The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 122

User Info Menu

Looks like a 330 especially with that tailpiece.

They been making these on an off thru the years. Most famous is the Emily Remler humbucker 330, while a few years back they had this one .. longer neck and a bigsby

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

IIRC, 330's do have a centerblock (while still being fully hollow, unlike the 335/345/355) to mount the PUPs and the TOM.

User Info Menu

I always thought Remler’s ES-330 was modified after she got it from her brother I believe.

You can see the P90 holes on the cover of Firefly:

I had not seen that 330L, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    IIRC, 330's do have a centerblock (while still being fully hollow, unlike the 335/345/355) to mount the PUPs and the TOM.
    I thought it was just the top being reinforced like this:

But no centerblock. Got this from my old NGD thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

That’s a really handsome guitar. I’d love to get a 330 some day and this one looks great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Although it may not be historically authentic--ha, since when are Gibson's reissues spot on?--I sure like the combination of the short neck and the humbuckers. It gives ES-330 shoppers a real choice. Until now, if you wanted humbuckers you had to go with the long neck of the '68-'72 model.

User Info Menu

Centre block and fully hollow do not go together.... it’s either one or the other.....

User Info Menu

Floating block, maybe?

User Info Menu

This is a lame attempt to answer Collings version of this style guitar. Why would you not join the neck just like a regular 335?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    Floating block, maybe?
    What is a floating block?

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    This is a lame attempt to answer Collings version of this style guitar. Why would you not join the neck just like a regular 335?
    Which specific Collings model are you referring to? Above they linked the 330L which joins like a 335. I personally prefer joining lower like an ES-330.
    Last edited by blille; 06-24-2018 at 02:17 AM.

User Info Menu

This looks interesting but why call this a 330? Especially if there wasn't some sort of typo and this guitar actually has a centerblock.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blille
    What is a floating block?...
    Semi-hollow guitars typically have a solid block of wood underneath the bridge that connects with the underside of the top as well as the back of the guitar.

Some guitars have a block of wood underneath the bridge that ONLY connects with the underside of the top, NOT the back of the guitar. That leave room for air/sound to travel underneath the block of wood inside the guitar's body. Guitar builders call this a 'floating block'.

User Info Menu

Whaddo I know, but don't you have to have some reinforcement for a TOM bridge? So a floating block sounds reasonable.

Nice looking guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    Whaddo I know, but don't you have to have some reinforcement for a TOM bridge? So a floating block sounds reasonable.

Nice looking guitar.
    The parallel spruce braces of the ES-330 apparently offer enough reinforcement for the top not to sink and the bridge-studs rest in bushings. Seems to work well enough, I have never seen an ES-330 with problems in that area.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    The parallel spruce braces of the ES-330 apparently offer enough reinforcement for the top not to sink and the bridge-studs rest in bushings. Seems to work well enough, I have never seen an ES-330 with problems in that area.
    Gibson installed TWO bridge adjustment wheels on the studs of my CS 330L bridge. One flat on the top the other to adjust the bridge height. Without the lower wheel being flat on the top I think they felt that the stud could either lean one way or the other (like they have in a 335 I have) or worse still sink.

IIRC the studs on mine are not in bushings, but it's setup perfectly now and I'm not inclined to check, but you may be correct.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI
    Gibson installed TWO bridge adjustment wheels on the studs of my CS 330L bridge. One flat on the top the other to adjust the bridge height. Without the lower wheel being flat on the top I think they felt that the stud could either lean one way or the other (like they have in a 335 I have) or worse still sink.

IIRC the studs on mine are not in bushings, but it's setup perfectly now and I'm not inclined to check, but you may be correct.
    I think you are correct, the studs are directly in the wood from what I see on pictures! My ES-333’s bridge posts rest in bushings, but that’s a modern Nashville bridge. Old ABR-bridges just screw directly in the wood (hence the extra thumb wheel for more stability)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    I think you are correct, the studs are directly in the wood from what I see on pictures! My ES-333’s bridge posts rest in bushings, but that’s a modern Nashville bridge. Old ABR-bridges just screw directly in the wood (hence the extra thumb wheel for more stability)
    I guess Gibson is consistently inconsistent because my 2003 ES-333's posts are screwed directly into the top :-)

User Info Menu

After over a year of playing a copy (a modded Peerless Songbird) I am hopeful that an ES-330 can be my main guitar. I haven't been able to play the 2018 model but I'm hopeful the neck is not as thick as the 59 reissues. I shipped it to a local GC so I'll be able to check it out there. The excuse is my 40th birthday. Still a few months away but I didn't want to miss it.

It's the classic sunburst finish, this is a stock pic. I'll report when I get it.

User Info Menu

Great guitar. The p-90 equipped, short-necked version of the ES-330 has long been one of my very favorite Gibsons.

ENJOY!

User Info Menu

I love thin line, hollow P90s guitars. After playing Teles for 40 years, i discovered them and I don’t play my teles very much anymore ....

steven

User Info Menu

Very nice ES330. Happy Birthday!

Play it in good health.

User Info Menu

You will love it!
    I have 2018 330 like the one you've just ordered. Ordered it online at a good discounted price. Tremendous guitar! Super versatile, won't sustain as a 335 but that's not the objective. We really can feel the hollow body tone compared to a 335.

Bridge pickup perfect for blues with some grit, middle position extremely crisp and useful for rhythm (as in a tele but even more balanced) and the neck pickup amazing for jazz with some vintage vibe.

The neck is comfortable, as is the whole guitar, not as thick as the 335 59 reissue.
    I have mine with daddario 11's pure nickel, thinking of going 12's.
    Happy birthday and have fun!

User Info Menu

Thanks! Good to hear you’re happy, particularly with the neck

I usually have flats 12-48 but I may give rounds a chance to leverage the versatility you mention.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blille
    After over a year of playing a copy (a modded Peerless Songbird) I am hopeful that an ES-330 can be my main guitar. I haven't been able to play the 2018 model but I'm hopeful the neck is not as thick as the 59 reissues. I shipped it to a local GC so I'll be able to check it out there. The excuse is my 40th birthday. Still a few months away but I didn't want to miss it.
    The 2018 has a bit of a hand filling neck, but neither a baseball bat nor a 335 slim profile, somewhere in the middle, I think it's just right. Have fun with yours.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Great guitar. The p-90 equipped, short-necked version of the ES-330 has long been one of my very favorite Gibsons.

ENJOY!
    Me too.
    It elicits memories of my first jazz guitar discovery: Grant Green's Idle Moments.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Herron
    That's a beautiful sunburst finish on that ES-330!

I've never played one of those but I've played and owned an ES-335 and an ES-355 and loved both of them.

First chance I get I'll try one of those ES-330s out.

Have some fun with your new Gibson!

Regards,
    Steven Herron
    I have a 330L (P90) and a 330 2018 (HB's) and the 2018 is for sure different than a 335, not only in weight, but it feels tiny by comparison not only to the "L" but all other 3xx semis too.

Its length it almost 2" shorter, and nearly 2 pounds lighter than a 335. But it's not a totally unfamiliar feel, except that unlike 335's it balances perfectly and if you play a lot up past the 13th fret it's a different story altogether because of the different neck join to body location.