The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21

User Info Menu

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone can give me a suggestion for a guitar strap. I have a 1967 Gibson Super 400 CES where the pin for the guitar strap by the neck is on the body very close to the neck. Whenever I buy a strap I've had to trim the leather which makes the strap less secure than I would like. Since the guitar is vintage I don't want to move or add a pin. Can anyone suggest a strap that would work where the leather is very narrow at the level of the pin by the neck.

Thanks in advance for your help.

All the best,

CTG

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

levys m25 strap

thin yet sturdy leather..available in choice of tasteful colors

around 30$

cheers

User Info Menu

Another approach...

1. Go to guitar store store, local or online.
    2. Buy new strap pin. Jim Dunlop makes a nice big one, that can even lock, Schaller has a reinvented version of their Straplock as well. I'm sure there are others as well.
    3. Remove old pin. Put it in a bag and store it in the case pocket so it does not get lost.
    4. Install new pin and any other associated hardware to strap if you choose the locking option.
    5. Play guitar.

Because this is an entirely reversible procedure, you can always re-install the vintage strap button onto your vintage guitar.

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it. I'll take a look at it.

Thanks. I appreciate the suggestion. Unfortunately, I don't think it'll work since I still have only about a 1/4" of space to the neck. I actually have a sturdy pin in the guitar but the width of material around the strap hole tends to be the problem.

User Info Menu

If only 1/4" of room, personally I'd go with thinner leather but intentionally cut longer (i.e. more than 1/4") and have it fold up a bit at the neck. Thick leather likely wouldn't work well if you go this route.

User Info Menu

Show us a picture

User Info Menu

Would a loop of leather shoelace in a lark's head knot work?

These are 2 pics one showing the guitar and the other the strap pin.
    Attached Images Attached Images Strap for a Problem strap pin-20190218_111020-jpg Strap for a Problem strap pin-20190218_111035-jpg 

User Info Menu

I'd still go with thinner leather that is a bit too long and folded slightly up the neck, but I'd add a rubber strap ring (which you might have to trim).

User Info Menu

I second the suggestions above to attend to the button and lock of some sort. I use a Gibson ASCL leather strap (securely thick) on my Super 400. The leather end extends 11/16 of an inch beyond the rim of the button. On top of the strap, however, I use a rubber lock whose rims are 5/16 of an inch wide--which would apparently be problematic for you.

Strap for a Problem strap pin-img_5801-jpgStrap for a Problem strap pin-img_5800-jpg

The idea is interesting. I never thought of it but seeing what you did I wonder if I could build the pin up from the body by adding a piece of leather to give it some clearance off the neck. I wonder if it would have enough stability?

User Info Menu

Before building the pin up from the body, I'd try to find one of the Levy's strap that neatomic suggested. Raising that pin could result in undue stress and pull or snap the pin from the body. No need to take that risk when a $30 strap might resolve your problem. And of course, another option would be to use a neck strap extenders like Sam Sherry suggested -- except use it the old school way by wrapping it around the top of the neck and connecting your strap to the extender up by the nut.
    Attached Images Attached Images Strap for a Problem strap pin-mn9fx2xucrq1vnoy3p4guva-jpg 

User Info Menu

Use a round shoe lace make a Hang mans noose and put it on their or for extra strength use parachute cord, then you tie the strap to the loose end

User Info Menu

Here is a series of pix showing how the Dunlop system works.
    Depending on the depth of the heel on your guitar, this system may allow your guitar strap to clear or nearly clear the neck heel and be more secure than a regular non-locking strap.
    Note how the strap area clears the strap button itself.
    Attached Images Attached Images Strap for a Problem strap pin-dunlop-locking-strap-hardware-jpg 

Thanks for the pics. It seems doable which is good.

User Info Menu

Solve the problem & celebrate as well!
    Strap for a Problem strap pin-straplocks-jpg

Strap for a Problem strap pin-download-jpeg

I just wanted to thank everyone for their help with this. I ended up contacting Italia Leather Straps. I sent them a picture and a description of the problem and they modified the design of their strap so that it fit by changing the contour of the strap around the strap hole by the neck. They did a really nice job. The strap fits well and it is a beautiful strap. They were also kind enough to do the modification without any additional cost and I received the strap in 10 days.

I would highly recommend Italia Leather Straps. The straps are beautiful and the company is a pleasure to work with.

All the best and thank you again,

CTG

User Info Menu

That is Good to know If I need a special made strap. Glad to here you got it resolved.

User Info Menu

Show pics of the new strap!

Here are some pics of the strap.
    Attached Images Attached Images Strap for a Problem strap pin-20190318_100917-jpg Strap for a Problem strap pin-20190318_101021-jpg Strap for a Problem strap pin-20190318_101036-jpg