The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 35 of 35

User Info Menu

The amount of mud caused by the tone control depends on the wiring scheme, of which there are several. I prefer the Benedetto wiring, which doesn't produce much mud until the tone control is very low. That isn't the most common wiring, though. I tend to run my tone control full up, and control the tone with the amp's controls, but I'm not religious about it. Sometimes it's quicker and easier to just roll back the tone on the guitar. I seldom move it much, though. But in the end, whatever works best for you is the best way to do it.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Great video and comparison.

I liked best Vol 9 Tone 10 for the chord playing. I liked best Vol 9 Tone 7 for the melody playing.

Then you confused matters as I also really like the bonus bit with the Vol 4 Tone 10.

I roll off both my Vol and Tone on my guitars but I think my amp is set brighter.

User Info Menu

When I’m setting up, I’ll typically set the guitar’s volume and tone controls to 6 or 7. Then I’ll adjust the amp to get as close as possible to the tone I’m looking for. That gives me the option to adjust the guitar up or down as I play.

Your video is helpful. Listening on lousy speakers, I much preferred the high tone control settings. But what if you had started your experiment by adjusting the amp with the guitar knobs at 6 or 7? In that case, full up settings on the guitar might not sound so good.

User Info Menu

There are too many variables to generalize IMO. Amp/amp settings/speaker/guitar/strings/string age/pick material/pick tip shape plus also guitar/pickup/pickup height and angle/room dynamics/amp placement/technique/taste/other instruments in mix...

User Info Menu

Also consider the circuit: the use of the tone-knob differs considerably between 'modern wiring' and '50ies wiring'. I prefer 50ies wiring and use the tone knob a lot: when I down the volume I up the tone and vice verse when I up the volume I down the tone, because they are very interactive in the 50ies wiring. Quirky but I like it!

User Info Menu

What stood out for me is the great playing!

User Info Menu

The big Fenders have a Bright switch. Although the mechanical bright switch is absent on the control face of the Deluxe Reverb, its corresponding bright switch capacitor is in place in the circuit on the volume potentiometer, just like it's big brothers. The bright effect for the Deluxe is "on" at low volume knob rotations but the circuit is designed to completely roll off the bright as the volume control passes halfway up, so some people set their amp volume halfway up and set their desired level with the guitar volume fairly down to stay clear of the built-in bright switch effect.

User Info Menu

Mostly you convinced me that both you and your guitar sound great however you set the controls. Really nice tones.

User Info Menu

Based on this video (nice playing and nice tone) I wouldn't turn the tone knob below 7. After that the mud factor started to rise, for me. And because of that, the guitar's beautiful tone, and that of the player, began to get buried. And, the tone on 10 with volume on 4, was close, but, something was missing from the original setup ( Vol on 9, and T > 7 )

Funny, this is exactly how I prefer my setups, with amp tones turned up. I don't have a DR but will try these settings on my other Fender amps.

Thanks.

User Info Menu

First: Really great playing.
    I just found a new song I want to learn.

I used to always have tone at 10 and then dial in the amp, and didn't really understand why guitars almost always have a tone knob, and disliked when guitarists choose to roll of the tone control.
    But rather recently I figured it out gives you more options in combination with the amp EQ.

For example a typical Fender 3 knob tone stack, the Treble control will move the middle frequency of the Mid control.
    So one option is to dial in "too much" treble on the amp, and get rid of the excess treble with the guitar tone knob, then you have a higher mid frequency on your "mid" knob.

I also just this weekend changed the 5F1 (no tone knob) clone I built to resemble 5F2A (a single tone knob) more.
    That amp has quite different interplay between the volume, tone, on the amp together with the volume and tone on the guitar, compared to other amps I've used.
    I can imagine that at the time when these type of amps were more common that guitar tone controls were much more used than than they are today.