Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 36 of 36
  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    So finally after having Daniel Slaman building me a replica and me returning it, I found the ES 175 I’ve been looking for. It’s in great shape, original case too. Just thought I’d post a quick pic.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2

    User Info Menu

    Fantastic guitar. So what was wrong with the Slaman?

  4. #3

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by 55bar
    So finally after having Daniel Slaman building me a replica and me returning it, I found the ES 175 I’ve been looking for ...
    The 175 is beautiful, and with the single P-90 it's probably my dream guitar. But, you're the first person I've heard of that's returned a Slaman. Wow.

  5. #4

    User Info Menu

    I can hear Jim Hall from the pic. Gibson needs to borrow yours and start making replicas.
    Congrats!

  6. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by M-ster
    The 175 is beautiful, and with the single P-90 it's probably my dream guitar. But, you're the first person I've heard of that's returned a Slaman. Wow.
    The Slaman, was a long story, a couple of friends on here know about it. All I can say is I have the utmost respect for Daniel, he makes some AMAZING instruments. For me it wasn’t quite right.

    I’ll post some more pics tomorrow if anyone is interested.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by takauya
    I can hear Jim Hall from the pic. Gibson needs to borrow yours and start making replicas.
    Congrats!
    It’s amazingly clean, and sounds and feels, just like I was hoping.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #7

    User Info Menu

    The 1953 ES 175 is such an excellent guitar that I have two of them. One with flats and one with rounds. You may think “what a waste” but these guitars such different personalities depending on setup. Congratulations and wonderful photograph.

  9. #8

    User Info Menu

    I have a blonde double P90 ‘57 I truly love. The kid I bought it from changed his mind, he’d had it for 25 years. Eventually we finished the deal.

    Congrats

  10. #9

    User Info Menu

    That is beautiful. I’d love to get an old 175 some day - you’re lucky! Enjoy and I wish you the best playing that guitar for a long time.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  11. #10

    User Info Menu

    Schwing!

  12. #11

    User Info Menu

    Wonderful. And with a single P90, it's even better.

    A winner for sure.

    Cheers.

  13. #12

    User Info Menu

    > Just thought I’d post a quick pic.


    Oh no you dont

    we need WAAAY more pics !

  14. #13

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by fws6
    > Just thought I’d post a quick pic.


    Oh no you dont

    we need WAAAY more pics !
    And WAAAY more audio, especially.

  15. #14

    User Info Menu

    when i finally splurge on an expensive guitar, that will be the one!! congratulations

  16. #15

    User Info Menu

    That is iconic. BUT, should you move the bridge over just a smidge toward the bass side? Or do you like the high e so close to the edge?

  17. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    That is iconic. BUT, should you move the bridge over just a smidge toward the bass side? Or do you like the high e so close to the edge?
    Hey, thanks for the observation

    That was a pic when I got it home, yesterday, I’ll likely tweak it a bit, but tbh I didn’t really notice.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  18. #17

    User Info Menu

    My goodness, that looks clean.

    Essentially the perfect guitar, IMHO. Someday I'll spring for something like it...

    Enjoy it in health!

  19. #18
    Really nice! Congrats, HNGD and play her in good health!

  20. #19

    User Info Menu

    Congratulations! That is a real beauty! Got to love those '50's ES175's. They're the real deal! Here's my '55.
    Attached Images Attached Images 1953 Gibson ES-175-55-175-gif-jpg 

  21. #20

    User Info Menu

    55Bar - We need way more pics. We discriminating viewers want to see a lot of body shots, neck, nut, and bridge. We want to see your guitar in the raw warts and all. Neck wear patterns help us make up stories in our heads, and some of us get the fever and go on an online expedition to find one like yours, searching rabbit holes, the GAS consuming the frontal lobes of our brains. I will be okay, as I have a '56 similar to your '53. Enjoy it! These early P-90 ES-175's are real keepers. Ted

    First 3 frets
    1953 Gibson ES-175-closeupfretweares1751956-jpg
    OP wore a slide on his pinky
    1953 Gibson ES-175-right-side-neck-binding-3rd-fret-wedding-ring-damage-jpeg
    Attached Images Attached Images 1953 Gibson ES-175-1st-position-wear-back-jpeg 

  22. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by 55bar
    Wow they are great pictures, here are a few more of mine enjoy. Been playing it for a few days now and I really love it I’ll post a video soon.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Still haven’t changed the strings looks like whoever put them on was in a rush look closely at the B and E 1953 Gibson ES-175 any recommendations for gauge? I was thinking of 12s maybe a set of thomastik? I’m open to suggestions 1953 Gibson ES-175


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  23. #22

    User Info Menu

    See what you made me do, it’s all your fault, a ‘53 also

    1953 Gibson ES-175-8685c8fd-5f74-4bc6-8b0a-dd893273b688-jpg1953 Gibson ES-175-e7632c24-8d2f-4d34-9dcd-5d6c46634f48-jpg1953 Gibson ES-175-dc18b0f2-c686-4e6a-9c7a-faede42a1872-jpg

  24. #23

    User Info Menu

    Great I’ll buy that off you in 18 months when you’ve decided you want something else ;-)

    Seriously, looks amazing. Let’s get together and have a 175 off soon.

