The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 36

User Info Menu

Reverb takes a lot of heat on some of the guitar forums. I've had nothing but good luck with purchases and sales. Yesterday this luck rose to a new level when I received a 2002 Gibson L5 CES from a seller who listed it with Reverb. The pictures were impressive and the Seller stated that the guitar was in mint condition. I was a little cautious. Over 15 years old and mint condition? Well, damn.....it is! A brand new guitar in perfect shape. It came with all the Gibson case candy, picks, polishing cloth, certificate of authenticity..all of it. Just an astounding find for about half the price of a new Custom Shop model. The woods are beautiful. The craftsmanship is also very, very good. I'm comparing it to a Benedetto Manhattan I owned several years ago. The flame on the woods, the binding, the joinery is all world class and the equal of any of the custom shop archtops I've owned (Comins included). I didn't have great expectations in this regard but am now a Gibson fan.

I hooked her up to my little Henrikson Blu and just smiled. The thick, meaty tone we all love is on display for all to enjoy. The action was not to my liking and I think the strings may be 15 years old. The fretboard also seemed dry and in need of conditioning. Off to the shop today for a tuneup and then many years of use. Don't shoot me but I called Kent Armstrong who sold me a pair of 12 pole handwound pickups that are drop in replacements for the 57 humbuckers. I've fallen in love with the sound of his products. I'll keep the old ones to change back if I ever sell this baby.

After this experience, I'm rooting for Gibson to shake off its financial problems and get back to it's former glory. This guitar proves they are capable of creating world class products.

Eric
    Attached Images Attached Images 2002 Gibson L-5 CES-20190227_183553_resized-jpg 2002 Gibson L-5 CES-20190227_183624_resized-jpg 2002 Gibson L-5 CES-20190227_183708_resized-jpg 2002 Gibson L-5 CES-20190227_183641_resized-jpg 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Lovely!

Beautiful! Congrats, HNGD and play her in good health!

User Info Menu

Hngd!

User Info Menu

That's an awesome purchase, but I thought you can't deal with 17" guitars(?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    That's an awesome purchase, but I thought you can't deal with 17" guitars(?)
    Yes I did / still have major shoulder issues. The situation was cutting into the guitar choices available so I had to find a solution

Without a foot stool, and using an ErgoPlay guitar support, with a comfortable seat with back support and a little maneuvering, I can sit and play a 17" archtop for an hour without discomfort. This was very good news.

Eric

User Info Menu

Happy NGD!

User Info Menu

Eric, congratulations on the sweet L5! Regarding the back, I've taken to using a strap and standing on a frequent basis. Not always, but a lot. I love 17" archtops, and have a difficult time finding a comfortable sitting position sometimes. Looks like an awesome guitar. Enjoy playing that beauty.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skykomishone
    Eric, congratulations on the sweet L5! Regarding the back, I've taken to using a strap and standing on a frequent basis. Not always, but a lot. I love 17" archtops, and have a difficult time finding a comfortable sitting position sometimes. Looks like an awesome guitar. Enjoy playing that beauty.
    Have you tried one of these?

Welcome to SoundSeat

The version with adjustable back support was life changing for me.

Eric

User Info Menu

It is the iconic beauty of the L-5 CES that inspired me to buy an arch-top. Not a single line should be changed. Lucky guy to have found one in such lovely condition.

My love affair with that design first tempted me to buy a used Epiphone Emperor, because that is about all I could afford. But my research led me to become enamored with the Peerless Manhattan, which I could not afford, and eventually to pickup a used Peerless New York, which has basically the same shape as the L-5, but was rather more affordable.

Congratulations on your good fortune.

User Info Menu

That's a real beauty. Typical Hutch era wood. Lovely...

Big

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cincy2
    Yes I did / still have major shoulder issues. The situation was cutting into the guitar choices available so I had to find a solution

Without a foot stool, and using an ErgoPlay guitar support, with a comfortable seat with back support and a little maneuvering, I can sit and play a 17" archtop for an hour without discomfort. This was very good news.

Eric
    Well that's good news.

User Info Menu

Fantastic guitar !

Congrats !

User Info Menu

The deacon can say wow that is a gorgeous blond I cannot keep my eyes off and not even an occasion of sin has occurred. Plug it in and play us a tune you did more than well even fantastic.

User Info Menu

Congrats. Now you understand the Gibson magic.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cincy2
    Have you tried one of these?

Welcome to SoundSeat

Eric
    Not that one, but ones like it. They're great. I also use a classical guitar foot rest sometimes. Thanks for the suggestion!

User Info Menu

Wow! That is a stunning guitar!

User Info Menu

Great score ! A definite case Queen. Still has the factory red polishing compound on the nut. Probably owned by a collector.
    Looks brand new. CONGRATS !

User Info Menu

Gorgeous

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skykomishone
    Not that one, but ones like it. They're great. I also use a classical guitar foot rest sometimes. Thanks for the suggestion!
    My use of a footstool was also killing my back. I eventually got rid of that too and replaced it with this. Now all is good. Both feet on floor. Lower back supported. Posture - tall and relaxed. Life is good.

ErgoPlay Professional Guitar Support – XGuitars

Eric

User Info Menu

Silly question, does that go on your right leg or left? Or either?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Silly question, does that go on your right leg or left? Or either?
    Not silly at all. Left thigh for me. This way, the neck is up, the lower bout is down and my very bad shoulder drapes over that lower bout at a very natural, pain free position.

Eric

User Info Menu

Before and after with new KA Humbuckers. Very warm yet still good string to string definition.
    Attached Images Attached Images 2002 Gibson L-5 CES-20190227_183553_resized-jpg 2002 Gibson L-5 CES-20190308_143838_resized-jpg 

User Info Menu

Forum-ites

I have too many guitars inbound and have to make some sacrifices to pay for new arrivals later this year. If you have always wanted an L-5 CES, PM me. This is a near mint example with Kent Armstrong PAF's I installed that plays like a dream. I am looking to move this fast. First forum member with $5,000.00 USD gets her. I'll put up a full FS post this weekend (at a higher price) if she's still around.

US only please. Shipping and any PayPal fees are extra at this price.

Eric

User Info Menu

Sold!

Cincy