The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 30 of 30

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    In my experience a 17" archtop that is on the narrower side (like the JS) fits very well into a 16" dreadnaught bag, as long as the bag's sides aren't rock-hard stiff, like a true hard case. If you think about it, a dread bag is quite deep, and you only need the bag to flex 1/2" around the body bindings. But you should definitely try it first. Contact a sales rep at Sweetwater, they may give you a return option if you ask.

If I can find a colleague near me with a 17" archie, I'll see how it fits in the acoustic compartment of my dual bag.
    Thanks for that kind offer, which is much appreciated. If possible, the experiment would be most informative using a GJS, and not just any 17-inch archtop, due to the added height on the lower treble bout of the volume knob on the GJS pickguard. (As mentioned initially, a Gator acoustic jumbo case that works fine for an L-5 CES is problematically tight for the GJS.) That added height also seems likely to exceed the benefits of the slightly slimmer GJS depth of 3 inches (not including the top and back arch) (over against, for example, an L-5) if the 'flex' you mention of 1/2 inch on the sides of the 16-inch bag would result in reducing the effective case depth from the spec'd 5 1/4 inches of that particular soft bag. Hence the wisdom of your suggestion to try it first and get a return option for anything ordered!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Geechnyc
    Perhaps you have a Levy’s LM51J (Jazz), which is 46 ½” L x 19” W at lower bout x 5” deep, as the company kindly just informed me in response to my inquiry, while adding: “The bad news is we have suspended all of our Leather gig bag manufacture till the new year as we are completely redesigning the line.”
    I think you’re right. My bag is probably the LM51J. That’s too bad that production of that line of bag is suspended.
    Keith

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    In my experience a 17" archtop that is on the narrower side (like the JS) fits very well into a 16" dreadnaught bag, as long as the bag's sides aren't rock-hard stiff, like a true hard case. If you think about it, a dread bag is quite deep, and you only need the bag to flex 1/2" around the body bindings. But you should definitely try it first. Contact a sales rep at Sweetwater, they may give you a return option if you ask.

If I can find a colleague near me with a 17" archie, I'll see how it fits in the acoustic compartment of my dual bag.
    Remember that the Johnny Smith has an elongated headstock.
    Keith

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by floatingpickup
    Remember that the Johnny Smith has an elongated headstock.
    Keith
    You didn't read the whole thread
    The bag I suggested IS longer. See #22.
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 04-06-2019 at 10:50 AM.

User Info Menu

Conclusion: I've acquired a Levy's LM-20 for my GJS and am pleased with the quality of the bag at its price as well as the instrument fit (the interior length is sufficiently accommodating). NB: Probag has been non-responsive/unreachable (their website has also been down for the past month).