Posts 1 to 18 of 18

Why do we love guitars?

Why do we love guitars?-guitar-relationship-jpeg
    MG

2. # ADS
    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Guys love their Barbies

Why do we love guitars?

You can have more than one, use a different one every day, and the others don't mind.
    Trading or selling them isn't illegal
    You can lend them to a friend
    You can keep them in storage and not play with them for months
    They always look the same in the morning as they did the night before
    Low maintenance
    They don't care how well you perform

When the relationship is over you may even experience a net gain.
    Regards,

Gary

Same reason we like guns, fishing poles, golf clubs, and cars, I reckon. Freud says it has to do with our mother or our penis.

Not love. Addiction. Seriously.
    Why? Because it's not illegal.
    David

Reminds me of a sign I saw:

Shut your wife and dog in your trunk. Open it in an hour. Which one is happy to see you?
    MG

They just look cool - and there seems to be an almost endless variety of them to look at and drool over!

Regards,
    Steven Herron
    Jazz Guitar Tabs - Solos, Tab Books, Instruction DVDs + Video Lessons

It's the sound. There's this little woody raspy sound of string on fretboard ... always fascinated me, even when I was a little kid.
    MD

They have sexy curves, beautiful voices and are sensitive to our touch.

Excuse me while I go play with mine.

Just the right size to be smaller than you but not insignificant.

Just the right, and very wide, price range so EVERYONE can feel just enough pain to make it “love”.

Just the right ability to sound OK even if you do not, yet sound amazing if you work at it.

Just the right potential to gather a slightly larger, slight warmer, and slightly more species-specific companion if you can manage to sing a little too. (No gents, you are kidding yourself if you think that smirking post-bop solos with a dopey hat on to cover missing hair will do it.)

Just the right thing. It happens.

Quote Originally Posted by ptchristopher3 View Post
    Just the right potential to gather a slightly larger, slight warmer, and slightly more species-specific companion if you can manage to sing a little too. (No gents, you are kidding yourself if you think that smirking post-bop solos with a dopey hat on to cover missing hair will do it.)
    Yeah, lose the hat. Say it loud, I'm bald and I'm proud.

John

For me guitar was appealing because it was not the piano. My mother made me take piano lessons, and my piano teacher was brutal. A wizened old lady named "Mrs. Lewis" who whacked my fingers every time I made a mistake playing from John Thompson's Teaching Little Fingers to Play.

When my parents divorced I ran as far as I could from the piano. My mother always associated guitars with booze and whorehouses, which sounded great to me. I knew playing the guitar would therefore be the most annoying thing I could possibly do!

Little did I know it was also one of the most rewarding things I would ever do. My dad was proud of me, my mom was defeated, and I had an instrument.

Later my mother did come around and admit the old crone teaching me was nasty and she liked my guitar playing....
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone View Post
    My mother always associated guitars with booze and whorehouses...
    Q: What do you call a building where hundreds of guitar players live?

A: A jailhouse.

[But my real answer would be: A guitar is the perfect woman... she's beautiful, she's always there when you need her, you're always glad to see her, and when you touch her, she sings.]
    Last edited by strumcat; 03-26-2019 at 04:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo View Post
    Same reason we like guns, fishing poles, golf clubs, and cars, I reckon. Freud says it has to do with our mother or our penis.
    I read that Freud was once asked (true or not, paraphrased)

If most everything people do is sexual nature, what's with the cigar you're smoking?

his reply...

"Sometimes a cigar is only a cigar"
    Regards,

Gary

Well, money can't buy happiness, but it can buy guitars.

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo View Post
    I'm meh on guns and golf, but I love fishing and cars. Speaking of Freud, you left out cigars.
    “Without music, life would be a mistake”--Friedrich Nietzsche

Current lineup: Gibson ES-135 ('02), Peerless Sunset, Harmony Brilliant Cutaway ('64), Godin 5th Avenue, Alvarez AC60 A/E classical, Kay K37 ('56), Fender Squier VM Jazz bass, several ukes. Amps: Fishman Artist, Fender SCXD, Pignose 7-100.

A guitar will never take half your stuff away because you got intimate with a different guitar.....

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger View Post
    A guitar will never take half your stuff away because you got intimate with a different guitar.....
    Does that include upgrading the pickups and installing a new jack? Asking for a friend...
    “Without music, life would be a mistake”--Friedrich Nietzsche

Current lineup: Gibson ES-135 ('02), Peerless Sunset, Harmony Brilliant Cutaway ('64), Godin 5th Avenue, Alvarez AC60 A/E classical, Kay K37 ('56), Fender Squier VM Jazz bass, several ukes. Amps: Fishman Artist, Fender SCXD, Pignose 7-100.

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed