The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 99

User Info Menu

Am I the only one who does not like the Godin, 5th Ave guitars. I see nothing but love for them on this forum but to me they sound like cardboard boxes with strings on them. Just awful.
    I think they are fine if you are looking for an entry level archtop. But, I could not imagine ever owning one if I wanted to enjoy hearing what I play.

Please note, I do like Godin as a company and am glad a Canadian company is doing well, and getting people to play archtops.
    Last edited by Littlemark; 03-16-2019 at 04:36 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

What are you comparing them to?

User Info Menu

I think this sounds pretty good actually.

User Info Menu

I didn't like the flat radius, otherwise a good guitar.

User Info Menu

Good job Jim
    a slight imbalance in the mids ?

User Info Menu

I tried playing one at CME a few years ago and the frets seemed rough and unfinished to me.

User Info Menu

They use cherry for back and sides. I used to have a cheap Simon & Patrick acoustic guitar (same company) that also used cherry for back and sides. It did have a bit of a cardboardy sound. When I tried a 5th avenue at a store, acoustically it also had that exact same sound. I think it's the sound of cherry, there is a definite cardboard quality to it IMO. But 5th avenue sounded pretty OK through the amp. However if I owned one, I would've perhaps eventually start hearing that sound of cherry wood through the amp as well. That would annoy me just because now I associate the sound of cherry with cheap guitars.

User Info Menu

Quand nous chanterons le temps des cerises
    Sifflera bien mieux le merle moqueur ...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gobi34
    Quand nous chanterons le temps des cerises
    Sifflera bien mieux le merle moqueur ...
    Google translate:
    When we sing cherry time
    Will hiss the blackbird better ...

User Info Menu

nothing personal,
    Le temps des cerises is a French song related to the 1871 revolution attempt

User Info Menu

nothing personal,
    Le temps des cerises is a French song related to the 1871 revolution attempt
    I git it -- cherry wood.

Now Mahogany/mahagonny...

User Info Menu

When it comes to lyrics, I would not trust Google
    my personal translation would be
    "will whistle the mocking blackbird better"

User Info Menu

Good job Jim
    a slight imbalance in the mids ?
    Now that I hear it on a decent pair of speakers it's more like an overwhelming bass. I should probably try re-mixing it and see what it sounds like.

I suppose I'm comparing it to ES 150s or the loar vs300 I have. Single pickup archtops really. But even compared to the new epi archtops they still lack lustre.

Are you implying I'm starting a failed revolution

User Info Menu

I haven't tried the Loar VS300, but I had an LH309VS and the sound was severely lacking compared to my Godin 5th Avenue to my ears.

But, you like what you like and if the sound of a particular guitar doesn't please you, don't buy it.

FWIW, I sold the Loar but still have the Godin.

User Info Menu

I had an acoustic 5th Ave. Compared to the other laminates in that kinda price range I thought it sound the best .It was my first archtop and I was on a strict budget. I replace the pick guard as it was to thin and flimsy and bent to easily when I used it as an anchor which I do a lot. I replaced the bridge and saddle with a full contact rosewood and fitted it to the top which hugely improved the tone to my ears. I added a Shadow AZ48 floating pickup rather than get one with a pickup already installed as I didn't like the factory pickup as it sounded thin to me. I dressed/cleaned and polished up the fret ends they were annoying and rough out of the box. I think I squeezed everything I could get out of it and enjoyed it for a while but at the end of the day it lacked the nuance and complexity of tone and dynamic I was hoping for.

Will

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Littlemark
    I suppose I'm comparing it to ES 150s or the loar vs300 I have. Single pickup archtops really. But even compared to the new epi archtops they still lack lustre.
    I haven't played either one of those, so I can't comment on that comparison. I have a Kingpin -- acoustically, I like it because it fills a very particular need. The actual quality of the sound is pretty good (especially compared to most laminate electric archtops I've tried), but it is not as loud as a legit acoustic guitar. So I can practice with it unplugged and get (to me, anyway) an OK sound without bothering my family too much. So what you call its cardboard sound is more of a feature than a bug to me. Plugged in, I think it's a completely legit electric guitar. It's its own thing/flavor, and maybe not to everyone's taste, but I think it holds its own. When I play out with it, I get a lot of compliments from other musicians about its sound. I have other guitars, and it would not work for me if it were my only guitar, but I get a lot out of it. But we all have our own needs and tastes when it come to gear, and one person's trash is another's treasure.

