The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 42

User Info Menu

How is the quality of Archtop Tribute guitars? i.e. is an AT 350 comparable with Gibson ES-350 or i.e. with any DS? Is Westville Grand or Aruba comparable with luthier's work? We all know that it's not handmade but Gibson was not also luthiers work... I really look for sth very good in quality, as close luthiers work could be. As ballanced as could be...

So maybe AT is another waste of time/money because it's budget guitar as many others (Eastman, Ibanez, etc) and if you looking for sth high top you still need go into luthier's queue?

Just wondering if there is AT or Westville which will be good enough to save money (they are not cheap but I think some luthier's guitars are not worth twice more money as well...). Videos looks nice however video is video... any thoughts?

Archtop Tribute Quality-archtop-tribute-350-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi there
    I have two AT guitars- an ES350 copy and an ES175 copy.
    These are in every respect comparable to the best of the new and vintage Gibsons that I’ve owned and played. I am not a collector but this number would be in the dozens over a forty year period.
    I have no experience with Westville.

Edited to add- I find the video demos I’ve seen to be a good representation of the actual guitars and quite true-to-life.

All the best!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by leroydobbs; 03-20-2019 at 06:18 AM.

User Info Menu

Westville guitars are fully handcrafted. This is not the case for AT guitars. Both brands have great guitars, though there is a price and quality difference. It all depends on what you want and/or can afford. AT comes closest to the Gibsons you mentioned. Westville comes closer to Schottmüller or Moffa. I have a Westville guitar and will never sell it. Worth every Yen I paid for it.

Besides video’s also listen to Yotam Silberstein’s latest CD. He is playing a Westville Solar with figured hard maple/spruce plywood top, and a figured hard maple plywood back.

Edit: Listen also to Tom Harrell's new CD 'Infinity', with Charles Altura playing a Westville guitar.
    Last edited by stevus; 03-20-2019 at 01:17 PM.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

They are both built in Terada factory, so they sound clear and feel stiff.
    I believe Walkin' (The guitar shop and distributor of both brands) is giving away (or selling much cheaper) their guitars to American pros.

User Info Menu

From what I know Yotam is playing his Westville on the CD (and not his Benedetto). While his Westville sometimes sounds amazing on his YT clips, he might have overdone the treble roll-of on the CD. I don't like his sound on the new CD - I prefered even his sound on the Comins, not to mention on the L5.

EDIT: Based on the video posted by Asedas he might have played at least some of the material on the Comins :-) But still.... ;-)

More Yotam with his Westville

User Info Menu

I have been in Walkin store in Shibuya last year. I tried I Westville guitar and talk to the owner of the company (i think both Store and Westville/Archtop Tribute).
    I found him a very kind and serious person. I tried the L-5 specs style guitar. It was a very good quality guitar.
    I didnt find any flaws on it. I didnt try the Archtop Tribute. He is pride of what he is doing.
    Considering that they sell and buy tons of vintage guitar they really know how to achieve a great sound and feel.
    Hope it helps.

Enviado desde mi LG-H870 mediante Tapatalk

User Info Menu

The price makes AT very tempting. But to get in in EU the price does not looks so well any more the best would be someone who travells and could take guitar via plane with him. Do you have any other ideas how to get guitar outside jp without extra costs?

User Info Menu

Even with all the duties to be paid in the EU, the AT is a good deal.

Have you considered to try and pick it up yourself? Off season flight tickets to Japan are pretty cheap. You might return home with an even better guitar.

User Info Menu

Those Charlie Christian ones are purrty

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stevus
    Westville guitars are fully handcrafted. This is not the case for AT guitars. Both brands have great guitars, though there is a price and quality difference. It all depends on what you want and/or can afford. AT comes closest to the Gibsons you mentioned. Westville comes closer to Schottmüller or Moffa. I have a Westville guitar and will never sell it. Worth every Yen I paid for it.

Besides video’s also listen to Yotam Silberstein’s latest CD. He is playing a Westville Solar with figured hard maple/spruce plywood top, and a figured hard maple plywood back.

Edit: Listen also to Tom Harrell's new CD 'Infinity', with Charles Altura playing a Westville guitar.
    Which Westville model do you own? Did you happen to see the Westville Grande?

User Info Menu

The Grande is pretty new and wasn't available as a production model the first time I was there. But I have tried the prototype. An amazing guitar if you like that typical Kenny Burrell sound. I think the prototype is still available for a discounted price. I didn't want a 17" archtop and decided for the 15" Corona Special YO with solid spruce top, floating pickup and split coil.

User Info Menu

I've never tried a Westville or AT but i did play (and had) some Moffa/Schottmüller guitars. They really sound nice and have this direct jazz sound. Moffa has this warm sound while Schottmüller has a more modern sound to my ears when i compare both. The way they built is also somewhat different.
    For Jesse, i had the opportunity to see him play quite a lot and had the chance to talk to him. No matter what he plays it always sounds amazing!
    I think the model Jesse plays is a laminated model so if you would go for Moffa or Schottmüller you would have a handcarved guitar. There is somewhat a difference in sound (and price).
    I can always give you some information about these 2 European builders, just hit me with a PM!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Those Charlie Christian ones are purrty
    yeah very nice and the Barney style ones too

User Info Menu

I'm in talks with Masaki on ordering and shipping an AT130 or an AT105 (both same price on Reverb) to Melbourne Australia!

I wanted the Seventy Seven Hawk or Exrubato Jazz, but it's just a bit too expensive for me right now, and being a non-jazz guitarist (I come from blues background), and not earning anything from playing in church, these guitars are the best I can afford, in terms of a high quality Archtop guitar..

Those who have an Archtop Tribute, what can I expect? I love my Telecasters, and I'm playing them exclusively, but archtop guitars have always been dream guitars for me, and the allure of old-world feel, construction and tone is what draws me to them!

I really hope this pushes through!

User Info Menu

Never played an Archtop Tribute but ordered a guitar from Masaki and the transaction was perfect!

User Info Menu

I literally sold my Gibson ES-165 after receiving my AT-105 - it was that good

I also have an ATC Charlie Christian model that is great sounding - Masaki is a nice guy too!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tfling
    I literally sold my Gibson ES-165 after receiving my AT-105 - it was that good

I also have an ATC Charlie Christian model that is great sounding - Masaki is a nice guy too!
    man! You’re making me sooo excited.

at the moment, Im still deciding between the 130 and the 105. I really really wish the 105 also came with 2-p90 pickup configuration, ala ES-295. But what I’m getting from Masaki is that they wont do a custom order for this one.

so, the 130 is still my top choice. If I can only order a 105 with 2-P90 and a custom color option for a Gold one, my ES-295 dreams will be fulfilled! Lol

User Info Menu

Loving the look of their ES150 style guitars

User Info Menu

In real they are even more beautiful...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stevus
    In real they are even more beautiful...
    There's not enough photos on the internet!!

Theres a AT150CC near me thats selling for a good price, but still expensive for me and I have to get rid 2-3 guitars for it.. I dont like selling the gears I use for gigs but I cant see any used ones here in Melbourne, so will have to take a chance on buying new..

User Info Menu

I have to admit that these Archtop Tributes sound great on YouTube videos:

User Info Menu

I've been watching this on and off, and have re-watched it countless times.. I love the tone! and even AT130 videos, these are making it harder to decide for me. Haha