The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 74 of 74

User Info Menu

Ok, I jumped the gun. This guitar doesn’t have a tail rise. The neck had too much relief so a half turn of the trussrod straightened the neck right out. I’m sorry for the misdiagnosis. With a straight neck, this guitar is a nice player for sure. It sounds almost flattop like. These thin tops make the guitar loud but it takes away that thick tone that is found in a Wes Montgomery. It certainly looks like a Wes though. The guitar is really very nice. Once I get it dialed in, I will share some clips.
    Im having fun with it. Thank for everyone who liked the post. The well wishes to Mike well deserved. He went overboard with this one.
    Thanks guys.
    Joe D

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I had a good time doing this Joe, well except for the period all this gear was in transit... While you were home horsing around with the Wineburst I was knocking down a well earned snoot of Cognac, real nice Hennessey VSOP Privilege. Really loosened up those taut shoulders.

Enjoy it buddy. Glad there is no tail rise...

Big

User Info Menu

Great guitar, great story. Blessings on both Joe and Mike.

User Info Menu

Mikey, that’s a well deserved taste of Cognac.
    You are all heart Mikey.
    I was way wrong about the neck. It takes low action really well.
    I am actually beginning to notice the difference between the 1-3/4 nut and the 1-11/16 nut. It’s amazing how that tiny little 1/16 difference is noticeable.

User Info Menu

Ha! That looks like the color my L5ces and "our" ES175 Figured was trying to be. The Heritage nails it, the L5 is beautiful but in some lights that golden area looks greenish. Beautiful in daylight or incandescent, horrible under fluorescents.

User Info Menu

the beauty of this guitar is only matched by the camaraderie and goodwill that this forum can exhibit (at it's best!)...well done fellows!!

enjoy!!! (both giver and taker)

cheers

User Info Menu

Today was a good day for outdoor pics. I've had this one a couple of months. It's a closet queen.

The finish is antique blonde. The sound board is thicker than the usual for one made with a floating pickup. It's parallel braced and has Seth Lovers. Jay Wolfe spec'd this one out. It has the L-5 shaped pickguard.

For some reason there's a red blush where the case lining "kissed" the neck near the joint and near the headstock. I don't think the rosiness will come out without removing and respraying the clear. Not worth the trouble and it looks sorta cool.

Here are the pics that show the blush.

Heritage Golden Eagle-100_0427-jpgHeritage Golden Eagle-100_0435-jpgHeritage Golden Eagle-100_0436-jpgHeritage Golden Eagle-100_0438-jpgHeritage Golden Eagle-100_0439-jpgHeritage Golden Eagle-100_0444-jpg
    Last edited by Marty Grass; 09-02-2019 at 06:46 PM.

User Info Menu

Beautiful finish and gorgeous figured rims.
    In light of Gibson’s continuing price escalation - Heritage guitars of this quality will not last on the market. Great purchase and do enjoy.

User Info Menu

Wonder how close it comes to an L5 plugged into a Fender Twin. I bet it sounds fantastic and would be a cool experiment as we always say nothing sounds like an L5 except and L5.

Great score!

User Info Menu

You guys with these blonde Golden Eagles just make me ache for my lost lovely Golden Eagle. Never got over having to let her go.

User Info Menu

I'd call a 'blush' the whitish condition when moisture gets into a nitrocellulose finish which can respond to a retarder.

My ES-175 had some yellow/brown discoloration related either to the case or a stand and I was able to carefully rub it out (see picture, note the area on the binding). Before on the right and After on the left.
    Heritage Golden Eagle-before-after-composite-jpg

User Info Menu

The yellowing isn't a color transfer. It's oxidation or some other reaction from the rubber on the stand. Mine was a color transfer.

User Info Menu

I have had a real problem with Cedar Creek cases with green felt turning my guitars green.
    I have never had a problem with a Gibson/TKL case staining.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    It's a Cedar Creek case!
    Cedar Creek is a well made case but WILL stain your guitars. Mark Campellone just pulled his personal blonde 2015 Special out of a CC case and it was stained. He is looking into changing to TKL.
    I bought a factory Gibson L5 case for my Campellone. The fit is better and no more staining. I don’t like green guitars. My advise : DON’T BUY CEDAR CREEK CASES.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Cedar Creek is a well made case but WILL stain your guitars. Mark Campellone just pulled his personal blonde 2015 Special out of a CC case and it was stained. He is looking into changing to TKL.
    I bought a factory Gibson L5 case for my Campellone. The fit is better and no more staining. I don’t like green guitars. My advise : DON’T BUY CEDAR CREEK CASES.
    Jeez, you would think CC would switch their fabric.

User Info Menu

Its the case interior's fabric dye that is transferring onto the guitar's binding. I've seen it occur on Gibson as well as other cases.

User Info Menu

The safest fabric dye seems to be Pewter or Silver. All the others stain somewhat. Brown is at least harmonious with the typical sunburst. Gold is harmonious with Amber or Natural. Black dye tends to come off. Pink is a bad offender.

Velour is more colour fast than crushed velvet mainly due to its short nap and the way the dye takes to it.

Get a pure cotton natural or white flannel sheet and wrap your guitar in it before storing it in the case. That prevents transfer of stain. IKEA grey fleece blankets of polyfibres work very well too.

Harptone Cases brand has been brought back under TKL. Looks great but I don't know how colourfast its Moss Green or Purple lining is. I hope that Mark Campellone take a look at Harptone.

