The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 75

User Info Menu

Les Paul? L5? 175? Tele?

I have never had my hands on a Strat. Or any Martin. I have no idea what one feels like.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I played my first Les Paul at a store recently. That I can no longer brag about never having played one was one of the regrets I experienced. The pickups were hot, horrid, muddy. Great for metal, I hear.

User Info Menu

Don't think I've ever played an L5, but I have played a Super 400 and a Johnny Smith.
    Never played a Rickenbacker. (I think of a Ric 12-string as iconic if not ubiquitous.)

User Info Menu

L-5. Probably never will...we'll see.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Les Paul? L5? 175? Tele?

I have never had my hands on a Strat. Or any Martin. I have no idea what one feels like.
    It's incredible that someone with your experience has never handled a Strat or a Martin. If you're ever interested in doing so, just stop in at any Guitar Center.

User Info Menu

I can say that I've played most of the iconic guitars in jazz because I've had the good fortune of visiting Jay Wolfe's shop in Jupiter, Fl. The times I've been there, he's had an impressive inventory featuring vintage L5s and DeAngelicos along with a large selection of Heritage guitars.

User Info Menu

I'm very lucky to live in Chicago, so with CME being here, I've gotten to play a bunch of guitars I'd never be able to find anywhere else...but there's LOTS of guitars I can think of I've never had a hand on.

For example--they're certainly nothing rare, but I've never played a Martin D-28. Plenty of 18's, but never tried out a 28. Or the big Gibson flattop with the moustache bridge, what's that one--the J-something?

I've also never played a Super 400 with set pickups, but I have played a vintage Super 400 with a Floating DeArmond (belongs to a local country artist) and it was heavenly...

I've also never played a metal bodied resonator. I'd like to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Karol
    Don't think I've ever played an L5, but I have played a Super 400 and a Johnny Smith.
    Never played a Rickenbacker. (I think of a Ric 12-string as iconic if not ubiquitous.)
    I had a Ric for a while, cool guitar, but I couldn't deal with the 1-5/8" fingerboard.

User Info Menu

I've heard there's one that stays in tune.

User Info Menu

Never played a super 400. Also never played any archtop that was designed to be fully acoustic.

Quote Originally Posted by Klatu
    It's incredible that someone with your experience has never handled a Strat or a Martin. If you're ever interested in doing so, just stop in at any Guitar Center.
    Yeah, plenty of opportunities, it just never happened. Fate, I guess.

User Info Menu

L5

Johnny Smith

User Info Menu

I have held and played a scale or two on a friend's Strat, but I have never plugged one in and wailed on it. It's just as well. I need another guitar obsession like I need a hole in the head.

User Info Menu

Apologies In Advance:
    I am real beginner, but I've played just about everything. Working 10 minutes from Lark Street Music and 25 minutes from GuitarsNJazz makes it easy. I have no business handling 90% of the instruments I've put on my knee at those 2 places. It's like being invited to your first hockey game and it's 1994 Game 7 at Madison Square Garden. Meanwhile diehard fans who don't have the opportunity are across the street watching it at The Blarney Stone. I'm undeservedly lucky for the opportunity and through reading so much on the site I appreciate it more and more each time I visit.
    Last edited by DMgolf66; 03-08-2019 at 02:06 PM.

User Info Menu

Better ask me which iconic guitars I have played - looks like that list will be shorter, especially in the light of jazz boxes.
    So: I have never played a Gibson full hollowbody - you name it, I haven't played it.

User Info Menu

Modern L5. I only played prewar vintage models which aren't really L5's as we know it.
    I did try a super 400. For some reason I was sure I wasn't gonna like it. Boy was I wrong. I loved everything about it. Those guitars deserve all the praise they get. Also because I thought I wasn't gonna like it, I can assure you that my liking it wasn't confirmation bias

User Info Menu

I have never played a genuine D'Aquisto, a Monteleone, a Borys or a Trenier. I have pretty much played all the rest from a Loar signed L-5 to a 1960 Blonde D'Angelico New Yorker.

User Info Menu

I don't think I've ever played a L5. Or a Jaguar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DMgolf66
    Apologies In Advance:
    I am real beginner, but I've played just about everything. Working 10 minutes from Lark Street Music and 25 minutes from GuitarsNJazz makes it easy. I have no business handling 90% of the instruments I've put on my knee at those 2 places. It's like being invited to your first hockey game and it's 1994 Game 7 at Madison Square Garden. Meanwhile diehard fans who don't have the opportunity are across the street watching it at The Blarney Stone. I'm undeservedly lucky for the opportunity and through reading so much on the site I appreciate it more and more each time I visit.
    We in Vancouver remember that game well...

User Info Menu

I can't think of a single one that I've not owned or at least played over the past 59 years of doing this and I still think Teles are the best.

User Info Menu

Damn Bro, I was gonna say the same exact thing!
    I want to take a Monteleone home with me, put TI12's on it and play it for a month.
    I'd have to get comfortable with it on my own. If I played it in front of John M, I'd probably faint or even have a stroke.

JD

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    I have never played a genuine D'Aquisto, a Monteleone, a Borys or a Trenier. I have pretty much played all the rest from a Loar signed L-5 to a 1960 Blonde D'Angelico New Yorker.

User Info Menu

I've never played any of the "levels" of guitar above the Gibson Super 400. No Benedetto, no DA/DA, no Stromberg, not even an antique Epiphone. I have never played a 12-string Ric like Roger McGuinn played in the Byrds but I want to. I also never played a Mosrite like the Ventures played, but yeah, I wanted to. I haven't played anything with a "real" or exact copy of a CC pickup. I haven't played a vintage P90 either. I have played a Tele and Strat, but not for very long.

IN the realm of iconic, I love this one:

What ubiquitous iconic guitar have you NEVER played?-hagstrom-red-jpg

User Info Menu

I have never played a Les Paul.

User Info Menu

I've never even touched an L5, same goes for D'Aquisto, D'Angelico (originals) or any of the current uber-luthier archtops-Monteleone, Trenier, Slaman etc.

I have played a Manzer flattop, but it was before she was famous.

User Info Menu

No s400, and the only L5 I ever tried was a CT with a single neck floater. Also the only 175 I ever tried was a january 1960 model and I hated it..!