The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 30

User Info Menu

Any experience-based recommendations for a gig bag for a Gibson Johnny Smith?

I’m aware of the Cronkhite GJS option, but have not had one in hand, and likewise Probag for possible custom order. A Gator GL Series Acoustic Jumbo works for my L-5 CES, but the additional GJS depth (despite the slimmer body) due to the volume knob on the pickguard appears to make the fit potentially problematically tight.

Thanks!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have used a Probag for many years.
    It was made to accomidate my Super 400 and GJS
    Works well for me.

cheers

Mike

User Info Menu

Thanks, Mike: that's particularly interesting to me because I contacted Probag a few months ago with exactly that possibility in mind (a Super 400 bag that could also accommodate my GJS), but I did not receive any reply from them. If you could by PM or in this thread detail any special instructions you conveyed to them, it would be much appreciated.

User Info Menu

Was back in 2011 when I ordered mine

Contact was
    JohnnyChavez [mailto: probagg@yahoo.com]

He asked for overall measurements of the guitars and I provided the following

The super 400 is
    Overall length 45 inches
    Width at the widest point 18.25 inches
    Width at upper section of body 13.125 inches
    Body length 22.3 inches
    Depth at Bridge 5.25 inches
    Headstock width (including tuners) 4.6 inches

JohnnySmith
    Overall length 43 inches
    Width at the widest point 17 inches
    Width at upper section of body 12,125 inches
    Body length 21 inches
    Depthat Bridge 5.25 inches
    Headstock width (including tuners) 4.6 inches
    Bag has worked well over the years only issues so far (in eight years )
    Had to add a new leather padding internally over the tuners where the cut end of the strings had created some holes where the bag touched them and last week had to resew part of the main zipper that had become detached (both minor wear problems).

Service was excellent and shipped in great condition all the way to Australia.

All the best

Mike

User Info Menu

This is very helpful, Mike: thank you. I wonder if the extra width of the bag (to accommodate the Super 400) helps make up for the height (depth) of the GJS pickguard assembly so that there is no undue pressure on the guard (and top) via the protruding knob when closing the bag. That would be in addition to the fact that the Gator GL Series Acoustic Jumbo (problematic for the GJS, but not for the L-5 CES) is a rigid polyfoam structure overall more compact in its dimensions than your Probag.

User Info Menu

I've had both Cronkhite's and Probagg; both work well, although the Cronkhite is in another league altogether.

User Info Menu

Is that the new Cronkhite for the GJS that you have had?

User Info Menu

I've had two of Glenn's bags. I spoke with him when he was selling/transitioning to the new company, and he was pretty confident these guys know what they're doing, and they have all (most?) of his patterns.
    Last edited by marcwhy; 03-30-2019 at 11:40 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Geechnyc
    Any experience-based recommendations for a gig bag for a Gibson Johnny Smith?

I’m aware of the Cronkhite GJS option, but have not had one in hand, and likewise Probag for possible custom order. A Gator GL Series Acoustic Jumbo works for my L-5 CES, but the additional GJS depth (despite the slimmer body) due to the volume knob on the pickguard appears to make the fit potentially problematically tight.

Thanks!
    A guy I know uses a Reunion Blues Continental for his Johnny Smith. They're great cases (I have for my semi-hollow). Very sturdy, and comfortable to carry, but heavy.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    A guy I know uses a Reunion Blues Continental for his Johnny Smith. They're great cases (I have for my semi-hollow). Very sturdy, and comfortable to carry, but heavy.

John
    thanks: do you know which model? I’m only finding RB specs for a 17” instrument that appear to feature insufficient interior length (42”) for a GJS.
    Last edited by Geechnyc; 03-30-2019 at 01:48 PM.

User Info Menu

thanks: do you know which model? I’m only finding RB specs for a 17” instrument that appear to feature insufficient interior length (42”) for a GJS.
    Sorry, but no, I don't know the model. I can try to find out, but it might take a while.

John

User Info Menu

Any information would be appreciated; I’m not rushing my decision. Current options seem to be Cronkhite GJS-specific for +$700 (leather) +$460 (Cordura) or 18” bags (Probag, Levy’s) (leather) for +$450/490.

User Info Menu

Any information would be appreciated; I’m not rushing my decision. Current options seem to be Cronkhite GJS-specific for +$700 (leather) +$460 (Cordura) or 18” bags (Probag, Levy’s) (leather) for +$450/490.
    I have a Levy’s Jumbo gig bag that I carry my L5’s in. One of my L5’s has a Johnny Smith pickup with the tall knob and it’s not a problem with my Levy’s bag.
    Keith

User Info Menu

Very helpful to know, thank you!

