The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

What are these like in the big, Johnny Smith scheme of things?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Nice guitar for sure but way too much money. Although very rare guitar I would just as well a Gibson Johnny Smith which could be had for less money and many other choices for guitars at this price. To me this guitar is worth maybe $6-7K even though it is rare.

User Info Menu

I can't speak to original Guilds, but I am very satisfied with the Korean A-150 and X-175 that I have now. Definitely not in the same league as the '61 Johnny Smith, but as far as Korean builds and model specs they are hard to beat.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DRS
    What are these like in the big, Johnny Smith scheme of things?
    There is one for sale at a shop here.
    Rufus Guitar Shop - Guild 1961 Johnny Smith Award w/ohsc
    The four Johnny Smith guitars (Guild Johnny Smith Award, Gibson Johnny Smith, Heritage Johnny Smith and Guild-Benedetto Johnny Smith) are all very different and none are exactly like a D'Angelico (which was the original goal). The Guild Johnny Smith was the only one with a 24.75 scale. Johnny Smith was unhappy with the Guild version (Smith claimed that it was because of the cutaway construction, but Smith's biographer believes that the 24.75 scale lacked the clarity that Smith was after). Very few examples of the Guild version were made, hence the rarity and high price.

Deacon Mark is quite correct that for less money a Gibson Johnny Smith can be had, and the Gibson is a superior guitar.

User Info Menu

Where's an emoji with a tongue hanging WAY out. Jeepers!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    Nice guitar for sure but way too much money. Although very rare guitar I would just as well a Gibson Johnny Smith which could be had for less money and many other choices for guitars at this price. To me this guitar is worth maybe $6-7K even though it is rare.
    FWIW, probably listed in Canuckistan currency - works out to @$9,800 Merkin dollars.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Where's an emoji with a tongue hanging WAY out. Jeepers!
    +1 :>)

And not the only interesting guitar in their inventory:

Rufus Guitar Shop - Gibson 1955 L5N W/McCarty Pickup + OHSC

User Info Menu

I've never gotten to play a Guild Johnny Smith model but this one sure is a beauty!

All of the Guild Artist Awards that I've gotten to play over the years have been consistently excellent - and sell for a lot less than this Johnny Smith model.

But I've gotta tell you, if I had the money I'd probably buy this one just to have it because it is a rare find.

User Info Menu

Is it a refin? No finish checking that I can see, little to no playwear, binding hasn't yellowed as much as I would expect. I don't know how Guild's finishes age compared to Gibson's. But such a lovely guitar and a rara avis.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Is it a refin? No finish checking that I can see, little to no playwear, binding hasn't yellowed as much as I would expect. I don't know how Guild's finishes age compared to Gibson's. But such a lovely guitar and a rara avis.
    \
    Just looking at it says it is not refinish and they my friends is worth about $3.00 and a pint of Sierra Neveda Stout. But that is what I think. The other JS for $6500 probably could be had for a bit less it looks a bit wore but not bad for sure. I guess my indifference makes it as easy target. The key in all the GAS is complete indifference to the situation................oh sure we all can do that right?

User Info Menu

I've been sniffing around at these for a couple years now, and there is nothing like coherence in pricing.

Not to rain-too-hard on any Dealer's parade but I don't think anyone confuses the Guild version (or AA's for that matter) with the collectability of the Gibson JS.

Beautifully made, and pretty scarce in any condition, Guild AA's can be found well south of 6K (even 60s vintage). The Guild JS is rarer to be sure but still. . .

User Info Menu

I agree with deacon Mark Regarding 6-7k as a more reasonable price. That said, there are very few to choose from, and probably no others in such apparently fine condition. Regarding quality, there may be some examples of better guitars out there, but I have yet to find any manufacturer who consistently made better guitars than Guild. No other brand would I buy without playing first, but I have with Guilds and have yet to be disappointed.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the input. You guys are great.
    As guitars like this are harder to find in Canada, I assume this drives the premium price. They come up every 4 - 5 years here. But for the $3-4K difference, I could fly to a US city with my wife and have a nice vacation, buy a flight case, and all three of us could fly back.

User Info Menu

I would agree with you DRS. My only observation is that I cannot recall seeing a Guild JS in _that_ condition in a long, long time. Wowsers!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ugarte
    I've been sniffing around at these for a couple years now, and there is nothing like coherence in pricing. Not to rain-too-hard on any Dealer's parade but I don't think anyone confuses the Guild version (or AA's for that matter) with the collectability of the Gibson JS. Beautifully made, and pretty scarce in any condition, Guild AA's can be found well south of 6K (even 60s vintage). The Guild JS is rarer to be sure but still. . .
    I was helping a buddy look for an old fully-carved 17" archtop with a 24 3/4" scale. He prefers old-style guitars to more recent Heritage, Campellone or other perfectly nice newer stuff that would get him there, so we were chasing a few old Guild AA/JS guitars. 6K is not out of line. But the ones we found were all heavily played, sunburst, and so forth. A concours-clean blonde with JS markings definitely commands a premium, whatever that might be - somewhere between typical asking prices and this asking price. "Wowsers" is right. My guess is that it is negotiable.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    I was helping a buddy look for an old fully-carved 17" archtop with a 24 3/4" scale. He prefers old-style guitars to more recent Heritage, Campellone or other perfectly nice newer stuff that would get him there, so we were chasing a few old Guild AA/JS guitars. 6K is not out of line. But the ones we found were all heavily played, sunburst, and so forth. A concours-clean blonde with JS markings definitely commands a premium, whatever that might be - somewhere between typical asking prices and this asking price. "Wowsers" is right. My guess is that it is negotiable.
    Not a hint of checking or crazing in the photos, not even oxidation on the screws. I have to admit I've never seen a '61 anything that clean (although I wasn't doing that much guitar-shopping back in 61), so its definitely an outlier.

User Info Menu

This is the cleanest example I have seen.