

User Info Menu

Beautiful playing, sounding, & looking (the guitar Ha Ha)!

User Info Menu

I'd like to echo guitfiddler's comments. Great playing through a very balanced instrument. Nice.

User Info Menu

Sorry about that. My phone auto-generated "I don't like to" completely changing my meaning.

User Info Menu

Hi Joe,

That's a beautiful Heritage Golden Eagle and it sounds just as good as it looks!

And your chord melody solo of What A Wonderful World was just as pretty as the guitar you were playing it on.

If that's not a winning combination I'm not sure what is!

Regards,
    Steven Herron
    Learn To Play Jazz Guitar Chord Melody Solos

User Info Menu

Worth the wait, very nice Joe.

User Info Menu

Good stuff JD and inspiring!

You know for your Johnny Smith style chord melody that Heritage sounds......just right. Just sayin'

User Info Menu

Very nice playing Joe. No one makes a Heritage guitar sing like you. The guitar sounds very balanced. Thanks as always for sharing your talent and providing these videos.

User Info Menu

Nothing wrong with that, is there? Nothing at all.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitpicker View Post
    Beautiful playing Joe! That axe sounds like it's in the right hands!
    Dougie, that means a lot coming from one of the hottest and most respected young Jazz guitarists in the world right now. I appreciate it very much.

Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeinNJ View Post
    damn Joe
    It sounds really good
    Hah Joe
    I went back and watched it on my iPad to see it again
    I read your lips at the very end
    youre welcome
    It does sound nice, right?
    of course, I was saying thanks for letting me play with this thing for a while.
    It was nice talkin for a while last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler View Post
    Fantastic playing, as usual, Joe. Wow!
    The string to string tones are very even. Low notes do not overpower the mids or high notes in your performance. All strings have equality..almost symphonic sounding.
    Is that more due to the amplification, recording or room, or is that particular guitar that balanced tonally?
    Great assessment. Yes, this guitar is VERY balanced across the whole neck. No boominess, and no pitchy issues. Perfect intonation up to the 17th fret, and then it goes sharp a little.
    I record everything directly into the computer, using a Zoom G5n. I’ve been liking the Bassman simulation. Into HD Reverb then directly into my SurfacePro 3, recorded with the Zoom drivers and YouCam6.
    JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic View Post
    hey joe D...so good to see you back with a friday night vid...wonderful, as always...
    lookin good bro!
    & big ups to big mike!!...in chi-town..hah
    cheers
    Thank you Neatomic. This a fun song to play. Anything is exciting on a new guitar, but this one is special. This I thought was my wife’s favorite song and last night she reminded that me it’s number 2, behind Bohemian Rhapsody (and I promptly told her, Fogetaboutit..)

Quote Originally Posted by Flat View Post
    Thanks for the clip, Joe! That guitar has just a wonderful low voice and still sparkles at the high end. And your playing is always an inspiration!
    Flat, you are right buddy. And its more of an inspiration to play for you guys, trust me.

Quote Originally Posted by helios View Post
    Beautiful playing, sounding, & looking (the guitar Ha Ha)!
    helios, I agree. The guitar looks and sounds great. I know, me, not so much...

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone View Post
    I'd like to echo guitfiddler's comments. Great playing through a very balanced instrument. Nice.
    GT, Thank you sir. JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Herron View Post
    Hi Joe,
    That's a beautiful Heritage Golden Eagle and it sounds just as good as it looks!
    And your chord melody solo of What A Wonderful World was just as pretty as the guitar you were playing it on.
    If that's not a winning combination I'm not sure what is!
    Regards,
    Steven Herron
    Learn To Play Jazz Guitar Chord Melody Solos
    Hey Steven, Thank you very much. And once again, thank for providing such a great service to the guitar community. JD