User Info Menu

From the mid sixties to the present I've owned many Gibsons , all came in their cases
    none of the guitars has shown any sign of staining from remaining in them
    However. I do adopt the same procedure suggested here by Jabberwocky ,
    eg using cotton material ( old shirts ) to cover the guitars in the case. Green baize is also
    a useful protective material. ,if there is any to hand. just my 2p

User Info Menu

TKL, Cedar Creek, Harptone - all the same company. I guess I've been lucky to never have had any issues with Cedar Creek Cases. I have been told by Cedar Creek that the forms used to make their cases are the old Harptone forms.

Many of the TKL-branded cases are made for them by an old case company in Montreal that also makes/made traditional-style plywood hardshell cases cases for Gibson, Heritage, Martin, original Guild, Gertsch and others. I've never encountered any dye-transfer problems with Montreal cases. My understanding is that their distributor is George Heinl, in Toronto. I have purchased many 16", 17" and 18" archtop cases from them over the years (18" archtop cases are no longer available from them unless you want to buy 100 of them) along with cases that fit other guitar styles.

Geo. Heinl & Co. Limited | Conservators, appraisers and purveyors of fine string instruments from around the world. Also offers bows, cases and related accessories.
    Ask for Andreas.

Or get one from me. Happy to do some trading for any Cedar Creek cases you want to get rid of.
    Or get a Hiscox case - excellent cases, IMO - I have a few.
    Or get an Ameritage case - excellent cases, IMO - I have a few.

User Info Menu

The Golden Eagle spent about 20 years in the case. The original owner said that, and the lack of fret wear attests to that. The case is like a vault and snuggly fits. The slight pink blush is understandable and doesn't bother me a bit. In another 20 years, no telling what that nitro will look like.

There's an Aaron Cowles guitar now owned by a member of this forum that was stained by blue painter's tape. I put the tape on to mark the bridge location. I pulled the tape off later. There was blue in the finish. I showed Aaron. He said it is best to think of nitrocellulose as a wanna be liquid (I'm paraphrasing). He buffed it out.

User Info Menu

- very interesting to read this discussion of the staining issues with the Cedar Creek cases - the whole thing remains a bit of a mystery because sometimes the staining occurs and sometimes it doesn't, with no apparent rhyme or reason. I understand that the staining is a big problem, but this issue aside, I've been happy with the Cedar Creek cases - they're very nicely made and build quality has been very consistent. From this point forward, I'll be using some TKL cases, but I'll continue to work with Cedar Creek - gonna try switching to a different color/material for the interior lining in the hope that this will eliminate the staining problem. In recent correspondence with sales staff there, I was told that they now offer a "Persian White" interior lining material, which I would expect to be trouble free -

User Info Menu

It’s really lovely Mark. Frankly once you pop the case open and start playing it you realize those little beauty marks mean nothing, you get wrapped up in how easy it is to play and what lush sounds you can coax out of her. Like these girls, back when Patrick had them and had the little harp ends cut off the bridges... For a while you could see the little "tan lines" where they'd been. Sure wouldn't pass on either of them because of that "flaw".

Big

Heritage Golden Eagle-6af8d920-61c5-4374-bcdc-8e0ba95115bc-jpegHeritage Golden Eagle-d87b2c67-e59f-47bb-8e00-4492c0d1866e-jpegHeritage Golden Eagle-a8ed36c4-8a36-4b6d-839a-d420c86bc12e-jpgHeritage Golden Eagle-37718654-a053-49f2-8d5b-f282f5b3210b-jpgHeritage Golden Eagle-50dc9fe1-97c7-4e74-8838-074329cd7856-jpgHeritage Golden Eagle-1d68dd0d-9c32-4a4e-b0ff-7ce008236fd8-jpg

User Info Menu

I didn’t know they existed until the night I got moved here in Chicago.
    i was particularly moved by the angel on the headstock since I’d just lost my Mom. Her maiden name was Angell with two L’s. So I did everything I could to land these

Heritage Golden Eagle-44b266a9-fe77-4e2b-8bb4-5f87680fdd77-jpgHeritage Golden Eagle-22db50fb-24fe-4e95-b44c-342a353a66f1-jpgHeritage Golden Eagle-d4586ba1-82a4-4a27-a06c-3a9740364d2f-jpgHeritage Golden Eagle-d1aa8434-65c2-4b34-b2be-bdddd82f6654-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MCampellone
    - very interesting to read this discussion of the staining issues with the Cedar Creek cases - the whole thing remains a bit of a mystery because sometimes the staining occurs and sometimes it doesn't, with no apparent rhyme or reason. I understand that the staining is a big problem, but this issue aside, I've been happy with the Cedar Creek cases - they're very nicely made and build quality has been very consistent. From this point forward, I'll be using some TKL cases, but I'll continue to work with Cedar Creek - gonna try switching to a different color/material for the interior lining in the hope that this will eliminate the staining problem. In recent correspondence with sales staff there, I was told that they now offer a "Persian White" interior lining material, which I would expect to be trouble free -
    The CC case is a extremely well made sturdy case except for the color bleed. The Persian White lining would make it the best case you can get for your L5 sized guitar. That would be great and the perfect fix. Mark you would sleep better at night with your guitars leaving in white lined cases for sure. Personally I think all cases should be white, cream, or light tan lined.