The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 99 of 99

User Info Menu

Check out the tone he's getting here, amazing. This is what convinced me to get one

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

I'm going to remind everyone, this thread is about the acoustic version. Not ones with pickups.

User Info Menu

I started with the acoustic version and electrified mine with a floating CC pickup, does that count. Besides, the neck ergonomics are the same for the acoustic, Kingpin, and Kingpin II (aside from the cutaway).

Am I the only one that doesn't like the Godin 5th Avenue?-3d0f7a83-6e3e-43b6-b99c-538bf187c43b-jpeg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by zcostilla; 02-11-2021 at 12:04 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chazmo
    I have a Jazz and I have no problem going past the 12th fret. Sylvain Luc does not seem to either.
    I forgot the obligatory YMMV.

User Info Menu

I had a Godin 5th avenue, the acoustic non-cutaway model. I put a Vintage Vibe floating CC pickup on it.
    For a small bodied laminated guitar the acoustic sound was pretty good - that translated to a nice airy amplified sound. Not as feedback resistant as something like an ES175 but lots more acoustic presence.

I sold mine as I found the 16" fingerboard radius combined with the very small frets uncomfortable to play. Despite that, if the person who I sold it to ever wanted to part with it, I'd gladly take it back again.

User Info Menu

Acoustic 5th ave has a pleasing but quiet acoustic voice. Utterly useless for acoustic ensemble playing with anything other than other Godin 5th Avenues (IIRC it’s quieter than a comparable flat top). Great with a pickup and I daresay mikes well which might actually make it more practical for both recording and live work (whatever that is) than a proper acoustic cannon if you get a good mic.

The Epiphone Masterbilts work quite well for acoustic playing. I was quite impressed.

User Info Menu

I'm looking to get an inexpensive second hand archtop as an alternative to my ESP telecaster, just because I'm intrigued.
    So, as an introduction to the world of hollow body jazz guitars, do you think that it is worth the purchase compared to a similarly priced: Ibanez AF51 (floating pickup), Ibanez AF75, Epiphone Joe Pass Emperor II or a Washburn Oscar Schmidt OE40 (although I think this last one is a semi-hollow) that are all available second hand around my area in Europe?

It depends on what you want.
    This thread was supposed to be about the acoustic version. Those other guitars are not acoustic archtops.

To really like that they are made in Canada as opposed to the far East.
    Last edited by Littlemark; 04-11-2021 at 11:02 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Grigoris
    I'm looking to get an inexpensive second hand archtop as an alternative to my ESP telecaster, just because I'm intrigued.
    So, as an introduction to the world of hollow body jazz guitars, do you think that it is worth the purchase compared to a similarly priced: Ibanez AF51 (floating pickup), Ibanez AF75, Epiphone Joe Pass Emperor II or a Washburn Oscar Schmidt OE40 (although I think this last one is a semi-hollow) that are all available second hand around my area in Europe?
    What sort of sound do you want? Any guitarists whose tone you like in particular?

User Info Menu

JMO the Godin is better made and better sounding acoustically than any of those. Electrified, YMMV—I like the Joe Pass, especially with good pickups.

But the Godin has a great tone with the P90’s. I have a floating pickup on my 5th Avenue, but wish I had another Kingpin with the P90. It’s got a cool vibe.

User Info Menu

Well, I am new to jazz, I play classical, so I don't really have many references yet.
    I think something approximating the sound of Barney Kessel for example, maybe a bit darker still?
    Don't want bright tones, maybe you guys could in fact point me to a relevant guitarist for reference?

User Info Menu

Also, I'm most comfortable when I play with fingers, so maybe Joe Pass style?
    I am getting myself a Roland Cube 20 from 1982, in the orange box.
    Does it pair well with any of the above mentioned archtops for a classic old school style? (I know I'm being very vague, apologies)

User Info Menu

Also, I'm most comfortable when I play with fingers, so maybe Joe Pass style?
    I am getting myself a Roland Cube 20 from 1982, in the orange box.
    Does it pair well with any of the above mentioned archtops for a classic old school style? (I know I'm being very vague, apologies)
    I would say one of the Ibanez's might be your thing?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by consumerduck
    I love my single p-90 kingpin. Been gigging and playing it with my band for at least 8 years. I love the stock pickup and see no reason to change. It’s been set up with my preferred a bit higher than normal action. It plays, sounds and looks great.

Here’s a recent live improv with cool video editing and a live artist drawing (and drinking and later singing).

Hi, C,
    Break out the *Ripple . . . light some incense . . . and let's burn one!
    Play live . . . Man . . . Play live . . . Marinero

• Ripple was a fortified and carbonated wine[7] that was popular in the United States, particularly in the 1970s (and made famous by Fred G. Sanford of Sanford and Son). Possessing a low 11% ABV (lower than modern table wines), it was originally marketed to "casual" drinkers.[8] Due to its low price, it gained a negative reputation as a drink for destitute alcoholics. It was popular among young drinkers, both underage and college students, due to its low price. It was later replaced with Boone's Farm.[9]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zcostilla
    Wow!

I like this Godin better!
    Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Littlemark
    This thread was supposed to be about the acoustic version. Those other guitars are not acoustic archtops.
    For what it's worth, that was not at all clear from your original post. Most of us who have praised these guitars in the past were referring to our experiences with the electric versions so that's what we responded to.

