Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 101 to 118 of 118
  1. #101

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by guavajelly
    Don't get me wrong, I admire Ulf Wakenius. And I like that he always plays his budget friendly guitar. But with this kind of tone, with all the treble rolled off, it doesn't really matter which guitar he plays.
    agree, no sparkle, sounds like someone threw a blanket on his amp.
    but Ulf's an outstanding player, maybe that's his preference or maybe just this particular live performance came out that way [not always easy to dial in your sound on these kind of gigs]

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #102

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Kmatuhin
    Ulf Wakenius on les paul studio

  4. #103

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    agree, no sparkle, sounds like someone threw a blanket on his amp.
    but Ulf's an outstanding player, maybe that's his preference or maybe just this particular live performance came out that way [not always easy to dial in your sound on these kind of gigs]

    Nah .... He always sounds like that in my experience ... Absolutely stellar player tho


  5. #104

    User Info Menu

    The bassist isn't bad.

  6. #105

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by GaloDeBarcelos
    Well, I quite enjoy this tone


  7. #106

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    agree, no sparkle, sounds like someone threw a blanket on his amp.
    but Ulf's an outstanding player, maybe that's his preference or maybe just this particular live performance came out that way [not always easy to dial in your sound on these kind of gigs]
    I think he deliberately sounds like he does. In no way do I want to belittle his playing and not even his tone. He's totally recognisable.
    What I wanted to point out is that with this kind of treble roll-off and mid emphasizing the quality of the guitar seems to become deniable. I mean after all he bought that Aria Pro II for $100. That's a guitar most forum members here wouldn't even consider as backup. And he's touring round the world with it playing festivals and theatres.
    BTW: proof that guitar tone is in the hands...
    And BTW he also seems to play a Benedetto lately – with a completely different tone. Ulf Wakenius | Benedetto Guitars

    Now playing like him – THAT's the hard part! ;-)

  8. #107

    User Info Menu

    Here's someone you should all know, Gary Boyle, with his band Isotope:


  9. #108

    User Info Menu

    Gibson Les Paul - What well-known jazz guitar players have used one?-thumbnail_grant-green-mit-les-paul-001-jpg

  10. #109

    User Info Menu

    Some Les Paul love...
    Gibson Les Paul - What well-known jazz guitar players have used one?-les-pauls-jpg

  11. #110

    User Info Menu

    First Mahavishnu album

  12. #111

    User Info Menu

    If Larry Carlton counts for jazz, here he is playing a Les Paul. Are those P90s? That's a tone with less low end and mids for a neck humbucker pickup. Could be done with eq though.
    Last edited by fep; 03-02-2021 at 07:17 PM.

  13. #112

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by djg
    Gibson Les Paul - What well-known jazz guitar players have used one?-thumbnail_grant-green-mit-les-paul-001-jpg
    Which album is that? The resolution of the pic doesn't allow me to read all the titles, Jack McDuff's Honeydripper has only six tracks – Grant Green sounds like himself on that wether he played the ES 330 or a Les Paul ...

  14. #113

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by guavajelly
    Which album is that? The resolution of the pic doesn't allow me to read all the titles, Jack McDuff's Honeydripper has only six tracks – Grant Green sounds like himself on that wether he played the ES 330 or a Les Paul ...
    i dont think there is a recording of grant with the les paul

    this is the record (not pink panther as the youtube vid claims)

    Goodnight, It's Time to Go - Wikipedia




  15. #114

    User Info Menu

    Pat Martino started out on what would be a Les Paul Standard and switched up to a Les Paul Custom which he played during the early to mid 60's with Jack McDuff and Willis Jackson. His Les Paul Custom was stolen and he switched to archtops etc.

  16. #115

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by fep
    If Larry Carlton counts for jazz, here he is playing a Les Paul. Are those P90s? That's a tone with less low end and mids for a neck humbucker pickup. Could be done with eq though.
    That looks, color aside, like my '55/'78 "reissue. If so, it's a one-piece mahogany body and one-piece neck and P-90s. A very comfortable and eminently playable tone machine.

  17. #116

    User Info Menu

    The top of LC's Lester looks flat under those lights, anyway. And yes, soapbar P90s are what those seem to be.

  18. #117

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    The top of LC's Lester looks flat under those lights, anyway. And yes, soapbar P90s are what those seem to be.
    It's a Les Paul Special.

  19. #118

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Here's someone you should all know, Gary Boyle, with his band Isotope:

    I’ve got an Isotope CD. Hugh Hopper was on bass for the session. Boyle was playing an early P90 and Alnico staple equipped LP Custom. Great tone.