Quote Originally Posted by silverfoxx View Post
    Worth the wait, very nice Joe.
    007, thank you buddy. You are a good friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger View Post
    Good stuff JD and inspiring!
    You know for your Johnny Smith style chord melody that Heritage sounds......just right. Just sayin'
    SS, I hear exactly what you are saying. Well said, to the exact point. You are a pro and a good friend too. One of the hottest “approaching middle age” Jazz guitarists in the world and you’ve done it all. Shared the stage with the greats bro. I have huge respect for you buddy. Thanks for always being there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by QAman View Post
    Very nice playing Joe. No one makes a Heritage guitar sing like you. The guitar sounds very balanced. Thanks as always for sharing your talent and providing these videos.
    Steve! How’s it going there bud? Yeah, it would be nice if the new owners of Heritage reached out and said, hey, thanks for helpin us out. But no.. I would expect them to actually say, “please stop. And if you are gonna play one of our beautiful guitars, stop saying you still long for an L5 and oh yeah, will you put a hat in please? Maybe a George Clooney mask wouldn’t hurt either..” Thank you Stevie. We have some catchin up to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop View Post
    Nothing wrong with that, is there? Nothing at all.
    Robster, Thank you, Methuselah of all stringed instruments. I’m just trying to keep pace with you bro, that’s all.. thanks buddy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405 View Post
    Steve! How’s it going there bud? Yeah, it would be nice if the new owners of Heritage reached out and said, hey, thanks for helpin us out. But no.. I would expect them to actually say, “please stop. And if you are gonna play one of our beautiful guitars, stop saying you still long for an L5 and oh yeah, will you put a hat in please? Maybe a George Clooney mask wouldn’t hurt either..” Thank you Stevie. We have some catchin up to do.
    It seems to me that Heritage is moving away from serving the archtop and jazz community. I recently subscribed to a Heritage guitar forum on Facebook in order to see what's going on with the company these days, and while there were plenty of lovely 535s and Les Paul style guitars, I saw zero jazz boxes. It's possible that the members of the group were a self selecting bunch of rockers, but it was disconcerting not to see even a random 575 thrown into the mix.

User Info Menu

Klatu,

Yeah. It's to be expected. My son is a pro. He is 15 years into a music career. He plays pretty much everything. Still, he had no interest in archtop guitars.

The demographic that matters is a Les Paul/Strat bunch. Heritage's new owners have this in mind.

User Info Menu

Joe that was simply splendid. You are doing the whole community of jazz a great service keeping the flame of these great solo guitar performances alive and showing how ever-fresh they are. You deliver these from the heart, as though it has literally passed through your soul from heaven.

I'm grateful you have an instrument that does justice to your love for our heroes and their music, and music that is inspired by them.
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

User Info Menu

Thank you Lawson.
    that was a beautiful post, it really was.
    My wife was touched by this one, because it’s one of her favorite songs. I am ashamed I didn’t do something on that song sooner.
    I lointed (Louis Armstrong reference, ar, ar), That Louis only made $250 on this song because he wanted to make sure the orchestra was paid fairly. They started recording this song at 12am and didn’t get it done until 7am because the president of the record company was being a pain in the ass and every time they got a good take, a train passed next to the recording studio and ruined the take.

Thanks again Lawson.
    JD

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone View Post
    Joe that was simply splendid. You are doing the whole community of jazz a great service keeping the flame of these great solo guitar performances alive and showing how ever-fresh they are. You deliver these from the heart, as though it has literally passed through your soul from heaven.

I'm grateful you have an instrument that does justice to your love for our heroes and their music, and music that is inspired by them.

User Info Menu

I think I've watched the clip maybe 10 times. Through my hearing aids (via bluetooth) it sounds so great.
    I shared the clip with my upstairs neighbor that took me to FedEx to ship it, she really likes your playing...

Very nice job Joe, I'm impressed...

Big

ps Fran Amato says to tell you hello and hopes you're doing good. She really like your clip too

User Info Menu

Aww, Thanks Mikey.
    I’ve liked Fran since the day I 1st met her. She was cleaning the garage. A very pretty lady with a lot of spunk.
    The guitar sounds really nice. The sustain is great on it. I lowered the pickup about 1/8” before I recorded. It made a really nice difference in the sound.
    I was pleased with the way the guitar sounded too.

User Info Menu

Beautiful, just beautiful, Joe. Keep up the good work!
    Best regards, k

User Info Menu

Beautiful playing. Beautiful guitar. And a beautiful tune, one of my favs. I'll be looking for some tabs or sheet music for that one.

But the wrong time for me to watch a Golden Eagle in action as I am currently fighting that GAS.

Seriously, thanks for sharing that. Glad to see one of Patrick's axes ( I assume)in good hands.