John

User Info Menu

Yeah, I think if you compare it to a solid wood (or even solid topped) archtop, the sound isn't as good unplugged. But honestly, for what it is, a small laminated box--I think it sound a heck of a lot better unplugged than the other laminated guitars in it's price range (Epiphones, Ibanez, etc.)

As far as "lustre" goes, that's all the Epiphone "Masterbuilt" line has, in my opinion. I much prefer Epiphone's electric archtops (broadway, Joe Pass, etc.)

Plugged in, it's a P-90, and a pretty good one, imho. You either like that or not.

If we're comparing apples to apples, the single pickup Kingpin is most like an ES-125, and fares quite well in that comparison.

But hey, we all like different things. World keeps spinning.

User Info Menu

All 5th Avenues are amongst the most comfortable guitars to play, for me anyway, and they can sound great. Like any guitar, and more than most, 5th Avenues benefit from a really good setup.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Yeah, I think if you compare it to a solid wood (or even solid topped) archtop, the sound isn't as good unplugged. But honestly, for what it is, a small laminated box--I think it sound a heck of a lot better unplugged than the other laminated guitars in it's price range (Epiphones, Ibanez, etc.)

As far as "lustre" goes, that's all the Epiphone "Masterbuilt" line has, in my opinion. I much prefer Epiphone's electric archtops (broadway, Joe Pass, etc.)

Plugged in, it's a P-90, and a pretty good one, imho. You either like that or not.

If we're comparing apples to apples, the single pickup Kingpin is most like an ES-125, and fares quite well in that comparison.

But hey, we all like different things. World keeps spinning.
    Jeff nailed it, IMHO.
    I can't play like Jim, or Jeff, but the guitar in my avatar certainly works for me.

And I should add, I've always found the Kingpin II surprisingly lively for a laminated box with two pickups drilled into it. I got mine from Jay (Jehu on this forum) so it may be that he'd done some work to it before I received it, but the fretboard feels great, there's a liveliness to the unplugged sound as I mentioned, and it excels at a plugged-in sound in its price range, IMO. Of course, that's a different discussion re. the P90s...

User Info Menu

I too had lately an opportunity to try out the famous Kingpin. Second hand, very cheap. Very veeery beautiful! Gorgeous!

But when I changed the stock bridge to a brass TOM bridge I noticed that the original brigde – and the holder too – was plastic. No wonder that it sounded, uh, plasticky!

The brass bridge didn’t bring it alive for me. I didn’t have enough patience to buy and try ebony bridge and holder, I was too disappointed and I sold it for same price I bought it.

I hope everyone else have had better luck!

User Info Menu

I had one for a while, and thought it was a great guitar but the lack of cutaway and p90s ultimately didn't work out for me.

I thought it was a great playing guitar and that it sounded good too, just not the sound I wanted. Happier playing an Ibanez archtop (happier still playing a tele).

For a brief moment I had a Godin Glissentar. A fretless 11 string instrument that was a mix between a guitar and an oud. Now that thing was cool! The ebony neck and nylon strings felt amazing. But, I decided I didn't want to dedicate myself to that (and it was sitting unplayed too often) and let it go.

All that to say that even though I don't have a Godin now I think they're a really great company and make really great guitars.

User Info Menu

I'm surprised when I see how many pros use them as a working guitar. It makes me assume they are a basic dependable tool that gets the job done....as an electric jazz guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    I think this sounds pretty good actually.

Great playing there, Jim. I could never make a Godin sound this lively.

edit: That's not meant as a Godin dig - I just can't make 'em work in my hands.