Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 36 of 36

User Info Menu

A while ago, Mike and I made a deal. If I ever got tired of the HJS18, he gets it back. I didn’t think it would ever happen. My plan was to die with that guitar. The HJS18 was, still is and probably will always be -- the best guitar I’ve ever played. It was everything I ever wanted in a guitar. I always wanted it to work for me. And after I “Joe’d” it all up, it really did.
    But as my life went on my fun money thinned out, Bills and some of my other interests needed some of it. So I called Mike and told him I was thinking of parting with the HJS18. We worked out a deal where we swapped the 165 (I sold him back in December), plus some cash for the HJS18.
    For some reason (might have been one of my posts here..), it didn’t sit well with Mike that I would be with only one guitar going forward. So a couple of weeks ago (totally out of the blue) I get a text from him that said, “Joe, I’m gonna loan you the Wineburst for a while. It has a chunky neck just like your 165..” I said, your gonna what? He basically told me to shut up and just play the hell out it.. No strings attached. Its going back to New Jersey where it belongs.
    So, on loan from the Hale Guitar Collection, here is the famous Wineburst..

The Wineburst-170dea46-ca8b-4531-ae13-88fd5ef639be-jpg

When I received the Guitar it was apparent to me that it was basically never played. Patrick had A LOT of guitars. He was more of a collector than a player. This one, wasn’t even broken in. You can feel it on a new guitar. So I took off the strings, the pickguard and the pickup, the knobs and the tailpiece and got my Porter Cable out and started polishing. I used Sonax Final Polish as a one step and it brought the finish back to life. The Super Rotomatic tuners were oxidized so I polished them up good. The heads were very loose, so I tightened them. The gold plating on the Finger tailpiece and pickup cover was in great shape. Speaking of the pickup, this pickup was a Gibson pickup that Ronaldo gave to Patrick years ago. It has the infamous patent number 2737842 stamped into the back plate which was the patent number for Gibsons’ wraparound tailpiece!?! Apparently, Gibson used that Patent number as a deterrent for other pickup makers so they would not try and copy the pickup design. Nonetheless, it’s a nice Humbucker that sounds like the offspring of a 57 Classic and a T-Top. Pretty powerful and well defined from top to bottom. I love Gibson pickups, so this one suits me fine.

The top is thin and the bracing is shaped like a wide X, to allow for placement of the routed humbucker in the neck position. The acoustic sound with George Benson 13’s is amazing. It is much louder than the 3” depth should project. So far, the sound is completely well balanced across the entire neck. Speaking of the neck, its not chunky at all. But the neck heal is obstacle big like my 165, which is no doubt why I have both of these guitars. Lets face it, I am a chord melody player at this stage and playing solos an octave up the neck is something I do very infrequently. So it doesn’t bother me at all.

I look forward to exploring the possibilities of this guitar. It has sat idle for too long and it deserves to be played. Patrick said this Guitar was made in 2012 for a recording artist who couldn’t pay for it. That’s a shame for such a high quality instrument. In the coming month I will post a Video (or 2, yeah you know me), but for now I have some adapting to do and I wont do a disservice to this guitar by just throwing something together. Stay tuned..
    The Wineburst-ac1a32fe-a3c7-4e9b-8d6f-5e6c75d98953-jpgThe Wineburst-9353d3a8-26bc-4fa0-8b79-3d133f39c51d-jpgThe Wineburst-d798814f-1cab-423f-94ce-bdfd6e155c86-jpgThe Wineburst-6a1de787-fa1e-4ee7-afed-25bb100b5d5a-jpg

Last edited by Max405; 03-29-2019 at 08:23 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Simply Beautiful!
    The Priviledge Of A Lifetime Is Being Who You Are - J. Campbell.

User Info Menu

Just lovely, Joe. Big Mike scores solid 10's in the human decency department.
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

User Info Menu

Gorgeous color.

User Info Menu

You have a couple of benefactors here (BigMike and Vinny) who recognize your talent and acknowledge that talent with their generosity. Kudos to them. That Heritage is in the right hands.

User Info Menu

Looking good Joe
    Get it to Ronaldo have him take care of that tailrise, I’ll pay for the work.

Big

User Info Menu

Great story Joey. Can’t wait for the demo.

Cheers.
    Archtop YT Channel: www.youtube.com/+FredArchtop

User Info Menu

What a forum this is! Have fun, Joe.

User Info Menu

Congrats Joe - I love the color. BigMike is a generous man with a big heart.

User Info Menu

This is just beautiful beyond words !
    -----------------------------------

"The instrument keeps me humble. Sometimes I pick it up and it seems to say, "No, you can't play today." I keep at it anyway, though." Jim Hall

User Info Menu

This thread made my morning.

