The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 49 of 49

User Info Menu

WHY WAS THE GIBSON ES-775 SO SHORT-LIVED?
    Liberace did not play guitar

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Liam1289
    I have the same model but can't find a Gibson sticker inside. I was wondering if yours has one? I cant find an answer as to whether or not the 775 has the gibson sticker inside.
    My ES-775 does not have a Gibson label inside. Of all the ES-775 pictures I’ve seen online I’d say it’s about 50%/50%, with and without labels.

Welcome to the forum!

Jon

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by icr
    Liberace did not play guitar

User Info Menu

Looking at the left hand, I'm not sure that photo is proof of playing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Looking at the left hand, I'm not sure that photo is proof of playing.
    Liberace is quite the jazz cat, he's playing an Em11. Or possibly A11sus2/E. Wait, it could be a G69/E...

User Info Menu

He knew more than one chord

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I ordered an ES775 when they first came out, I had the guitar for only 6 months; it was very heavy, the wood piece on the tail fell off after a month and I had to glue it back, and the tone was not (in my opinion) as good as the ES175. They are beautiful to look at but if you hold one standing up, you'll know why it didn't last very long in production.

Cheers,
    Arnie...

User Info Menu

Here's one for sale on Reverb with the Gibson sticker inside.
    Gibson ES-775 Sunburst | Flat Five Music | Reverb

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    The funny thing is elvis was a decent pianist. Not Liberace level but decent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TH
    An instrument like that can support itself in the line over time, but Gibson is/was run by executive decisions of fast money and make a lot of it now. That probably means somebody with good ideas can manage to sell the idea, and if it doesn't sell a million yesterday, the business heads see it as a failure.
    Which is why there are 734 different official models of the Gibson Les Paul.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamScott
    Here's one for sale on Reverb with the Gibson sticker inside.
    Gibson ES-775 Sunburst | Flat Five Music | Reverb
    That's sold now. At a grand less than the cheapest 175 on Reverb, I'm not surprised. Holy moly are 175's expensive now!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by customxke
    I sort of assumed these were made to use up leftover headstock overlays and fretboards from other discontinued models.
    You may be right, because they were used on a few guitars in the 80's.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AKA
    I agree with all of the above except I don't find the 775 to be a nice looking guitar. I think the headstock inlay is uninspired - if not downright corny. What is that thing?.
    It's the famous "Flying F-Hole." Was also used on two of the Active Artist series. I'm probably one of the only people who like it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    It's the famous "Flying F-Hole." Was also used on two of the Active Artist series. I'm probably one of the only people who like it.
    I guess it’s really not so bad.

AKA

User Info Menu

I don't give a flying f...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound

User Info Menu

Reverb has an informative article about those unique "Artist" models that included the "Winged F" headstock inlay...as well as Tim Shaw designed Moog electronics.

When Gibson Put Moog Preamps In Guitars: Les Paul | Reverb News

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    Reverb has an informative article about those unique "Artist" models that included the "Winged F" headstock inlay...as well as Tim Shaw designed Moog electronics.

When Gibson Put Moog Preamps In Guitars: Les Paul | Reverb News
    Boy, do I feel lucky! I have an ES-775, probably built on request in 1994, which makes the life-span 1990-1993 obviously a little longer. This is what the serial number indicates, according to Gibson, but the same serial number might also refer to 1997... And mine does have a sticker. But foremost, a beautiful guitar, plays exceptionally well, and the tone is sweet and soft, even non-amplified. I hardly ever play amplified (Fender Hot Rod George Benson).
    And, double luck, I also have an ES Artist, with the same Flying F, both acquired by accident, within three months of each other. My ES Artist is from the first series of 27, made in 1979. I still have the Moog, and it works, but I had her set-up with the continuously fine '57's, regular tone circuit, split-coil, phase and a jazz switch (extra condensator for dark sounds).
    Ain't that summin'?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SG2000
    Boy, do I feel lucky! I have an ES-775, probably built on request in 1994, which makes the life-span 1990-1993 obviously a little longer. This is what the serial number indicates, according to Gibson, but the same serial number might also refer to 1997... And mine does have a sticker. But foremost, a beautiful guitar, plays exceptionally well, and the tone is sweet and soft, even non-amplified. I hardly ever play amplified (Fender Hot Rod George Benson).
    And, double luck, I also have an ES Artist, with the same Flying F, both acquired by accident, within three months of each other. My ES Artist is from the first series of 27, made in 1979. I still have the Moog, and it works, but I had her set-up with the continuously fine '57's, regular tone circuit, split-coil, phase and a jazz switch (extra condensator for dark sounds).
    Ain't that summin'?

User Info Menu

The Gibson 775 is my dream guitar.

The 175 has always felt like the perfect guitar in that I like the body size and it has the perfect neck profile for my hands, so with this being simlar to a 175 and having that beautiful headstock inlay...mmm!
    The most important thing though is that it would match my Gibson RD artist which also has a 'flying f' inlay.
    (I'm in the UK if anyone knows or hears about one for sale)

User Info Menu

Gibson ES-775 1991 - Vintage Sunburst | Reverb

Quote Originally Posted by GordonM
    The Gibson 775 is my dream guitar.

The 175 has always felt like the perfect guitar in that I like the body size and it has the perfect neck profile for my hands, so with this being simlar to a 175 and having that beautiful headstock inlay...mmm!
    The most important thing though is that it would match my Gibson RD artist which also has a 'flying f' inlay.
    (I'm in the UK if anyone knows or hears about one for sale)

User Info Menu

The slotted block fretboard inlays on the Howard Roberts models (Epi and Gibson) were more delicate. Someone must of changed the bandsaw blade for the ES-775.
    Why was the Gibson ES-775 so Short-lived?-f491b34f-9bd9-413b-8921-9d32107c1e14-jpeg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Easy2grasp
    The slotted block fretboard inlays on the Howard Roberts models (Epi and Gibson) were more delicate. Someone must of changed the bandsaw blade for the ES-775.
    Well, strictly speaking, they are Spartan inlays.

Pedantically yours,
    steven