Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 75

User Info Menu

This
    What ubiquitous iconic guitar have you NEVER played?-3-necks-jpeg
    and a Gretsch

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Iconic? Hmm? As I think back over the last 55 years of playing guitar, I realize that I have probably played nearly every guitar that could be described as iconic...even the Hagstrom I that Lawson pictures--I've owned one for 50 years.

Seriously, I've played all of the Fenders except the LTD...that's iconic, and one I haven't played. I've played all of the Gibsons that I can think of. I've played all of the Martins I can think of. Guilds, check. Gretsches, check.

Well, I've only played one D'Angelico--my first teacher's guitar. It was an old one, probably an A or Excel...don't recall, for sure, only that it sounded great. So, there are several D'Angelico's that I would like to try.

I have never played a D'Aquisto instrument. That's on my bucket list.

User Info Menu

Never played a Trenier but otherwise probably have all the archtops covered having been able to go the the Chinery Blue celebration with Bill HOllenbeck. Played all of the Blues and many others at Chinery's place. I have not been to Gruhn's in a long time I may need to plan a visit when weather breaks and take my bike do a ride-and-guitar overnite.

I guess like Lawson I have never played a 12 string Ric.

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    I have never played a genuine D'Aquisto, a Monteleone, a Borys or a Trenier. I have pretty much played all the rest from a Loar signed L-5 to a 1960 Blonde D'Angelico New Yorker.
    Well I hardly think of those as ubiquitous, not many people get the opportunity to play them. I was thinking more of the guitars that we ASSUME we have played at least once.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Well I hardly think of those as ubiquitous, not many people get the opportunity to play them. I was thinking more of the guitars that we ASSUME we have played at least once.
    Indeed. But threads about those makers guitars are ubiquitous, so I included them in my comment. I have played all of the truly ubiquitous guitars made and then some.

If I never get to play a Borys, Trenier or Monteleone, that is OK (I am curious about them, but none were played by my heroes). But I would like to play a genuine D'Aquisto before checking out. Joe Pass and Jim Hall (two of my guitar heroes) played these, so my curiosity level is very high. At their current prices, I can say with certainty that I will never own one.

User Info Menu

Mainly the fancy small luthier stuff like Monteleone, D'Angelico, Buscarino, etc.

I have played a Triggs and a Benedetto or two ... and own a Campellone

Same with solid bodies ... I think I've handle all of the iconic models at one time or another ... except maybe a Fender Jaguar

But very few of the high end small luthier solid bodies that the folks at TGP go bonkers over

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Or the big Gibson flattop with the moustache bridge, what's that one--the J-something?
    Most likely, J-200. There are also some variants (Everly Bros, J 150, J 185). I took some lessons in high school from Danny Kalb (NY blues legend) who had one. Between that and Gary Davis, in my head it's THE sound of acoustic blues.

John

User Info Menu

I’ve never played a Gibson L5, Super 400, or any other really fine vintage archtop. Nor have I ever played a Collings acoustic. I’ve played about every kind of electric guitar you can think of, vintage and modern, except the Parker Fly.

User Info Menu

I have not played more of the iconic jazz guitars than the ones I have. The opportunities for these things just don't come up very often here in flyover land. For example, I've never even seen an L-5 in person. The guitars that I really want to try are an early to mid 50s ES-175 with a P90, and an early 60s one with a PAF.

And Ed Bickert's Tele.

User Info Menu

Off the top of my head, I don't think I've ever played: any Rickenbacker, an Ibanez AS200 (several other Ibanez semis, though), Flying Vee, Explorer.

John

User Info Menu

If it's ubiquitous and iconic I've played it. I worked in a music store with lots of great guitars of every variety and brand in college, have been to a number of big guitar shows, and oh yeah, have been to Guitar Center many times.

The big guitar shows enable you to play some that are iconic - and not so ubiquitous. Like 1959 Les Pauls and ES-335s with PAF pickups, Bob made Benedetto Manhattans, fancy PRS private stock, and of course all the Gibsons, Fenders, and Martin's a person could ever dream of having. Going to one of the big shows can relieve some GAS pressure, while also building it up.

