The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 52 of 52

User Info Menu

Well, there is a big difference. Today the tube arrived and what a difference to the el84! Koch states that once the volume is after 3, it should break up a little and more if you turn the volume up. With the el84 in it, that didn't really happen. In the end it broke, but the sound got a bit muddy. With the 6V6 it starts breaking up slightly and if you turn on the volume it breaks up more. With the gain boost, it's a really nice gentle overdrive!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

This appears to be the only place on the internet with people having some hands-on experience with Koch amps. I'm looking for a home practice amp. Until now I only played through headphones using an HX Stomp. I'm mostly interested in blues and some jazz/fusion.

I've kind of narrowed it down to either of the Jupiter amps since they seem versatile and because of the solid state power stage they appear easier to tame, volume wise. Reading this thread though, Classic SE6 picked my interest. They're roughly in the same price range and I'm thinking the 2W setting could be manageable in a home environment.

However I never owned a guitar amp so my question is: would I be missing anything in terms of dynamics and feel by going with the Jupiter instead of the SE6? I'm inching towards the Jupiter because it seems to me it has more features, probably is more manageable at low volumes, it has an effects loop that would work great with my HX Stomp, seemingly you can get more tones out of it. But I'm wondering still if I would be missing out on the SE6.

Thank you!