User Info Menu

Well, I am new to jazz, I play classical, so I don't really have many references yet.
    I think something approximating the sound of Barney Kessel for example, maybe a bit darker still?
    Don't want bright tones, maybe you guys could in fact point me to a relevant guitarist for reference?
    Kessel usually had a pretty bright tone (sometimes very bright and piercing). Having had one I'd say you'd get closer to that with a Godin Kingpin than with the other guitars you listed because a P90 pickup comes much closer to the sound of the Charlie Christian pickup Kessel used than does any flavor of humbucker.

For an example of a darker tone, I'd cite Pat Metheny on one of his small-group recordings (e.g., Question and Answer) or Adam Rogers. Lage Lund also has what I consider to be a dark tone. You can get a dark or a bright tone out of any guitar via tone control adjustments on guitar and amp.

Out of the ones you listed, I've only played the Godin and the Epi Joe Pass. They're both good guitars that you can get a lot out of. The Godin is probably going to feel a little more familiar to a classical player because of the flatter fretboard and smaller frets, but whether that's a good or a bad thing is subjective. The Epi is a little more versatile, and the humbucking pickups won't buzz the way the P90s will.

Honestly, it's almost impossible to recommend something to someone who doesn't yet have much familiarity with the gamut of electric guitar sounds. For all of us, it's trial and error. For your first archtop, you kind of have to just take the plunge and try one figure out whether you like it, and move on if you don't.

John

User Info Menu

I tried a Godin in a music store a few years ago, and was underwhelmed. I wanted to like it, but I just couldn't.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Kessel usually had a pretty bright tone (sometimes very bright and piercing). Having had one I'd say you'd get closer to that with a Godin Kingpin than with the other guitars you listed because a P90 pickup comes much closer to the sound of the Charlie Christian pickup Kessel used than does any flavor of humbucker.

For an example of a darker tone, I'd cite Pat Metheny on one of his small-group recordings (e.g., Question and Answer) or Adam Rogers. Lage Lund also has what I consider to be a dark tone. You can get a dark or a bright tone out of any guitar via tone control adjustments on guitar and amp.

Out of the ones you listed, I've only played the Godin and the Epi Joe Pass. They're both good guitars that you can get a lot out of. The Godin is probably going to feel a little more familiar to a classical player because of the flatter fretboard and smaller frets, but whether that's a good or a bad thing is subjective. The Epi is a little more versatile, and the humbucking pickups won't buzz the way the P90s will.

Honestly, it's almost impossible to recommend something to someone who doesn't yet have much familiarity with the gamut of electric guitar sounds. For all of us, it's trial and error. For your first archtop, you kind of have to just take the plunge and try one figure out whether you like it, and move on if you don't.

John
    Thanks for the references, I'm really liking Pat Metheny, I recently got his last album (Road to the Sun) on LP vinyl which he made with Jason Vieaux - a classical guitarist and the Los Angeles Guitar Quartet.

Someone posted this on another thread earlier

I guess this is the kind of sound I was after, maybe it doesn't classify as dark enough? The other examples John gave certainly sounded a lot fatter and darker.

User Info Menu

Funny how many mentioned the Joe Pass.

I only have experience (though quite a bit and all rather good) with the earlier Korean versions and a few drive by demos of the various Godin models and I could not put any Godin in the same class as the JP. Different animals.

So far I've not (of the couple of models I tried) played a Godin I liked. It's been a while since I played one but my retained impressions of them they are thin sounding and not a joy to play. I guess I "could" get used to playing one but why? Anyway, The finish also rubs me wrong. I never owned one.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI
    Funny how many mentioned the Joe Pass.

I only have experience (though quite a bit and all rather good) with the earlier Korean versions and a few drive by demos of the various Godin models and I could not put any Godin in the same class as the JP. Different animals.

So far I've not (of the couple of models I tried) played a Godin I liked. It's been a while since I played one but my retained impressions of them they are thin sounding and not a joy to play. I guess I "could" get used to playing one but why? Anyway, The finish also rubs me wrong. I never owned one.
    I think it's one of thse cases where it depends on what you're looking for. The Kingpin archtops certainly have a thinner sound than most of the better Asian archtops but they also have a lighter, and I think more responsive build. They are certainly very different and are likely to appeal to different tastes.
    Last edited by Jim Soloway; 04-12-2021 at 09:31 PM.

User Info Menu

I think they sound great, but if you like shiny objects, I guess get an Ibanez?

User Info Menu

I get that the Kingpin has a cheap "student" instrument vibe. And there are some aspects of its construction that I don't love (but do tolerate). But, it's a very playable guitar that gets a good sound that I did not find thin at all.

It's kind of odd to be defending its honor, since I just gave mine away. But I got a huge amount of use out of it. I found it to have more character and subtleties than any of the other bargain archtops I've tried; some of the not-so-bargain ones as well. I like what I have now more, but if I had room, I'd gladly have kept it. It is both a beater/beach guitar, and a legitimately gigable jazz box, which is a rare thing.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    ...It is both a beater/beach guitar, and a legitimately gigable jazz box...John
    That right there. You said it better than I could.