The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 35

User Info Menu

I had a ton of great feedback when I posted about an ES-165, but it doesn't look like I'm going to get that guitar. I'm thinking of just biting the bullet and getting an ES-175. It looks like there are a lot on Reverb and eBay in the $2,000 to $2,500 range.

I did see a Steve Howe Model for sale for $2,500, which is in the same range as a lot of others. Does anyone have an opinion for or against this model?

Thanks for any feedback you would like to provide.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'm sure the current owner will test you if you are able to play Close To The Edge album from beginning to end. So be prepare for it.

Quote Originally Posted by takauya
    I'm sure the current owner will test you if you are able to play Close To The Edge album from beginning to end. So be prepare for it.
    That might be a problem.

User Info Menu

I've only played 1 ES-175 Steve Howe model and it belonged to one of my students.

I thought it was an excellent guitar. It was easy to play and had a wonderful sound to it amplified.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Herron
    I've only played 1 ES-175 Steve Howe model and it belonged to one of my students.

I thought it was an excellent guitar. It was easy to play and had a wonderful sound to it amplified.
    Thanks! An internet search didn't come up with very much on these. It didn't sound like there was anything really "out there" about the model. Not like an ES-175 Charlie Christian anyway.

User Info Menu

I can't find out if there is anything about this guitar that would actually make it play or sound different. Okay, different knobs? What's really the draw on this?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I can't find out if there is anything about this guitar that would actually make it play or sound different. Okay, different knobs? What's really the draw on this?
    He was a very popular figure that played a 175. They made him a signature model. Modeled after a 64. I doubt there is much difference aside from hardware at all. Marketing to a different segment for that model. Wonder if it increased sales....

Quote Originally Posted by skiboyny
    He was a very popular figure that played a 175. They made him a signature model. Modeled after a 64. I doubt there is much difference aside from hardware at all. Marketing to a different segment for that model. Wonder if it increased sales....
    From the little I read, it seems it was priced too high and sales were not good. I wouldn't pay extra for it, but it is comparably priced with other ES-175s and just wanted to know had anything good or bad to say about it.

User Info Menu

Thing about a 175 or any Gibson for that matter is they all have the "signature" sound. A 175 will sound like 175 but they are all a little bit different. (Darker brighter more sustain more acoustic etc) Some are exceptional, and that of course is defined by the user. To me that's part of the "Gibson" appeal.Today we usually don't have the option of playing a bunch all at the same time. It's a roll of the dice but given good physical aspects (neck function action etc.) I would dare say few would be way off the mark.
    Quote Originally Posted by hogrider16
    From the little I read, it seems it was priced too high and sales were not good. I wouldn't pay extra for it, but it is comparably priced with other ES-175s and just wanted to know had anything good or bad to say about it.

Quote Originally Posted by skiboyny
    Thing about a 175 or any Gibson for that matter is they all have the "signature" sound. A 175 will sound like 175 but they are all a little bit different. (Darker brighter more sustain more acoustic etc) Some are exceptional, and that of course is defined by the user. To me that's part of the "Gibson" appeal.Today we usually don't have the option of playing a bunch all at the same time. It's a roll of the dice but given good physical aspects (neck function action etc.) I would dare say few would be way off the mark.
    Thanks. Hard to believe, but I haven't been able to find one in my area to try.

User Info Menu

Doesn't seem that anything is too outrageous about it, but I'd have to see if I wanted to keep that selector switch. I wouldn't pay more for it that for a regular 175, though.

Gibson ES-175 Steve Howe Signature Archtop, 2002 | www.12fret.com

User Info Menu

Not hard to believe at all. 20 years ago I have a local music store that I could walk in and play probably a dozen 175s and multiples of most Gibson archtops all new. Today the store is still there but lucky one or two and those would be used. It's an internet world now, you ask your questions get your photos possibly arrange a trial period and roll the dice.

User Info Menu

Bought my 175 online a year and a half ago without ever playing one. No regrets.

User Info Menu

Gibson ES-175 Steve Howe Model Opinions?-steve-howe-es175-jpg

User Info Menu

If it walks and quaks like a 175, it's a 175. Steve Howe was playing a std 175 after all, wasn't he? The signature model has a zigzag tailpiece, yellowish bindings and different tuners, The first two add value and give a vintagey look IMHO, the tuners don't look right. In a side-by-side comparison a dozen years ago I preferred this to std, but could not justify the price premium. Functionally and tone-wise, there should be no difference. The variations remain within a very narrow envelope comparing to all the tricks to reinvigorate the Strat or LP franchise. If the price is right, go grab it!

User Info Menu

FWIW I have four ES-175’s and my Howe is my favorite. At the time I bought it, it was the closest you could get to vintage spec. Fantastic guitar.

