The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

Just watching Jeff Kiesel live on FB announcing that they're finally offering roasted maple necks for everything other than neck through necks. As I understand it, it should make the guitar much less susceptible to climate and humidity changes. Living in Guadalajara, that would make it really attractive to me.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

when are they offering 22 fret necks and a true semihollow headless?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    when are they offering 22 fret necks and a true semihollow headless?
    I would assume that it would not be until they become convinced that the sales potential justifies the design, engineering and setup cost. I think that's probably a really tough argument to make at this point but you can get all of those features right now from Chris Forshage.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    Just watching Jeff Kiesel live on FB announcing that they're finally offering roasted maple necks for everything other than neck through necks. As I understand it, it should make the guitar much less susceptible to climate and humidity changes. Living in Guadalajara, that would make it really attractive to me.
    That blue strat with the roasted maple neck and the new headstock really looks like an Ibanez Prestige.

User Info Menu

do they offer a tele bridge/pickup ? Didn't see it in there options. And can you specify body weight? Some of their strats I have played are 8.5-10lbs!

User Info Menu

I don’t think they have traditional Tele configurations with the pickup mounted on the bridge. It’s all on the body or pickguard.

They do offer chambered bodies as an option when you pick a top but I think it’s only in the non-pickguard models.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blille
    That blue strat with the roasted maple neck and the new headstock really looks like an Ibanez Prestige.

User Info Menu

trendy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Endorphins
    trendy
    it's more than trendy. Maple necks that are finished are harder to bend on. And maple has a tendency to warp if it's not finished. Warmoth - for example - will void the warranty if a neck warps and is not finished.

HOWEVER - this is not the case with the roasted necks. Warmoth does not require a roasted neck to be finished and it's ok to finish a roasted neck in tung oil

User Info Menu

Sound is also different. More bright, at least that is the case with my 77 Exrubato Custom.

User Info Menu

it's more than trendy. And maple has a tendency to warp if it's not finished. Warmoth - for example - will void the warranty if a neck warps and is not finished.

HOWEVER - this is not the case with the roasted necks. Warmoth does not require a roasted neck to be finished and it's ok to finish a roasted neck in tung oil
    This is the real point to me. We never got the chance to try roasted maple while we were building so I have no first hand experience but I had also understood that the process makes maple almost impervious to shrinking and much more resistant to warping. That's why Warmoth was willing to change their warranty policy, and several companies became willing to use heavily figured maple (which is considered in its raw form to be much less stable than plain maple) for necks.

Here in Guadalajara we have significant temperature changes almost every day for most of the year. Almost no humidity for 9 months and monsoon rains for the other three. The climate plays hell with conventional woods and roasted maple, like graphite/composites might provide a good answer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stevus
    Sound is also different. More bright, at least that is the case with my 77 Exrubato Custom.
    you have an exrubato with roasted maple?

User Info Menu

I don't know if the poster has one or not, but over there they call it "thermo-maple." See here:

EXRUBATO KOA CUSTOM | ギターのディバイザー

User Info Menu

Yes, a special series in koa wood and with roasted maple neck. Only five were made. I have one. Earlier they also made an Exrubato Custom with koa back and sides and spruce top. That one was only sold in Japan.