  25. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Great I’ll buy that off you in 18 months when you’ve decided you want something else ;-)

    Seriously, looks amazing. Let’s get together and have a 175 off soon.
    Hahah, so true yes drop me a text!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  26. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeinNJ
    See what you made me do, it’s all your fault, a ‘53 also

    1953 Gibson ES-175-8685c8fd-5f74-4bc6-8b0a-dd893273b688-jpg1953 Gibson ES-175-e7632c24-8d2f-4d34-9dcd-5d6c46634f48-jpg1953 Gibson ES-175-dc18b0f2-c686-4e6a-9c7a-faede42a1872-jpg
    Ah mike! That is a stunner! Wow, now I want a blonde one!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  27. #26

    User Info Menu

    55Bar
    That thing is beautiful! Somebody had that stashed in a closet for many decades! It is so pristine! I like the shape and shading of the sunburst on the back.

    And BigMike - did you just get that? I remember your '57 with the two P-90's, but I haven't seen this purdy blonde single pup!

  28. #27

    User Info Menu

    Yes it was in the For Sale section here and I closed via Reverb
    Cant wait

  29. #28

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by takauya
    I can hear Jim Hall from the pic. Gibson needs to borrow yours and start making replicas.
    Congrats!
    That '54 is really cool!
    Gibson did indeed make a '54 Reissue Es-175D in 2015,but they supposedly only made 50. I had the good fortune to be able to buy one brand new that got lost in the Gibson warehouse.
    I think it is fabulous, but I have no idea how it compares to the originals as I've never played a vintage one. They were made to basically the same specs as the 1959 reissue ES-175s (VOS, hide glue, etc), so I expect it to be similar in how good it is.
    I'm sure the originals are amazing.

  30. #29

    User Info Menu

    I played one on a gig once. It was well good.

  31. #30

    User Info Menu

    Yeah my ‘57 is great. But I really wanted one with fewer hole and less iron on it The ‘53 I got will fill the bill.

    1953 Gibson ES-175-869f61ed-0eec-4210-a4fc-d1b11a8a4855-jpg






    Quote Originally Posted by Easy2grasp
    55Bar
    That thing is beautiful! Somebody had that stashed in a closet for many decades! It is so pristine! I like the shape and shading of the sunburst on the back.

    And BigMike - did you just get that? I remember your '57 with the two P-90's, but I haven't seen this purdy blonde single pup!

  32. #31

    User Info Menu

    55bar and BigMike,
    Nice guitars you guys . Your making me want a 175.

  33. #32

    User Info Menu

    Big - that blonde '53 single pup will feel like it's filled with helium compared to the one with that Bixby boat anchor! Both are beautiful in their own right!

    I bet 55bar's and yours come in at about 6 lbs.

  34. #33

    User Info Menu

    ?Check this out, COSTCO called me today, my hearing aids are in and I go Tuesday afternoon for the custom fitting and run through/adjustments. IMAGINE how this '53 will sound unplugged to a guy with an 80% hearing loss corrected with the hearing aids ??? I hope I sleep tonight... Can't wait...

    Big

    INCOMING: NuSound Vida


    Quote Originally Posted by Easy2grasp
    Big - that blonde '53 single pup will feel like it's filled with helium compared to the one with that Bixby boat anchor! Both are beautiful in their own right!

    I bet 55bar's and yours come in at about 6 lbs.

  35. #34

    User Info Menu

    And don't take anything away from that '57... Trust me that sweetheart is a great soul or rock guitar. Really nice... I love blending the two pickups: middle setting but with the bridge pickup tuned in just enough it's not all muddy...

    Big

  36. #35

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeinNJ
    ?Check this out, COSTCO called me today, my hearing aids are in and I go Tuesday afternoon for the custom fitting and run through/adjustments. IMAGINE how this '53 will sound unplugged to a guy with an 80% hearing loss corrected with the hearing aids ??? I hope I sleep tonight... Can't wait...

    Big

    INCOMING: NuSound Vida
    Great! I've got hearing aides, too. My audiologist programed a special setting in mine for listening to music, the setting she set up for conversation was too tinny with music. I also have a setting for watching TV so I don't blast normal hearing peeps out of the room. In the meantime,

    These are my jewels...
    1956 with P90 pup once belonged to Rulon Mecham, a prospector and entertainer
    1956 modified with Schaller tuners, Van Eps damper, and Kent Armstrong pup, once belonged to Tommy Tedesco
    1964 modified 25 1/2 in scale neck and pick up location, once belonged to Billy Bean
    1957N with paf pup, inhabited by a genie named Kalamazoo
    1953 Gibson ES-175-fullsizeoutput_7d8-jpg

  37. #36

    User Info Menu


    That's a very impressive stable you have there... wow



    I have the ReSound VIDA which has an app I control the hearing aids from. And yeah it has an EQ,
    treble, mid, bass plus all sorts of filters you can select and adjust for like when you're in a restaurant or location with a lot of background noise. These are not my father's hearing aids (he turned his way down most of the time because the "wind noise" he heard in them was irritating. My Mom would tell me, "your father's not listening, he turned off his hearing aids".