The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 99
    From what I heard it didn't seem much louder.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Littlemark
    To be specific, the acoustic version. I edited the name of the thread to reflect that. I don't think Godin makes them anymore, that's why I got the name wrong.
    But they are essentially the same guitar.
    That's a totally different topic. Almost all of the success that the Kingpin lineup has enjoyed has been the electric versions. And no, once you mount a pickup and controls into a top, it is no longer the same guitar (even if the changes are mostly in perception).

User Info Menu

I like my Kingpin. It serves a specific role. I can happily take it places I'm not comfortable taking a carved solid wood archtop. And I think I'm gonna go all vintagey and try some flat wounds on it just to see what happens. In 50 years I don't think I've ever touched a flat wound string...

User Info Menu

To be specific, the acoustic version. I edited the name of the thread to reflect that. I don't think Godin makes them anymore, that's why I got the name wrong.
    But they are essentially the same guitar.
    As I mentioned before, I bought mine as the pure acoustic model and played it acoustically for three weeks before adding a pickup. I did this because I didn’t want a P90 (which I normally love, but not for this one) and because I wanted to be sure the guitar felt right. As a pure acoustic instrument is does not project sound like a solid top guitar (archtop or flattop) but with the heavier strings (12-53) it did really well. I put D’Addario chrome flatwounds on after I added the pickup and I actually like the unamplified sound a lot better. It also stays in tune better with those strings than with the acoustics that came with the instrument or the D’Addario roundwound jazz strings that I first tried (and didn’t like). I practice unamplified when it’s later in the evening and I don’t want to kee anyone up and still get asked to keep it down by the wife, so it’s loud enough.

That said, I don’t think I’d gig with it without plugging in, but it’s not trash unamplified. But with the right pickup/amp combination, the tone is purely magical to me. I love this thing. I posted a sound clip earlier with the roundwound strings and the SS Carvin MB-12 bass amp, and it does it hold a candle now to the floatwounds and the Magnatone. I know it seems odd that the Magnatone didn’t do well with the electrlyzed jazz strings but it was noisy before playing a single note (probably more due to proximity of the magnet since I added rubber washers to the pickup mount under the pickguard to increase the distance, but sine I did it the same time as my string change, I guess I’ll never truly know).

User Info Menu

So I put chromes on the Kingpin today and I like it even more. It's a fun change from my carved tops.

Gotta say I never had a proper set up done and the thing plays really nice. I can play real music on it. And it's black. What a bargain!

User Info Menu

I have a 5th Ave, the acoustic version. At some point I intend putting an old DeArmond "monkey on a stick" pickup on it to see what kind of sound it has when amplified, but I acquired it specifically for recording Freddie Green style rhythm parts. I had it for a month on trial from its previous owner, and had plenty of time to give it a thorough workout, and to compare it with other instruments. My initial impression was that it was brash and unsubtle, almost harsh in tone; however when I recorded it, the sound that came back through my speakers was exactly what I was looking for. It's also light in weight - important to me since I have longterm back problems - and for me, the neck is very comfortable to play. I'd searched from time to time over a period of several years for a guitar to use for that specific function, and my search is now over.

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    lol is that a phrase?!
    It's a phase. I'm just going through a phase...

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Am I the only one who does not like the Godin, 5th Ave guitars. I see nothing but love for them on this forum but to me they sound like cardboard boxes with strings on them. Just awful.
    I think they are fine if you are looking for an entry level archtop. But, I could not imagine ever owning one if I wanted to enjoy hearing what I play.

Please note, I do like Godin as a company and am glad a Canadian company is doing well, and getting people to play archtops.
    I guess you are an acoustic player. This guitar is supposed to be amplified and is capable of good Jazz tone; with a decent matching amp, it's all in your hands.

A P-90, a hollow box, a Trapeze TP and a good set-up is all I need.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Herbie
    I too had lately an opportunity to try out the famous Kingpin. Second hand, very cheap. Very veeery beautiful! Gorgeous!

But when I changed the stock bridge to a brass TOM bridge I noticed that the original brigde – and the holder too – was plastic. No wonder that it sounded, uh, plasticky!

The brass bridge didn’t bring it alive for me. I didn’t have enough patience to buy and try ebony bridge and holder, I was too disappointed and I sold it for same price I bought it.

I hope everyone else have had better luck!
    I believe the bridge is a Resomax archtop bridge by GraphTech. It is Tusq. Definitely not plastic. It is a high quality bridge. Just FYI.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gumbojoe8
    I believe the bridge is a Resomax archtop bridge by GraphTech. It is Tusq. Definitely not plastic. It is a high quality bridge. Just FYI.
    So I have been told. But my ears didn't like the sound of it, so what can You do!

Can change the guitar but can't change the ears!

User Info Menu

Sorry, as I progressed through the thread I saw someone already mentioned it. And yep, everyone's ear is different. Cheers and thanks for the reply.

User Info Menu

There's a Facebook ad close to where I live of someone selling the acoustic model for 280 €.. you can't really talk about these guitars disregarding their excellent price point.

User Info Menu

Tusq is plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumbojoe8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BickertRules
    Tusq is plastic.
    Actually, that's not quite correct. It is a resin derived from organic material (plant-based I presume), not from petrochemicals. (Plastics are resins--defined as a group of solid or semi-solid amorphous compounds--that are derived from petrochemicals.)

Plastics per se are generally "harder" and more brittle than resins. Resins are easier to shape and carve after hardening, plus more resonant, hence their use in guitar production.

User Info Menu

I've had a single PU, non-cutaway version for a dozen or so years. Pros: price/quality, looks, lightness, acoustic volume. Cons: P90 too shrill, noisy near the amp, sensitive to moisture changes, unsophisticated acoustic tone.

Very difficult to decide which strings to put on, had three sets during the first week. Outdoor gig under a tent on a rainy day made the neck swell so much it became unplayable. OTOH, louder acoustically than my occasional duo partner's hand-carved 17" archtop, at home in half-acoustic big-band comping.

User Info Menu

I liked mine enough to gift it to my grandson.

DaShigsta Guest
    1st world problems...

A good set up and you're good to go... perfect beginner's instruments.

And if you can play like Sylvain no need to diss Godin.

User Info Menu

He is an official Godin endorser though, he gets paid to play and advertise them..

User Info Menu

I have loved mine, but looking to go back to solid body only.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DaShigsta
    1st world problems...

A good set up and you're good to go... perfect beginner's instruments.

And if you can play like Sylvain no need to diss Godin.

That is the Jazz model that I had. See how he can't really go past the 12th fret because of the neck joint? That was one of my main issues with this model.

User Info Menu

I have a Jazz and I have no problem going past the 12th fret. Sylvain Luc does not seem to either.

User Info Menu

I like it. Has its style and vibe, but I realized this only after changing from flatwounds to roundwounds

User Info Menu

I like the way my 5th Avenue sounds, but lately my hands have started hurting when I play it. I don’t get that with my Martin flattop. And I am saving to get back into a solid body.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joelf
    And I don't like Gibson 175s or L5s---and people swear by them.

One man's meat...
    Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    lol is that a phrase?!
    no, it is just a reflection on a boring night in the city... where are the good old days...

... I hope I did not break any rules and I am just being funny... what is that other word for funny, you know that one that is just not straight sounding...