User Info Menu

I have never played an L5. In fact I'm not sure I have ever seen one in person. Not many live music venues around here, certainly none that offer Jazz. I can't say I have ever seen an L5 at the local Guitar Center.

User Info Menu

In terms of the big company names, a Strat. Never interested me right from the start and I fell in love with the Tele early on so just didn’t bother. A couple of the ones I would love to get my hands on are an es-300, es-125 or 120, es-330 - basically a nice p90 Gibson. I love the sound but for some reason just never found a P90 archtop for me.

If we are getting down to the individual makers,D’Angelico, D’Aquisto and the Luke I’ve never tried any of those either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

the D’As
    Monteleones, Treniers, Slaman I want to try.

User Info Menu

I've never played a Flying V, nor an L5 CES. The former because they're just ridiculous looking, the latter because they're not very common in Florida.

User Info Menu

I have a vintage Super 300/Dearmond FHC would love to try a vintage Super 400 to hear the difference.

Will

User Info Menu

I have never played a Super 400, but I do own a Super Eagle, which is close enough for me. The only guitar left on my bucket list is a “real” D’Angelico. I doubt that I’ll ever own one, but I’d love to try one.

I’ve never played a Radio Flyer but I saw Anthony Wilson’s from the front row. That was close enough. Made my upper lip sweat just to be that close to $75k guitar.

User Info Menu

I'm not sure if this fits the criteria but I've never played (or seen) a early 1930's 13 frets clear of the body Gibson Nick Lucas guitar. Preferably in Argentine Gray...
    Attached Images Attached Images What ubiquitous iconic guitar have you NEVER played?-32nick1-jpg 

User Info Menu

Never played a Les Paul. Used to have an SG. Wasn’t sad to let it go. For dual humbuckers on a slab I play my PRS Artist II. Not a favorite guitar, should let it go.

User Info Menu

I don't do any nylon string, banjo, mandolin or ukelele.

or anything over $4K That stuff is just outta my ball park.

User Info Menu

Anybody ever played one of these? My first electric, back in the 1960's, lost in the shuffle of college years and my dad moving, but I found this one recently and have loved it. Amazing, seriously, amazing neck, good pickups somewhere between a Strat and a P90. Quirky controls, but a fun whammy bar and totally cool color--front is acrylic, the back is red vinyl over plywood!

Feel like I should be playing "Dancing Queen" or something. The opening riff of the James Gang's "Walk Away" through the Monoprice 15 Watt tube amp really kills...

What ubiquitous iconic guitar have you NEVER played?-hagstrom-1-jpg

User Info Menu

I listed above L5 as one of the iconic guitars I've never played. That was yesterday. Today, that has changed. I joined the L5 club. Not the L5 owners club. "I have played an L5" club. Two pickup model. Surprised how none-acoustic the guitar is despite being fully hand carved. Electric sound though is just heavenly. So smooth and engaging. It really is the king of jazz guitars.

User Info Menu

A friend had a 53 Tele, I only played it for a few minutes, same w a Les Paul. I got a Strat in a trade once but sold it right away.
    Never had a desire to own a solidbody.

As for rare mid to high end vintage archtop guitars, I'm fortunate to have owned most except Gretches, but never a Stromberg or cutaway D'Angelico, and probably never will, though I've played those before.

User Info Menu

I have played an Argentine Grey Nick Lucas. It's an excellent flat top guitar for blues.

User Info Menu

I always wanted to try the Benedetto blue guitar and compare it to my Mortoro, a great acoustic archtop, the build mentored by Bob. They should be very similar.

What ubiquitous iconic guitar have you NEVER played?-tumblr_maolwcvg4f1ro9tqbo1_400-jpgWhat ubiquitous iconic guitar have you NEVER played?-fullsizeoutput_2e4-jpg

Edit: I guess I didn't read the title of the OP's post. Neither of these are ubiquitous! So I am going to admit to being Tele illiterate.
    Last edited by Easy2grasp; 03-09-2019 at 10:44 PM.