User Info Menu

+1 to that Greentone

User Info Menu

Very cool

User Info Menu

If it's not embarrassing, I would like to see a close up of that wedding photo too :-) The one you put on a guitar stand :-)
    -----------------------------------

"The instrument keeps me humble. Sometimes I pick it up and it seems to say, "No, you can't play today." I keep at it anyway, though." Jim Hall

User Info Menu

Wedding picture.....Beauty and the Beast. She got contact lenses after the wedding but it was too late.

User Info Menu

That is SO "my kind of guitar." Just perfect.

What a cool deal. Mike's a good guy, big heart.
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

"Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

--The Ghost of Duke Ellington

User Info Menu

Now not to make waves but this didn't go down quite like Joe said: I believe I texted him something more like

Shut the fuck up Joe, I'm sending it...

LOL
    (got a few of ya there for a second huh ???)

A lot of times Joe was talking about how he wanted a L5, or a WesMo specifically. No matter what we have we ALL got something we want. This place foments serious GAS for sure.

When I had that Wineburst here back in 2016 I looked at it and thought, sheesh if that ain't a Heritage WesMo I don't know what is. It is a lovely guitar and I know Joe will make incredible music with it... It does my heart good to see him getting so excited over it. I know Patrick and Fran Amato will be smiling too...

Big

User Info Menu

Kudos, guys!

(Joe, I did a double take at the wedding photo as it almost looks my own taken at good ol' Pantagis Renaissance....)

User Info Menu

Well done...Big Mike and Joe!!!

Ok, I jumped the gun. This guitar doesn’t have a tail rise. The neck had too much relief so a half turn of the trussrod straightened the neck right out. I’m sorry for the misdiagnosis. With a straight neck, this guitar is a nice player for sure. It sounds almost flattop like. These thin tops make the guitar loud but it takes away that thick tone that is found in a Wes Montgomery. It certainly looks like a Wes though. The guitar is really very nice. Once I get it dialed in, I will share some clips.
    Im having fun with it. Thank for everyone who liked the post. The well wishes to Mike well deserved. He went overboard with this one.
    Thanks guys.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

I had a good time doing this Joe, well except for the period all this gear was in transit... While you were home horsing around with the Wineburst I was knocking down a well earned snoot of Cognac, real nice Hennessey VSOP Privilege. Really loosened up those taut shoulders.

Enjoy it buddy. Glad there is no tail rise...

Big

User Info Menu

Great guitar, great story. Blessings on both Joe and Mike.
    Best regards, k

Mikey, that’s a well deserved taste of Cognac.
    You are all heart Mikey.
    I was way wrong about the neck. It takes low action really well.
    I am actually beginning to notice the difference between the 1-3/4 nut and the 1-11/16 nut. It’s amazing how that tiny little 1/16 difference is noticeable.

Quote Originally Posted by JPP65 View Post
    Simply Beautiful!
    thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone View Post
    Just lovely, Joe. Big Mike scores solid 10's in the human decency department.
    Lawson, you like the color? Does it remind you I’d something?

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k View Post
    Gorgeous color.
    Vinny it’s almost the same color as the Campellone.

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger View Post
    You have a couple of benefactors here (BigMike and Vinny) who recognize your talent and acknowledge that talent with their generosity. Kudos to them. That Heritage is in the right hands.
    Yes those guys have gone above and beyond. This guitar would be a welcome addition to any ones stable who appreciates the slick playability and almost flat top sound.

Quote Originally Posted by QAman View Post
    Congrats Joe - I love the color. BigMike is a generous man with a big heart.
    It really looks like Wine was sprayed on the guitar. Thanks QA
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Archtop View Post
    Great story Joey. Can’t wait for the demo.
    Cheers.
    Freddy, demo coming. You will hear the difference. Not the thick Gibson sound. More delicate. Thanks bud.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop View Post
    What a forum this is! Have fun, Joe.
    Robster! You would really like this guitar. And you would do it justice.

Quote Originally Posted by medblues View Post
    This is just beautiful beyond words !
    Than you MB!
    Quote Originally Posted by Greentone View Post
    This thread made my morning.
    GT, Thank you buddy. It made mine too.

Quote Originally Posted by medblues View Post
    If it's not embarrassing, I would like to see a close up of that wedding photo too :-) The one you put on a guitar stand :-)
    My baby was always beautiful. Always will be too. Inside and out.

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k View Post
    Wedding picture.....Beauty and the Beast. She got contact lenses after the wedding but it was too late.
    Ha! She got a kick out of that bro.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    That is SO "my kind of guitar." Just perfect.
    What a cool deal. Mike's a good guy, big heart.
    mr B, you would absolutely KILL it with this guitar. Who am I kidding, you’d kill it on any guitar. Even a crank up Mickey Mouse guitar!
    Quote Originally Posted by skittles View Post
    Kudos, guys!
    (Joe, I did a double take at the wedding photo as it almost looks my own taken at good ol' Pantagis Renaissance....)
    Snuffys.. been there many times. My reception was at Treasure Island. Oh boy that was a great night.