User Info Menu

Hi Joe, You're looking very fit! As is your playing. Clooney has nothing on you. Your new GE looks ( and sounds ) very similar to your old HJS. Thanks for the video and the story about Mr. Armstrong. Please keep them coming, AG

User Info Menu

Clooney has nothing on him except big fame, good looks, and tons of money. Other than that I love that song too. Great job bro.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74 View Post
    Beautiful, just beautiful, Joe. Keep up the good work!
    C74,
    thanks buddy. I was waiting for you..

Quote Originally Posted by 73Fender View Post
    Beautiful playing. Beautiful guitar. And a beautiful tune, one of my favs. I'll be looking for some tabs or sheet music for that one.
    But the wrong time for me to watch a Golden Eagle in action as I am currently fighting that GAS.
    Seriously, thanks for sharing that. Glad to see one of Patrick's axes ( I assume)in good hands.
    Thank you very much.
    Patrick had so many guitars and so little time. But these guitars are made to be played for a full lifetime. The best thing to do is pass them along so they can do what they were intended to do. Make beautiful music. Patrick dug Sound. His ear tended to fit the way Heritage made guitars back then, thin tops. The guitars took on a flat top quality that made them so radically different than their Gibson predecessors. I’ve played enough of them to know. They are great guitars seasoned to a very unique sound.
    Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Archtop Guy View Post
    Hi Joe, You're looking very fit! As is your playing. Clooney has nothing on you. Your new GE looks ( and sounds ) very similar to your old HJS. Thanks for the video and the story about Mr. Armstrong. Please keep them coming, AG
    AG!! My man.
    How are you buddy? You are soo right, as always. The JS and this guitar have a lot in common. Aside from the dimensions, they are both X braced. The only real difference is your guitar has a more roomy fret board. Not just because of the 1-3/4 scale. Also because the Wineburst has an oddly spaced nut. They put the same beautiful bindings on this fretboard. The frets overlap the binding out to the edge as they should. But the strings only go out to the edge of the ebony. Making the string spacing very narrow. I will be sure to get that addressed.
    Heritage did some things that I found to be peculiar, but what do I know. They built a lot of custom order guitars. This one was no exception. I will convert it back to a guitar for the every man..
    Great to touch base with you AG. Thanks buddy.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Hey brother. I hope you are doing well.
    I am sitting a deck in New Jersey, listening to trucks go by. He is on his veranda in Lake Como (yeah the real one, in Northern Italy) listening grapes grow. That’s why he is so much better looking. He could probably play the guitar better too!
    L,J

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k View Post
    Clooney has nothing on him except big fame, good looks, and tons of money. Other than that I love that song too. Great job bro.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Klatu View Post
    It seems to me that Heritage is moving away from serving the archtop and jazz community. I recently subscribed to a Heritage guitar forum on Facebook in order to see what's going on with the company these days, and while there were plenty of lovely 535s and Les Paul style guitars, I saw zero jazz boxes. It's possible that the members of the group were a self selecting bunch of rockers, but it was disconcerting not to see even a random 575 thrown into the mix.
    Sadly both Gibson and Heritage show little interest in archtop guitars these days. The archtop guitar made Gibson famous long before the Les Paul did.

User Info Menu

Clooney hates Trump. I love Donald Trump and Joe DeNisco. 2 real men. Clooney is a candy-a--.

User Info Menu

Archtop guitars are out of style these days, along with Jazz, Harley-Davidson motorcycles and masculinity. Styles change and what was old becomes new again. Good music is eternal, Great guitars will be appreciated as long as humanity exists and Harleys will be ridden so long as fuel and roads exist. And make no mistake about it, women will always prefer a manly man. Natural law trumps modern fashion. Always has and always will.

I have no plans on changing. Gibson, Heritage and Harley-Davidson will need to market their products to the marketplace. I will be playing my Gibson and Heritage archtops and riding my Harley-Davidson motorcycles to the end. And I will always open doors for the ladies (and compliment those who catch my eye).

User Info Menu

Gosh Joe tbat was hugely great playing and great sound. You really have to figure a way to put all your stuff and a CD and at least do something with it for the market. I realize that it is really small but this is too go to just get lost the on the internet. The Heritage is a beauty for sure the sound top notch!
    specializing in repair and setup, does your guitar play like it should?

