The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

I have a 68 Greco "Barney Lopez" (copies features of both the Gibson Barney Kessel and Trini Lopez) and I want to replace the humbucker-size pickups. I'm thinking Seymour Duncan Seth Lover... Any of you like/dislike this pickup? Any other suggestions? ( I know Jack uses Gibson Burstbuckers in his real Gibson Barney Kessel and really like 'em...)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I think the Seth Lover's would be a fine choice.

"Barney Lopez." Lol. My grandma's neighbor across the alley when I was growing up was named Bernie Lopez. Just made me think of that.

User Info Menu

i hate seth lovers. My '63 BK has burstbucker pros in it and sounds like a 60 year old instrument.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    i hate seth lovers. My '63 BK has burstbucker pros in it and sounds like a 60 year old instrument.
    WOW! First negative opinion on the SL's I've ever heard or read. Well, different strokes.

User Info Menu

Thanks all for your thoughts. I chew on this a bit... Meanwhile, if anyone else has an opinion or suggestion, please post!

User Info Menu

I don’t currently have a guitar with them but I have put burstbuckers in preciously owned guitars and think they are great pickups and very well suited towards jazz and recommend them. Lollar has some good options too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

My '63 BK has burstbucker pros in it and sounds like a 60 year old instrument.
    Jack, what happened to the original p'ups of the BK? Being a '63, I think they may've been PAFs, am I wrong?

User Info Menu

Funny, I R-E-A-L-L-Y don't care for BB's (or SD "Jazz") most anything else even Ibanez S-58's I'd stick with, go figure :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LtKojak
    Jack, what happened to the original p'ups of the BK? Being a '63, I think they may've been PAFs, am I wrong?
    Probably not, maybe 1is a PAF if lucky
    Nickel PAFS usually gone by '63.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Probably not, maybe 1is a PAF if lucky
    Nickel PAFS usually gone by '63.
    Well, I didn't remember the BK was nickel, I was under the impression it was gold, and I've records of PAFs on archtops as late as a '65 ES-355. So, they most probably were early sticker Pat#, which at the time were PAFs wound with a winding machine upgraded with a stop counter set @ precisely 5,000 turns.
    All the PAF tone with a much smaller price tag.

User Info Menu

Just thought I'd give you a quick update on my Greco Barney Lopez...

I sent a request to 902D (which makes wiring harness) for a price to get pots, switches, etc., to re-gut my guitar. The current wiring is from 1968 Greco-Japan and I think it can be improved with a new setup. I'm not quite sure which pickups yet. Being that this a just-for-fun guitar project, I'm not looking at spending too much moola on the PUs.

Meanwhile, having some time today, I pulled out the soldering gun and dug up and installed a couple of old Gibson PUs I had laying around the house. The neck PU is an original PAF, and the bridge PU is a mid-70s T-top. As might be expected, the PAF sounds great -- the T-Top not so good. I might consider keeping the PAF in the guitar and just adding a different bridge PU. (Any ideas, anyone?)

I also changed out the original machine heads which, while looking very cool, were long in the tooth. Again, I had some Klusons laying around so I used 'em and they worked out fine. Down the road, I'll probably change them out for a gold set of maybe waffle-backs but for now I'm cool.

It funny because what got me going on this project was -- are you ready? A pair of shoes!
    I found these funky cool 70's disco shoes and I thought they would look great with the Barney Lopez, so I had to get the guitar to gig-playing condition. And here we thought a fedora and Django moustache was going over the top...
    Attached Images Attached Images Pickups suggestions for Greco Trini Lopez/Barney Kessel?-img_4880-jpg 

User Info Menu

What is the second pickup selector for? A kill switch? Non functional for symmetry?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Both switches are 3-selector types. One for pickup selection: front, front/back, and back pickup. The other is like a 3-selector varitone eq to to select/empahsize low, normal and high. Doesn't really make much difference. Like you said, -- mostly for looks!