The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 35 of 35

User Info Menu

hey, does that thing have a rosette? i can barely make it out from here in outer space. i kid. that is a fascinating guitar. i've never seen anything of a similar aesthetic, let alone the brass cone thing. i'm glad you shared it with us. thanks! doesn't sound half bad, either.

ps- your translation of the label checks out.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Now that you point it out, it DOES have a rosette! I really am most unobservant

User Info Menu

Perfection!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    How strange, the nickel bag. Must have been for tips.

Your guitar looks really nice, Woody. How does it sound?
    Beautiful sweet tone, but not a lot of volume. I don't know its history at all, it's obviously more related to 19th cent romantic parlor guitars. Panormo, etc. It seems that at some point someone replaced the tie bridge with a pin bridge. (And misplaced, the intonation is way off.) But then again, maybe not, see the examples below, lots of pin bridges. I wonder if they tied ball knots at the end(?) And probably, the original black neck was stripped and refinished. When I get around to it, I'd like to get a proper bridge installed again. Or at least, this one placed properly.

Here are some examples:

Builders of the early 19th Century

19th century romantic guitar - Google Search

User Info Menu

Yes, pin bridges have a long history, and yes, players had to tie knots in the end of the string. Sometimes it's hard to tell at first glance an early 19th-century gut-strung guitar from and early 20th-century steel-strung guitar.

User Info Menu

Seeing as some of you have shown an interest in this, I recorded an album with the guitar, and here it is - download only:

Rob MacKillop | The Romantic Spanish Guitar, Vol. 1: 19th Century | CD Baby Music Store

It's also on iTunes, Amazon, and a hundred other places. Have a listen to the extracts at the linked page.

Make sure to click the Read More... link at the bottom of the page for the "booklet" notes.

User Info Menu

I missed this the first time around. What a great story, and what a cool instrument! Beautiful playing Rob. The instrument has finally found its proper home in this century. May it continue to make music for centuries beyond!

User Info Menu

Cheers, k. Appreciated.

User Info Menu

Robster,
    i could listen to you talk and play all day long.
    You hit EVERY harmonic. You played that old guitar sweetly. You soothed the ghosts that guitar.
    The lighting in your video helped make the “old bling” sparkle.
    I so thoroughly enjoyed that video. Thank you buddy.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Cheers, Joe. Always supportive, always kind. Appreciated, my friend.