User Info Menu

FWIW, Howe tours with the Gibson signature model, not his original 1964 ES-175. I got to check one out at Willie's Guitars in Saint Paul and it seemed like a nice mid-60s vintage style ES-175. The pick up selector on the original guitar was made from one of the old tuning keys when Howe swapped out the tuners- he wanted a switch that was a little bigger and easier to grab on the fly, apparently. I would not say that it was worth a premium over other ES-175s but the one I saw was a very nice instrument.

Steve Howe is one of the very few aging rock stars who doesn't appear to have put on a pound since his heyday. He looks like he could go out and run a marathon or something. Maybe there is something to this vegan diet thing that he does? On the other hand, it doesn't seem to have helped his teeth any. Don't they have dentists in England? Or is this one of those American-centric observations? We seem to put a lot of emphasis on an even pearly white smile.

In any event, the Gibson ES 175 is one of the two iconic jazz guitars, the other being the Gibson L5. if you want to play jazz, you just can't go wrong with one.

User Info Menu

I had one. The big plus is the hand fitted L5 bridge base instead of the cheap 175 base that is not fitted to the top and has the big air gap. A hand fitted base makes a difference.

User Info Menu

I believe the tops are thicker than the plates used for the vos series, but I’d be interested, if I didn’t already have one (vos). I would swap out that selector knob, though. Probably mount one of my old wisdom teeth on there, instead. More personal.

User Info Menu

They are nice guitars. Essentially a modern (thick plated) ES-175 with a zig-zag TP, an L-5 Bridge (in Ebony) with Grover tuners and a weird selector switch. I would not pay a premium for one over a regular ES-175 from the same year. The Grovers add sustain and the Ebony, full contact bridge add brightness.

Like all modern 175's they come from the factory with 10's. IMO, they sound better for jazz with heavier strings and some tweaks are involved to get them playing their best.

Thanks for all of the great feedback. I appreciate everyone taking the time to post!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    FWIW, Howe tours with the Gibson signature model, not his original 1964 ES-175. I got to check one out at Willie's Guitars in Saint Paul and it seemed like a nice mid-60s vintage style ES-175. The pick up selector on the original guitar was made from one of the old tuning keys when Howe swapped out the tuners- he wanted a switch that was a little bigger and easier to grab on the fly, apparently. I would not say that it was worth a premium over other ES-175s but the one I saw was a very nice instrument.

Steve Howe is one of the very few aging rock stars who doesn't appear to have put on a pound since his heyday. He looks like he could go out and run a marathon or something. Maybe there is something to this vegan diet thing that he does? On the other hand, it doesn't seem to have helped his teeth any. Don't they have dentists in England? Or is this one of those American-centric observations? We seem to put a lot of emphasis on an even pearly white smile.

In any event, the Gibson ES 175 is one of the two iconic jazz guitars, the other being the Gibson L5. if you want to play jazz, you just can't go wrong with one.
    And I think he recorded an early album (Fragile?) playing an ES-5.

Thanks for everyone's input. I made an offer on the ES-175 Steve Howe model that was on eBay and it was accepted so it should be on its way soon.

User Info Menu

Seriously, I’m glad he’s still out there playing at a high level at age 72. He was my favorite guitar player in my teen years, until I discovered Joe Pass (also a 175er!) and Robert Fripp (LP man). I WORE OUT the first half dozen or so Yes albums as well as his first couple of solo albums. When I started taking “serious” guitar lessons in college, Mood for a Day was one of the first songs I learned. Still a huge crowd pleaser at the guitar stores and with the chicks.

And...he and Pat Metheny are the reason I bought a 175 in 1981 or so...wanted to straddle the worlds of prog and jazz. That didn’t really work out so well, and I no longer have the 175, but it was and remains my model of what a guitar should be.

Gibson ES-175 Steve Howe Model Opinions?-c1a7edf9-0062-4c76-a1d8-a93457f7ef81-jpeg

Thanks for everyone's input. I made an offer on the ES-175 Steve Howe model that was on eBay and it was accepted so it should be on its way soon.
    Enjoy and send pics!
    Last edited by Doctor Jeff; 04-05-2019 at 06:34 PM.

User Info Menu

I had a ton of great feedback when I posted about an ES-165, but it doesn't look like I'm going to get that guitar. I'm thinking of just biting the bullet and getting an ES-175. It looks like there are a lot on Reverb and eBay in the $2,000 to $2,500 range.

I did see a Steve Howe Model for sale for $2,500, which is in the same range as a lot of others. Does anyone have an opinion for or against this model?

Thanks for any feedback you would like to provide.
    I have a 2008 model. Loved from the second I put my hands on it. I didn't know it was a SH version until after I bought it. I think only differences between it and regular 175s are the tuners and bridge.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk