The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 42 of 42

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    I desire: a hollow body with mini humbuckers, thinline. Maybe 330-esque. Basically I want a versatile guitar that has a very good clean sound and doesn't get 60hz hum. Don't care if it's solid or laminate. Budget is flexible, if it's a keeper I'll sell a bunch of gear to make it work.

Omph,
    You need to grab G-bean's Forshage! With the coil splitters, it can take you anywhere!

[Don't be turned off by Chris' rockin' video! He likes to dig into those things! And hey, it's not your basic sunburst color, either!]

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

My D'Angelico EX DC is an early one (I think 2005, based on serial #) with a stairstep/trapeze tailpiece and spruce top. It has a very lively acoustic sound. Full humbuckers, though. You could look for one of these. I believe the Vestax ones are also spruce/trapeze.

If you want the P90 sound without 60 buzz, I'd suggest trying an Electro-Harmonix Hum Debugger with one of your P90 guitars. I use one with mine, and it kills hum very effectively without changing the tone (at least not to my ears).

John

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    A Gibson es 175T in wine or walnut might be worth considering. I couldn't afford one, so I got an amber 1962 Epi Sorrento 50th anniversary reissue instead.

Nice. I played one 70s Gibson in my life. It was great except that the nut felt very narrow. Any idea what the nut wodth was on these 175t’s? Has anyone tried them? I feel like Jack must have evaluated something like this at one point.

Along these lines, the ES 150 DC also looks attractive on paper but I haven’t found any overwhelmingly positive reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    My D'Angelico EX DC is an early one (I think 2005, based on serial #) with a stairstep/trapeze tailpiece and spruce top. It has a very lively acoustic sound. Full humbuckers, though. You could look for one of these. I believe the Vestax ones are also spruce/trapeze.

If you want the P90 sound without 60 buzz, I'd suggest trying an Electro-Harmonix Hum Debugger with one of your P90 guitars. I use one with mine, and it kills hum very effectively without changing the tone (at least not to my ears).

John

I believe the EHX removes him through phase cancellation. For most of the neck you can’t hear a tonal difference but I think the effect is very audible in the higher frequencies.

User Info Menu

Marchione is out of the budget, lol. Also I really don’t like the look. It looks like Batman’s guitar.

User Info Menu

I believe the EHX removes him through phase cancellation. For most of the neck you can’t hear a tonal difference but I think the effect is very audible in the higher frequencies.
    I don't know exactly how it works. I've read speculation, but I've not seen a detailed technical explanation from EHX.

Some reviews (especially when it first came out 2006-ish) report an audible effect. I don't notice any effect on tone with mine (which is a year or so old) at any point on the neck with either my strat or my P90 Godin. For me, it has made single coils usable in environments where they had been unusable, so I think it's worth a shot

John

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    I don't know exactly how it works. I've read speculation, but I've not seen a detailed technical explanation from EHX.

Some reviews (especially when it first came out 2006-ish) report an audible effect. I don't notice any effect on tone with mine (which is a year or so old) at any point on the neck with either my strat or my P90 Godin. For me, it has made single coils usable in environments where they had been unusable, so I think it's worth a shot

John
    I agree it was worth a shot. I own one. Lives in a dresser.

Interesting that nobody has anything positive or negative to say in this thread about those Collings. I know Jostein gulbrandsen loves them and Jaz calls em corksniffer guitars.

I think this is gorgeous, but, man that price tag.

Acoustic Sounding Semi or Thinline with Humbucker or Mini Humbucker-0ccd3f22-9646-465a-bbed-74abd699d5c2-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    Too bad you didn’t like the 390. I really like mine. Supposedly it had a pro set up before I got it so maybe the frets were leveled. You must have gotten a “Friday” guitar because mine looks and plays like whoever built it cared.
    It was an ideal guitar aside from the apparently randomized fret height. I tried giving it another shot last night and it’s just un-setup-able. A real shame. It’s freaking gorgeous too.

Acoustic Sounding Semi or Thinline with Humbucker or Mini Humbucker-4be4cca5-fee8-4f7f-a48f-04eed9709276-jpg

User Info Menu

Interesting that nobody has anything positive or negative to say in this thread about those Collings. I know Jostein gulbrandsen loves them and Jaz calls em corksniffer guitars.

Acoustic Sounding Semi or Thinline with Humbucker or Mini Humbucker-0ccd3f22-9646-465a-bbed-74abd699d5c2-jpg
    I'd suspect it's because most of us have never seen a Collings semi-hollow in the flesh. I know I haven't.

But agreed on the look...damn...and those inlays are the perfect happy medium between bling and understated.

User Info Menu

The only Collings electric I've actually tried is a Soco with P90s, but you didn't mention that model, so I didn't comment about any of the Collingeses you did mention. Anyway, the Soco I tried is a really, really nice guitar, better sounding and playing than any 330 I've ever tried. I haven't tried any of the double cutaway Collingeses, so can't comment from direct experience, but the ones I've heard others play (including Jostein) sound very good.

John

User Info Menu

Bite the bullet and buy the Collings.

Every one I've played was simply amazing in tone, feel and quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    Bite the bullet and buy the Collings.

Every one I've played was simply amazing in tone, feel and quality.
    Part of me knows what I should do. The thing is, money is expensive.

User Info Menu

I played one of those Korean Guild Starfires recently (the one without bigsby) and I thought the neck was great, but I actually like Eastman neck profiles so my definition of "great" may not qualify.

I could live with a Starfire compared to the ticket for an asian origin Sadowsky.

User Info Menu

While a D'Anglico Excel SS works perfectly with just a small block under the bridge (and new models have split coil SD 59's): Acoustic Sounding Semi or Thinline with Humbucker or Mini Humbucker-1-imgp6057-jpg

You appear to want something more upscale. As do we all. How about a nice Lowden GL-10?

Acoustic Sounding Semi or Thinline with Humbucker or Mini Humbucker-gl_10_ko_front-jpg

User Info Menu

It was an ideal guitar aside from the apparently randomized fret height. I tried giving it another shot last night and it’s just un-setup-able. A real shame. It’s freaking gorgeous too.

Acoustic Sounding Semi or Thinline with Humbucker or Mini Humbucker-4be4cca5-fee8-4f7f-a48f-04eed9709276-jpg
    Why don't you take it to a luthier for a fret level or even complete refret? Much cheaper than buying a Collins.....