The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 30

User Info Menu

Not to long ago Frans posted some pictures of his "1925 Elferink Master 400 Stromberg" on Facebook. I had seen and read his occasional posts to do with "guitar physics", with mild interest I might add, but that was all I knew of him.
    Anyway, I was so taken back by this guitar I decided to do some research on Frans, mainly on this site, thanks Rob MacKillop BTW, and others as well. I was convinced! Thankyou all!
    My dream has been to own a "Stromberg Master 400 Cutaway". Very rare, only 6 made it seems, and for reasons we don't know they were 18.25" lower bout instead of 19.25. But I can't afford one
    So, after many emails between myself and Frans I thought I should let the Forum know that Frans has agreed to make me an "1825 Elferink Master 400 Stromberg Cutaway", same upper and lower bout and depth dimensions as the original Master 400 Cutaway, "single diagonal brace", 25 1/2" scale, 1 3/4" nut, but same finish and ornamentation as his "1925". We are both very excited about this project I can tell you!.
    Probably finished by Oct/Nov. So I will post the pictures of the progress of this guitar as I get them from Frans.
    Well.........that's if anybody is interested of course
    Last edited by grantc; 09-14-2019 at 07:16 AM. Reason: Latest Progress Pics

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'm sure there will be great interest. What a fantastic idea, and you've picked the right guy to make it for you. I look forward to the unfolding story!

User Info Menu

Here is Frans today with that guitar

(at NL guitar show)

Frans Elferink "Stromberg Master 400 Cutaway"-d6ebfc03-22f5-4587-bbcd-71f46b5f0baa-jpg

Thanks Rob for your positive response.

and......

Yes fws6......that's the 1925! Thanks for the picture!

User Info Menu

I for one would love to see the pictures of this Elferink guitar when it is finished as well as hear it being played!

Keep us posted.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Herron
    I for one would love to see the pictures of this Elferink guitar when it is finished as well as hear it being played!

Keep us posted.

Regards,
    Steven Herron
    Jazz Science Series For Guitar
    That goes for me too. Love his work! Congrats

User Info Menu

Franz builds wonderful Archtop guitars. My Elferink Tone Master just keeps getting better sounding all the time .

User Info Menu

There was also a demo concert with the guitar

i ll try to upload or place a link later

User Info Menu

Very nice

Would love to get one myself ...

Triggs also offers something similar for those of us on the US side of the pond

Looking at Elferink's website makes me want one of his Avant Gardes as well

User Info Menu

Buy mine it is 18 inches and clearly is not a Stromberg (D'a inspired) in looks but will do the dance.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Herron

Keep us posted.

Regards,
    Steven Herron
    Jazz Science Series For Guitar
    Thanks Steven.........FWIW, even Frans said he couldn't wait to hear it

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    Buy mine it is 18 inches and clearly is not a Stromberg (D'a inspired) in looks but will do the dance.
    Thanks for the offer Mark but I already have a Sonntag 18" X Braced Augusta (D'Angelico inspired)
    Great guitar might I say

Quote Originally Posted by fws6

Thanks.......I will look forward to this link or upload

User Info Menu

Frans Elferink "Stromberg Master 400 Cutaway"-42f6225a-786b-4192-864b-60e6af4635e7-jpg

User Info Menu

My goodness!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg
    Triggs also offers something similar for those of us on the US side of the pond
    He does - and also for, those of us in Europe (though shipping, customs and VAT wil have to be added to Jim's price). Here's the one Jim made for me. If Frans Elferink had been into those big guitars when I got mine made, I could well have had him make it.

Sendt fra min SM-T810 med Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oldane
    He does - and also for, those of us in Europe (though shipping, customs and VAT wil have to be added to Jim's price). Here's the one Jim made for me. If Frans Elferink had been into those big guitars when I got mine made, I could well have had him make it.

That looks awesome!!

Quote Originally Posted by oldane

Thanks Oldane for the picture.........very nice indeed. Jim Triggs certainly does good work!

Here is a picture of Irving Ashby playing his Master 400 Cutaway with Nat King Cole. This is the guitar that Frans is building for me If you search Youtube - Nat King Cole Irving Ashby there are a few live vids as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images Frans Elferink "Stromberg Master 400 Cutaway"-gettyimages-171594978-1024x1024-jpg-jpg Frans Elferink "Stromberg Master 400 Cutaway"-images-2-jpeg Frans Elferink "Stromberg Master 400 Cutaway"-j5583-copia-jpg-jpg 

One more
    Attached Images Attached Images Frans Elferink "Stromberg Master 400 Cutaway"-stromberg-master-400-jpg-jpeg 

Tone Woods selected..........The journey begins
    Attached Images Attached Images Frans Elferink "Stromberg Master 400 Cutaway"-g1-jpg Frans Elferink "Stromberg Master 400 Cutaway"-g2-jpg Frans Elferink "Stromberg Master 400 Cutaway"-g3-jpg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fws6

Legend has it that Hank Garland played his Stromberg on, "Always,"

Hmmm
    Attached Images Attached Images Frans Elferink "Stromberg Master 400 Cutaway"-g4-jpg Frans Elferink "Stromberg Master 400 Cutaway"-g7-jpg Frans Elferink "Stromberg Master 400 Cutaway"-g6-jpg Frans Elferink "Stromberg Master 400 Cutaway"-g5-jpg Frans Elferink "Stromberg Master 400 Cutaway"-g9-jpg Frans Elferink "Stromberg Master 400 Cutaway"-g8-jpg 

User Info Menu

Watching this thread with great interest. I don't think I've ever held an 18inch instrument...
    What a fantastic journey to share with such a talented luthier.

Quote Originally Posted by Dedalus
    Watching this thread with great interest. I don't think I've ever held an 18inch instrument...
    What a fantastic journey to share with such a talented luthier.
    Yes.......a fantastic journey indeed.......especially because of the "single diagonal brace" construction same as the original Strombergs

Frans Elferink "Stromberg Master 400 Cutaway"-g14-jpgFrans Elferink "Stromberg Master 400 Cutaway"-g15-jpgFrans Elferink "Stromberg Master 400 Cutaway"-g16-jpgFrans Elferink "Stromberg Master 400 Cutaway"-fb_img_1567856096366-jpg