User Info Menu

Nice sound and nice playing!
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

Aww.. thank you bro.
    Thats the 1st and last time my name and Mr Trumps name ends up in the same Paragraph!
    Thank you bro.
    JD
    Clooney hates Trump. I love Donald Trump and Joe DeNisco. 2 real men. Clooney is a candy-a--.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark View Post
    Gosh Joe tbat was hugely great playing and great sound. You really have to figure a way to put all your stuff and a CD and at least do something with it for the market. I realize that it is really small but this is too go to just get lost the on the internet. The Heritage is a beauty for sure the sound top notch!
    Deacon,
    Thank you buddy. I hope you are doing good. As good as can be expected anyway.
    Thank you for posting that.
    I wish I was good enough to make a CD that could turn a profit. I’d be in another hole I couldn’t get out of after all the licensing fees. After I give away all the CD’s anybody would want, the rest would end as Christmas decorations, or little frisbees for small dogs..
    But I means a lot to me that you guys like the stuff I do. That’s all I could ever want.
    Thank you buddy and stay strong.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger View Post
    Archtop guitars are out of style these days, along with Jazz, Harley-Davidson motorcycles and masculinity. Styles change and what was old becomes new again. Good music is eternal, Great guitars will be appreciated as long as humanity exists and Harleys will be ridden so long as fuel and roads exist. And make no mistake about it, women will always prefer a manly man. Natural law trumps modern fashion. Always has and always will.

I have no plans on changing. Gibson, Heritage and Harley-Davidson will need to market their products to the marketplace. I will be playing my Gibson and Heritage archtops and riding my Harley-Davidson motorcycles to the end. And I will always open doors for the ladies (and compliment those who catch my eye).
    I think what we like is the coolest shit on the planet. I don’t know if it will ever make a comeback because so few youngsters are taking the time to learn how to play. Now a days, grammar school is a lot harder than it was for us, I assure you. But one thing is for certain, I am so fortunate to be able to enjoy these guitars that were made during a time when life was different.
    JD

User Info Menu

Joey, buddy, simply splendid. I could recognise your playing among thousand guitarists. And you know why? Because you have your own style, which is what so many are looking for and so few will ever find. Thanks for sharing these great tunes and keep up the good work.
    Archtop YT Channel: www.youtube.com/+FredArchtop

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone View Post
    My son is a pro. He is 15 years into a music career. He plays pretty much everything. Still, he had no interest in archtop guitars.

The demographic that matters is a Les Paul/Strat bunch. Heritage's new owners have this in mind.
    Your observation is one that many have been noticing over the past decade or so, and it seems to be a double edged sword.

If young musicians become less interested in old archtops, the sounds that we value so much in older recordings will become more and more rare on new recordings, and there will be less demand for the guitars we hold dear.

I sometimes hear stories of people back in the 80s buying L7s and Epiphone Broadways for a song because there wasn't any interest in them at the time. I wouldn't necessarily mourn the collapse of the archtop market because I'm a frequent buyer and reluctant seller, so low prices work in my favor.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Archtop View Post
    Joey, buddy, simply splendid. I could recognise your playing among thousand guitarists. And you know why? Because you have your own style, which is what so many are looking for and so few will ever find. Thanks for sharing these great tunes and keep up the good work.
    Freddy! Yeah, I'll be the only guitar player out of the 1,000 that would put you to sleep!
    Seriously, Your nice words mean a lot to me.
    You are a really fine Guitarist. You would absolutely sound great on this guitar.
    I appreciate it big time.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

In short, just incredible. Great arrangement. You've given me many new ideas. You can't beat those Heritage guitars.

User Info Menu

Hi Guys,
    As promised, Here is a video with the Wineburst.
    I left a little air in the arrangement so you can really hear the guitar.
    What A Wonderful World, is my wifes favorite song. I love it too.
    I hope you like the video.

Joe D

Joe
    Is that your arrangement or one by one of your/our heroes?
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

User Info Menu

HFC,
    Thanks Buddy. You and Patrick were long long time buds.
    I believe you even commented on this guitar, long ago.
    Im glad I could help give you a little inspiration. You are always a gentleman to everyone here.
    JD
    Quote Originally Posted by hot ford coupe View Post
    In short, just incredible. Great arrangement. You've given me many new ideas. You can't beat those Heritage guitars.
    Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone View Post
    Joe
    Is that your arrangement or one by one of your/our heroes?
    Lawson,
    Keep this in mind, long ago I was in an Italian Pop Music band writing songs for an upcoming San Remo festival. One day “I thought” I just wrote a song. I started playing it and our bass player, Vito joined right along.. I was thinking, how the hell does he know this song? So we stopped and I said wow, you caught right on. He said yeah, I love Crazy Train by Ozzie Osborne... I swore I wrote that. My point is, we sometimes pickup things that we hear and embellish them without even knowing..
    Most of that arrangement is mine. I stole a short chord run in the end from Kenny Burrell.
    I chose the Key of D, because I wanted to show off the sound of the drop D. So in essence, I stole a little bit from Johnny too.
    But the whole time I am playing it, I am hearing Pops singing it. And the very end I emulate his famous ending to the song.
    Thanks Lawson. Joe D
    Last edited by Max405; 04-10-2019 at 11:00 PM.

User Info Menu

HFC,
    Thanks Buddy. You and Patrick were long long time buds.
    I believe you even commented on this guitar, long ago.
    Im glad I could help give you a little inspiration. You are always a gentleman to everyone here.
    JD

Lawson,
    Keep this in mind, long ago I was in an Italian Pop Music writing songs for an upcoming San Remo festival. One day “I thought” I just wrote. I started playing it and our bass player, Vito joined right along.. I was thinking, how the hell does he know this song? So we stopped and I said wow, you caught right on. He said yeah, I love Crazy Train by Ozzie Osborne... I swore I wrote that. My point is, we sometimes pickup things that we hear and embellish them without even knowing..
    Most of that arrangement is mine. I stole a short chord run in the end from Kenny Burrell.
    I chose the Key of D, because I wanted to show off the sound of the drop D. So in essence, I stole a little bit from Johnny too.
    But the whole time I am playing it, I am hearing Pops singing it. And the very end I emulate his famous ending to the song.
    Thanks Lawson. Joe D
    Really nice, and doubly so! You've clearly absorbed a lot of the idiom of the masters.
    - Lawson

User Info Menu

Man, how'd I miss this?

Playing that guitar like it was meant to be played. Beautiful.
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

"Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

--The Ghost of Duke Ellington

User Info Menu

Thank you Mr B. I find that there are so many fine guitars out there that go unplayed. This one was no exception. I think I blew through a set of TI's on it already. They are getting kind of thumpy. I had forgotten how nice it is to have a tone knob on a guitar.
    I played the guitar a lot last night. I am happy to say that I am not having a problem with the 25.5" scale on the guitar. Like anything else, we humans tend to adjust well. I have probably put way too much stock in scale length over the years. There isn't a thing that I cant play on it. I think once I get the nut replaced, its going to be perfect. And that didn't take all that long.

Thanks again for everyone who posted nice things about this experience. And its been a great experience, for sure.

Joe D

User Info Menu

Nothing warms my heart more than to hear you are so happy with the guitar. You're a monster player man I'm glad the Wineburst is growing on you...

?Big

Thank you Mr B. I find that there are so many fine guitars out there that go unplayed. This one was no exception. I think I blew through a set of TI's on it already. They are getting kind of thumpy. I had forgotten how nice it is to have a tone knob on a guitar.
    I played the guitar a lot last night. I am happy to say that I am not having a problem with the 25.5" scale on the guitar. Like anything else, we humans tend to adjust well. I have probably put way too much stock in scale length over the years. There isn't a thing that I cant play on it. I think once I get the nut replaced, its going to be perfect. And that didn't take all that long.

Thanks again for everyone who posted nice things about this experience. And its been a great experience, for sure.

Joe D

User Info Menu

If you are replacing the nut because of narrow slotting you will need to do the bridge too. Our man Mr.Cushman for that.

User Info Menu

Hey bro, as you move up the neck, the strings widen out perfectly. The bridge and bridge base on this guitar are actually cut right and well fitted. Its the nut that makes zero sense.
    JD

If you are replacing the nut because of narrow slotting you will need to do the bridge too. Our man Mr.Cushman for that.