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler View Post
    Well done...Big Mike and Joe!!!
    thanks GF

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74 View Post
    Great guitar, great story. Blessings on both Joe and Mike.
    thank you C74.

Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeinNJ View Post
    Now not to make waves but this didn't go down quite like Joe said: I believe I texted him something more like
    Shut the fuck up Joe, I'm sending it...
    LOL
    (got a few of ya there for a second huh ???)
    A lot of times Joe was talking about how he wanted a L5, or a WesMo specifically. No matter what we have we ALL got something we want. This place foments serious GAS for sure.
    When I had that Wineburst here back in 2016 I looked at it and thought, sheesh if that ain't a Heritage WesMo I don't know what is. It is a lovely guitar and I know Joe will make incredible music with it... It does my heart good to see him getting so excited over it. I know Patrick and Fran Amato will be smiling too...
    Big
    Mikey, if Patrick only knew how you were going to treat his family after his passing he would have felt blessed. You were the best Mikey. You treated Fran like a sister. I hope she appreciates what you did. What you did was extraordinary.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405 View Post
    thank you!

Lawson, you like the color? Does it remind you I’d something?

Vinny it’s almost the same color as the Campellone.

Yes those guys have gone above and beyond. This guitar would be a welcome addition to any ones stable who appreciates the slick playability and almost flat top sound.
    Ha! That looks like the color my L5ces and "our" ES175 Figured was trying to be. The Heritage nails it, the L5 is beautiful but in some lights that golden area looks greenish. Beautiful in daylight or incandescent, horrible under fluorescents.
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

User Info Menu

the beauty of this guitar is only matched by the camaraderie and goodwill that this forum can exhibit (at it's best!)...well done fellows!!

enjoy!!! (both giver and taker)

cheers

User Info Menu

Ah Joe... today I glanced over at the ES175 that has lived with Vinny and you before coming along to me... your wine burst heritage reminds me of that one too.
    - Lawson

User Info Menu

Man that is a perfect looking guitar. I can't wait to see/hear some video Joe! A guitar like that just can't be sitting around not being played. Now THAT would be a sin!
    Doug Martin
    www.dougmartinguitar.com

"Live life and play music like it's your last day on earth. One day you'll be right" - Russel Malone

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic View Post
    the beauty of this guitar is only matched by the camaraderie and goodwill that this forum can exhibit (at it's best!)...well done fellows!!
    enjoy!!! (both giver and taker)
    cheers
    thanks Neatomic. I’ve been involved in more than my share of the generosity displayed here. Sometimes I have trouble knowing how to handle it.

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone View Post
    Ah Joe... today I glanced over at the ES175 that has lived with Vinny and you before coming along to me... your wine burst heritage reminds me of that one too.
    the Wine burst in real life looks like it was sprayed with about a half gallon of “Gallo Red Table Wine” I love bursts. And this one has a beautiful burst AND it has the thick binding in the cutaway.

Quote Originally Posted by Gitpicker View Post
    Man that is a perfect looking guitar. I can't wait to see/hear some video Joe! A guitar like that just can't be sitting around not being played. Now THAT would be a sin!
    Dougie! How are you my man? It is a perfect looking guitar. It plays really well too. You would absolutely KILL it with this guitar. This guitar needs to be broken in.. it’s sound, feel and playability is nothing like your L5 Wes.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

That must be about the prettiest guitar I've ever seen. Looks like a great big, vibrant heart. Congratulations.

User Info Menu

Beautiful guitar Joe. Love that finish!! I know this guitar is in capable hands.

Nice work again, Big Mike.

Tony D.

Strumcat, it is a very pretty guitar indeed.
    thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by strumcat View Post
    That must be about the prettiest guitar I've ever seen. Looks like a great big, vibrant heart. Congratulations.
    Thank you Tony. It’s a very playable guitar. I am working on a nice song and I’m finding this guitar to be very true up and down the neck, and it is playable all the way up to the last fret.
    I learned something that will be valuable to me in the future. A guitar is not always what it seems to be the first time you play it. And it’s imperative to keep a fretboard from drying out.
    This guitar is right now and its really growing on me..

Quote Originally Posted by pilotony View Post
    Beautiful guitar Joe. Love that finish!! I know this guitar is in capable hands.
    Nice work again, Big Mike.
    Tony D.

User Info Menu

Takes me me usually close to a whole year to get a guitar to be what I want it to be. I have to personalize it than learn to play it. What a wonderful gesture. If you can judge a mans character by his friends, yours sir is top shelf.

Quote Originally Posted by Max405 View Post

Thank you Tony. It’s a very playable guitar. I am working on a nice song and I’m finding this guitar to be very true up and down the neck, and it is playable all the way up to the last fret.
    I learned something that will be valuable to me in the future. A guitar is not always what it seems to be the first time you play it. And it’s imperative to keep a fretboard from drying out.
    This guitar is right now and its really growing on me..