The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 36 of 36

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft
    Hi John. I was kinda hoping somebody would pick that up. Nice to meet you. If you were there a lot in the 80's then we were in that room together more than once. Big room though!

I didn't lose a dime playing pool. I did buy a lot of table time for Rebel, Skeeter and The Prince though. I think you know how that works. I always thought of it as tuition. I liked 14:1 but they wouldn't play that cause 'it takes too long'. They taught 9-ball exclusively. I also spent some time with that guy (Judge?) who didn't play anything but one pocket. Weird game...

Playing an SG and playing pool have a lot in common, so this is not at all off topic They both require a fine blend of physical, mental and emotional talent, and it's amazing what some can do. Didn't take me too long to realize there's not enough hours in the day to get good at both.

Charles
    My father and a friend of his were regulars and I started tagging along toward the end of high school, 1980-ish. My dad's friend was a guy named Larry who was a serious 3-cushion player, backed some money players, and wound up investing in some pool halls outside Manhattan.

He was (still is) kind a of a scruffy guy with a ponytail and a custom stick. He's actually a CPA, and very interesting guy, but does not look the part. My dad was a pipe-smoking Econ professor with a Willie Hoppe stick (which I still have). They were quite a pair, the pool hustling economist and accountant, and it was as much about hanging out as it was about pool.

Struck out on my own a bit later, and played a lot through the early 90s, but never was better than mediocre. Wound up playing more at Tek, and then Chelsea, but Julian's was always the classic spot. I like straight pool best, but it was hard to get anybody to play anything but 9-ball.

i know what you mean about tuition. A lot of the money players would be happy to show you stuff as long as you paid for the table and bet a nominal amount. I always got a chuckle out of people trying to hustle me -
    lemonading was pretty obvious..

John

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Yeah. Towards the end Julian's was pretty ragged. I played Chelsea now and then. Mostly I was at some place up by the Flatiron, and someplace south of Julian's...seems like around Astor Place or something. Saw Ginky there a few times. Loved it when I happened to land at Chelsea when Mikula was running his racks. Nice to see how the game's supposed to look. Straight was my game too.

High-point of my 'career' was when I ran into Rebel a few years after the incident I quoted above. He was getting slightly nervous at one point. "Wow.... you got a LOT better." In the end I paid for the table. Still got the Huebler I was using at the time.

Thanks for the memories!

Later,
    chas.

User Info Menu

Great video, informative and entertaining.

User Info Menu

I bought an SG Special new, back in 1991. Gets a great jazz tone and has its own thing going on.

Mine isn't neck heavy and overall it's quite versitile.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flat
    I had never heard of Corey before--but I'm definitely gonna take a listen now. That clip was great! Thanks, amigos!

User Info Menu

Thanks so much Fep. Engine Swap - actually mine isn't unreasonably neck heavy either. I think I particularly like the thin body of the SG and how it vibrates. Not quite as much sustain as a Les Paul, which makes it a nice compromise if you like bolt-on neck construction or semihollows.

I think I might try tapewounds or something obnoxious on it, just for fun.

Gibson finally wrote back to me today. They gave me a list of warranty centers in my area that I can take the guitar to. The repairmen will evaluate it and deem if it'll be covered under warranty. Unfortunately most of these places are Guitar Centers. I'm going to have to go pretty far out of my way to avoid screwdriver-happy teenagers with a guitar repair aspiration :/

User Info Menu

Any info on SG neckdive is it certain models, i saw an ad on a site last week and they mentioned the HP-11 has a thicker body, & Classic 57, i would be interested, but dont like any neck dive at all.

User Info Menu

The great and grossly under-rated English guitarist Ollie Halsall used SG's for most of his career. He was a member of the (very jazz-influenced) band Patto in the early '70s, and went on to play in various bands including a spell in Tempest with Alan Holdsworth, then moved to Spain where he worked for years as a session player until his untimely death in the '90s. He was heavily featured in Patto, and was revered by his fellow musicians, but never really achieved major success with the public. This is what he sounded like - if you don't want to hear the whole song, go to around 5.55 -

User Info Menu

I saw Tempest in their debut concert at London's Queen Elizabeth Hall in May 1973, with both Ollie Halsall and Allan Holdsworth in the band. I had previously seen Ollie with Patto numerous times in London, but it was the first time seeing Allan. Ollie was playing his SG Custom, while Allan was playing an ES-330. Needless to say, there were a lot extremely rapid legato lines flying around Queen Elizabeth Hall that night.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Not really jazz, but this guy used to tear it up on his:
    Attachment 60950

And if you just want to monkey around with one,

Attachment 60951
    I have been gassing for a LP or SG (what I can afford versus what credit availability I have available on my GC Gear Card) and came across this thread.

Terry Kath’s favorite guitar was that SG. It got smashed when stage lighting fell on it. He salvaged the neck pup and installed in it in his “Pignose Tele”.

Playing Jazz on a Gibson SG-7582a7b7-22cd-4f26-861e-058b32b24f65-jpg

While Kath’s Tele gets a lot of attention in his biopic and the internet, the three times I saw him he played a LP Recording, which is what Les was playing when I saw him at Fat Tuesdays. Regardless, I need some Gas-X or I will certainly be getting an SG which is a guitar I have intermittently been gassing for since ‘69. I could not afford it at age fourteen and really cannot afford it at 65.

User Info Menu

Years ago, I was moving a lot and didn't have a guitar with me, and borrowed an SG to play jazz gigs, I loved it for jazz, it sounded wonderful.. I actually offered to buy it from my friend, but he didn't want to sell, it was such a nice guitar, and the jazz tone, even with .010s was really nice... It had regular humbuckers, the mini humbuckers are a bit brighter, but still work well I'm sure