User Info Menu

$700 for a Cronkhite huh?
    I bought 2 leather L5 bags from him about 10 yrs ago for $650. Not sure how much he was charging right before he retired but it sounds like the new owners had a pretty steep increase. But if they're the same quality probably still worth it, they're the best.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    $700 for a Cronkhite huh?
    I bought 2 leather L5 bags from him about 10 yrs ago for $650. Not sure how much he was charging right before he retired but it sounds like the new owners had a pretty steep increase. But if they're the same quality probably still worth it, they're the best.
    Let me know should you decide that you have one too many of those L-5 bags.

User Info Menu

Let me know should you decide that you have one too many of those L-5 bags.
    Not for sale, but won't work for a Smith due to the longer headstock. A friend and I bought new leather bags for L5's at the same time but he never used his so I bought it. Glenn always insisted that a gig bag should be snug all over, personally I don't think a slightly longer bag in the headstock is compromising, but he has his theories and has certainly seen more than me.
    Great old school cat btw, they don't make em like him anymore, he'll he missed in the trade.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by floatingpickup
    I have a Levy’s Jumbo gig bag that I carry my L5’s in. One of my L5’s has a Johnny Smith pickup with the tall knob and it’s not a problem with my Levy’s bag.
    Keith
    Again, thanks. Specs that I find listed for the Levy’s Jumbo (LM20J) feature a depth of only 4.5 inches, which I would have thought insufficient for those instruments, even with the listed 19.5 inches of width. The LM20, however, shows as 5.5 or 6 inches deep, but not as long (44.5 or 45 vs. 46 inches listed).

User Info Menu

Again, thanks. Specs that I find listed for the Levy’s Jumbo (LM20J) feature a depth of only 4.5 inches, which I would have thought insufficient for those instruments, even with the listed 19.5 inches of width. The LM20, however, shows as 5.5 or 6 inches deep, but not as long (44.5 or 45 vs. 46 inches listed).
    That is very strange. I am pretty sure mine is an LM20J. Unfortunately, I am away right now and can’t check the model/dimensions. You could contact Levy’s in Canada and ask them about the difference in the specs of those two models. I have dealt with them in the past and they were very responsive and helpful. The bag I have for my L5 is made for a “Jumbo” guitar such as a J-200 or Super 400 and it is deep enough for the Johnny Smith pickguard and knob. I also have a very similar Levy’s bag for a dreadnaught, and I don’t believe it is any deeper than my Jumbo bag. The dreadnaught bag, however, is too short for a Johnny Smith.
    Keith

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.

John
    If a JS fits then I’d certainly recommend it. I have one for my L5 and absolutely love the Continental. Feels like it will last forever and I feel very safe with my guitar in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rio
    If a JS fits then I’d certainly recommend it. I have one for my L5 and absolutely love the Continental. Feels like it will last forever and I feel very safe with my guitar in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Please see posts #10 and 11 above.

User Info Menu

I have 2 Gator Pro-Go cases. The classical size (works great for my 15" archtops & semis), and the dual acoustic-electric. I really like them, especially at the price-point. Had them for several years now, no complaints. Durable, well-padded, and lots of well-thought-out storage. (Ex, the main pocket IS big enough for a standard music binder.)

I believe the Pro-Go series all have a couple more interior length inches than most comparable bags.

Series: Pro-Go Guitar - Gator Cases

The acoustic bag appears to have a 45-1/2" interior length:

Acoustic Guitar Gig Bag-G-PG ACOUSTIC - Gator Cases

User Info Menu

Thank you for the reference to this series. The Pro-Go Acousric specs, however, feature only a 16-inch lower bout accommodation.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by floatingpickup
    That is very strange. I am pretty sure mine is an LM20J. Unfortunately, I am away right now and can’t check the model/dimensions. You could contact Levy’s in Canada and ask them about the difference in the specs of those two models. I have dealt with them in the past and they were very responsive and helpful. The bag I have for my L5 is made for a “Jumbo” guitar such as a J-200 or Super 400 and it is deep enough for the Johnny Smith pickguard and knob. I also have a very similar Levy’s bag for a dreadnaught, and I don’t believe it is any deeper than my Jumbo bag. The dreadnaught bag, however, is too short for a Johnny Smith.
    Keith
    Perhaps you have a Levy’s LM51J (Jazz), which is 46 ½” L x 19” W at lower bout x 5” deep, as the company kindly just informed me in response to my inquiry, while adding: “The bad news is we have suspended all of our Leather gig bag manufacture till the new year as we are completely redesigning the line.”

User Info Menu

Thank you for the reference to this series. The Pro-Go Acousric specs, however, feature only a 16-inch lower bout accommodation.
    In my experience a 17" archtop that is on the narrower side (like the JS) fits very well into a 16" dreadnaught bag, as long as the bag's sides aren't rock-hard stiff, like a true hard case. If you think about it, a dread bag is quite deep, and you only need the bag to flex 1/2" around the body bindings. But you should definitely try it first. Contact a sales rep at Sweetwater, they may give you a return option if you ask.

If I can find a colleague near me with a 17" archie, I'll see how it fits in the acoustic compartment of my dual bag.