The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Posts 126 to 136 of 136

User Info Menu

My dislike of the Les Paul does not make me a fogey. I play a Gibson L6-S, every day.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    My dislike of the Les Paul does not make me a fogey. I play a Gibson L6-S, every day.
    Cool I passed one up so that a friend could get it. Later he complained to me that he thought he paid too much. That'll teach me!

Does yours have the Varitone? If so, is it in stereo? Asking for a fiend.

User Info Menu

I had a black one. Was inspired by Craig Chaquico who played a natural one, quite well.

it was easier to schlepp to class at Dick Grove’s than my L5CES.

pics please.

User Info Menu

The L6-S was the first electric guitar I ever bought. I just couldn't get on with it. I'm not sure why. I had been playing a Martin D-28 for years. The acoustic-electric gulf was just too wide. Everything maple. Everything so rock hard. Body, neck. It had the chickenhead pickup selector. Add in a little Peavey amp and my lack of knowledge about how to deal with an electric...

I swapped it plus $75 for a 1958 ES-225 that I still have today, 40 years on. I was on my way south to GIT, needed an electric for school, and the 225 just seemed like a better fit, a little more like the ES-175 I saw Metheny playing. What did I know.

Weirdly, I think I might like the L6-S a little better today. Might know better how to deal with it. What was I thinking?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Donplaysguitar

it was easier to schlepp to class at Dick Grove’s than my L5CES.
    When were you at Dick Grove’s, Don P G? I used to copy charts for some of the students there in the 80s.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    Does yours have the Varitone? If so, is it in stereo? Asking for a fiend.
    Yes, but it is not a Varitone. It is a six-position phase switch:

Gibson Les Paul - What well-known jazz guitar players have used one?-screenshot-2021-09-12-11-18-48-am-png

User Info Menu

Thanks for the clarification!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    no sparkle
    "Sparkle" is one of those words I associate with distortion in general and shiny new round wounds in particular. Stratocasters also come to mind and certain amps...

Jazz tone...I was playing a P-90 into this amp yesterday, Twin Reverb silverface-ish concept of sorts. I had to cut amp treble down to zero (!) still couldn't tame thin plinkiness and couldn't hit my fat and creamy notes.

There's something intriguing about amp eras:
    In the beginning there were Tweeds. Then Marshalls, Blackface, Silverface, Solid states, increasing output and clean headroom. Enter the 80s and channel switcher high powered tube amps, the 90s and an new interest in vintage amps. In the last 20 years development has primarily been about modelers, attenuators and low watt amps.

Each era having its distinctive sound subject to gear introduced (technology push) and requirements of influential artist (demand pull). Some amps just don't do Jazz very well, but they sure can sparkle.

For some reason many people think that Marshalls and Les Pauls stick like "white on rice" (a saying from the ole 70s) but then these people don't have Jazz in mind and they won't mind the sparkle.

User Info Menu

Yes, but it is not a Varitone. It is a six-position phase switch:

Gibson Les Paul - What well-known jazz guitar players have used one?-screenshot-2021-09-12-11-18-48-am-png
    I had a 1977 L6-S Custom in sunburst. One I certainly regret selling at times.
    The Bill Lawrence humbuckers were outstanding.
    The only thing I didn't like was the 24 fret fingerboard. It meant the neck pickup never sounded quite as rich as it could have. If it had a 22 fret fingerboard and the neck pickup that little bit further away from the bridge, it would have been perfect.
    I traded it for a Les Paul Recording, which has a better neck pickup sound, is just as versatile, but isn't anywhere near as comfortable to play.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by starjasmine
    Yeah, that was one of the main reasons I ditched my LP Custom for a Deluxe. Even with a big strap, my left shoulder would be incredibly sore after a gig... the Deluxe, while lighter than the Custom, is still a lot heavier than a hollowbody.

Why is a Deluxe lighter than a Custom?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Why is a Deluxe lighter than a Custom?
    Ebony fingerboard and the weight of History.

Oh, yeah, my '68 Custom was burdened with 16 tons of after-market Bigsby, which doesn't really count.

The classic black LP Custom is still a mighty elegant piece of eye-and-ear candy in my book.